Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

9,000 AQM just vanished from 2019 and am now bellow 50K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold

As of yesterday I was at 55k AQM from 2019 and upon looking this morning it seems aeroplan/altitude removed me 9,000 AQM pushing me below the 50K mark and I'm now at 46K.
This was the only way I keep track of my progress and when I checked on late december I was guaranteed to have passed and qualified for 50K now it seems I cannot do a miles run.

I did some digging and it shows that one of my transatlantic TAP business flight had posted twice, and they removed it this morning (sneaky).

What is my recourse here? I find it quite unfair that all this "correction" and "amendments" are done after Dec.31st.
Even the buy/top-up status link doesn't work anymore saying I no longer qualify for this promotion as it may have passed (email date Jan 9th) or I may no longer be eligible (maybe because the system had noticed later that I passed 50k)

Any help would be appreciated thanks all
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by royal757
What is my recourse here?
Very little, I suspect. It seems you didn't earn the required 50K AQM or select the lower re-qualification privilege, which would have lowered the threshold to 45K. Maybe you could get them to reinstate the buy-up offer?

I sympathize with you to some extent, but did you never notice the double posting before? Or were you not surprised at earning 18K AQM for one flight? You can say that you relied on the online AQM counter, sure, but AC will also say that they (or TP) were well within their rights to correct what was clearly an error.

You could certainly try asking for more, but I suspect that getting a buy-up offer is about the best you'll realistically do.
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:32 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This sucks.

Adam has offered a good suggestion. But while I suspect that you are well and truly SOL this time, this is another good reason to keep at least some kind of record yourself on mileage.

While these exact circumstances may not repeat themselves, at least you will have early warning about any future discrepancies. Sorta trust, but really, really verify if it is important to you.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:46 am
Original Poster

thanks for the help guys, I called aeroplan and nothing they can do to reinstate the buy-up offer. They said I have to reply to the original email, and the offer ends Jan 9th. So I doubt they will do anything nor reply before that date.
I don't get why things are so complicated, and I feel cheated as there was false representation of the mileage balance and just when I can't fly anymore for 2019 they decide to amend it to reflect correct amount (ok no problem, but at least give me a warning or do it before the year end?)
Whom should I contact to get a quick reply for the status buy up offer? I'd go that route, but I can't even do it the webpage denies me.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
thanks for the help guys, I called aeroplan and nothing they can do to reinstate the buy-up offer. They said I have to reply to the original email, and the offer ends Jan 9th. So I doubt they will do anything nor reply before that date.

[...]

Whom should I contact to get a quick reply for the status buy up offer? I'd go that route, but I can't even do it the webpage denies me.
Via phone, both AC and Aeroplan are there essentially for reservations/ticketing and associated issues, not customer service.

I'd suggest you fill out the customer relations form on the AC website. They're generally pretty quick to respond and can probably direct your issue to someone who can actually take action on it, whereas the folks on the phone may not even know where to start with this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I don't get why things are so complicated, and I feel cheated as there was false representation of the mileage balance and just when I can't fly anymore for 2019 they decide to amend it to reflect correct amount (ok no problem, but at least give me a warning or do it before the year end?)
I guess you could try and deduce an executives email address, but there are no obvious paths for the various customer service departments to respond, ever, in a manner which any reasonable person would consider quickly.

If you have ever filed an AQD discrepancy, there is that email address... obviously incorrect, but also goes to only a couple of actual humans and may skip queues.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
What's sneakier - not telling AC about double posted miles or AC taking them away?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
What was the date of your transatlantic TAP business flight?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I feel really bad for the OP, it sucks to have the rug pulled out from under you. However, if the mileage was incorrect on the account because of a double posted TATL flight, I'm not sure there is a recourse.
m.y and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Since the adjustment was apparently made to correct a mistake, I'm not sure I understand why the OP seems to feel like they were treated unfairly or that they should have any recourse.
ls17031 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Since the adjustment was apparently made to correct a mistake, I'm not sure I understand why the OP seems to feel like they were treated unfairly or that they should have any recourse.
because I keep track of my AQM with my dashboard, and I don't refresh everyday. I took around 40 flights this year. I relied on the dashboard to indicate to me where I stand.

Seeing 55K AQM and thinking "great, I don't need to do a mileage run" and then in January randomly I login and I see 46K AQM for 2019 makes me think "What happened? I can't even do a mileage run 2019 has ended and on Jan1st, 2nd, 3rd I still had 55K AQM"

feel me? I just feel like something was missrepresented, and even if yes the TAP flights did post twice. Why wait until now to tell me and remove them?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
What was the date of your transatlantic TAP business flight?
Mid October, around the 16th
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
feel me?
I don't. Based on this post, you monitor your account enough to know when a flight doesn't post, but not enough to see a flight double post?
bagadonitz likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Why wait until now to tell me and remove them?
But... they did tell you. By virtue of posting it in your account over 2 months ago, twice. It would have showed in your transaction history.

Personally, if I’m pursuing status and checking my dashboard, I’m also verifying each and every segment (of my 62) every time they post.

Maybe you breeze by the dashboard once in a while and don’t check the transactions, but to say they didn’t tell you isn’t accurate. If it was in your total AQM counter, it was in your transaction list, for at least 2 months.

All that notwithstanding, I do super sympathize. It sucks for sure. Unfortunately, likely a cautionary tale as I suspect it will be tough to get the status. A customer service contact form or outreach to the Twitter team -might- result in the buy-up offer being reinstated? But I’d love to hear a story about how they helped somehow, so please keep us posted...

Good luck.

Last edited by yyckerr; Jan 5, 2020 at 7:09 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:12 pm

I would simply write them an email and explain what happened (I assume there is an Altitude email address you can contact for E50 similar to the Super Elite priority email). Tell them you relied on the dashboard and didn’t catch that a flight had double posted. Had you realized they had made a posting error you’d have taken an extra discretionary flight to get your status.

Ask them to see if they’ll bump you up, or maybe ask for some sort of challenge to requalify at a lower mileage in the first 90 days of 2020.

Remember that at the end of the day you did not fly the requirements for E50 and that anything they give you is simply goodwill. You can point out that although they were entitled to correct their posting error, you relied on the information they’d previously posted to base your travel decisions for the remainder of 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.