Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Noncompliant AC DH-8s banned from US Airspace EFF Jan1 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noncompliant AC DH-8s banned from US Airspace EFF Jan1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by codfather
Sorry, I didn't realize we were being that technical lol
It's mentioned in the OP.
painintheuk and yytleisure like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
Sorry, I didn't realize we were being that technical lol

So it is hardware, but it still has to have some software to work I am sure, so I am like 50% right

Of course you are right. ADS-B (out or out & in) or ADS-C (out or out & in) requires Hardware and Software
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
It's mentioned in the OP.
Alright alright, you guys win...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by choppertester
Of course you are right. ADS-B (out or out & in) or ADS-C (out or out & in) requires Hardware and Software
software only as so much as a transponder requires software to translate the data entered (either through knobs or entry pad) to a digital format that is transmitted
jaysona likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If Bahamasair is paying $190k @ piece installed on 737-500, I hardly see the AC investment as "millons" per Dash-8 aircraft as another message above eluded to.

If the $190k price is in the ballpark: a plane that flies, say 8 segments a day--means $65 in cost per segment for a year, then paid off. So, less than $2 per passenger on that plane for one year.

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 5, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
If Bahamasair is paying $190k @ piece installed on 737-500, I hardly see the AC investment as "millons" per Dash-8 aircraft as another message above eluded to.

If the $190k price is in the ballpark: a plane that flies, say 8 segments a day--means $65 in cost per segment for a year, then paid off. So, less than $2 per passenger on that plane for one year.
Millions across an almost to be retired fleet, not per aircraft. And that's assuming that such equipment is even available.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
From the above Jan1 image, I see 9 Canadian registration planes flying without ADS-B. I didn't take the time to cross reference against AC fleet list to see if AC is the only noncompliant operator in Canada. (Plus a single point in time won't show any of the aircraft that weren't in the air at the exact moment).

Did the only Skytrax 4* carrier in North America not feel the need to invest in this safety mandate?

I'm *sure* no customers notice a 35min longer flight time--nobody flies on a connecting flight in the winter. As we all know the DH8 is a speed demon compared to a jet
The real question to me is why is Transport Canada letting airlines off the hook. If the FAA has deemed this technology necessary for safety then what is different about Canada that justifies Canadian aircraft flying without it?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by RangerNS
C-GONY: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-GONJ: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-FJVV: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-FRUZ: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-GUON: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-GKUK: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
C-GEWQ: AC (Jazz) Dash-8
Does this prohibition apply equally to all American airspace? YYZ-YAM typically has a brief incursion into U.S. airspace over northern Michigan. Two of the aircraft listed above have flown this route since Jan 1 and according to flightaware.com were over the U.S. Or is the list not accurate?

C-FJVV, Jan 4
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-fjvv
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...205Z/CYAM/CYYZ

C-FRUZ, Jan 5
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-fruz
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...755Z/CYYZ/CYAM
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The real question to me is why is Transport Canada letting airlines off the hook. If the FAA has deemed this technology necessary for safety then what is different about Canada that justifies Canadian aircraft flying without it?
ADS-B being required isn’t directly about safety, it’s about preparing to end the use of traditional radar and to allow surveillance in more areas than is (or was) possible with standard radar.

The US went with ground based ADS-B, and NavCanada is going with space based ADS-B. The FAA decided to go with a blanket everyone all altitudes needs ADS-B by Jan 1 2020. NavCanada is/was planning a phased approach. All Class A (typically FL180 and above) airspace and Class E airspace above FL600 by Jan 1 2021, Class B airspace (typically 12500 - up to but not including FL180) by Jan 1 2022.

I can try to find out more about the Canadian plans tonight at work if someone cares enough. I personally don’t. Space based ADS-B is here already in some areas of Canada, and eventually ADS-B will filter down to low level airspace where I work, but I don’t see it coming anytime soon.
airoli, D582, canadiancow and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Does this prohibition apply equally to all American airspace?
Yes and no. Part of the issue is that some of Canadian Domestic Airspace has been delegated to US ARTCCs as has some US Domestic Airspace been delegated to Canadian ACCs.

While the approach to CYAM may enter US airspace, it’s actually controlled by Toronto Centre and the relevant airspace for that airport (as well as KANJ, and KCIU) has been delegated to Canada for control purposes.
tcook052, D582, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Yes and no. Part of the issue is that some of Canadian Domestic Airspace has been delegated to US ARTCCs as has some US Domestic Airspace been delegated to Canadian ACCs.

While the approach to CYAM may enter US airspace, it’s actually controlled by Toronto Centre and the relevant airspace for that airport (as well as KANJ, and KCIU) has been delegated to Canada for control purposes.
Thanks. I've flown in and out of YAM well over a hundred times and until today didn't know the nearby Michigan airspace was controlled out of Toronto. ^

Last edited by Badenoch; Jan 5, 2020 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Basically, the device receives GPS and relays that to ground stations. It replaces ATC radar, more or less. It is far more accurate and precise, in position and time.

I would not assume that Jan 1 things were in any practical sense better, but it means the FAA can implement much closer spacing of aircraft, and thus much more use of the airspace.

Canada doesn't have any where near the same traffic problems as does the USA. We must have plans to upgrade ground gear to receive the data, but there is not the same rush.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

software only as so much as a transponder requires software to translate the data entered (either through knobs or entry pad) to a digital format that is transmitted
And of course software to receive and convert a few other parameters from other aircraft systems and buses. Pilots are not that quick on the keypads or knobs LOL even with the Millenial generation.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by choppertester
And of course software to receive and convert a few other parameters from other aircraft systems and buses. Pilots are not that quick on the keypads or knobs LOL even with the Millenial generation.
True, but it's not software in the common usage of the word. a "software" upgrade infers that one could load an update/program and you're good to go. Far from it.

And as for pilots being quick on their (k)nobs.... I have heard stories, but I don't think this is the place to talk about that
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
ADS-B being required isn’t directly about safety, it’s about preparing to end the use of traditional radar and to allow surveillance in more areas than is (or was) possible with standard radar.

The US went with ground based ADS-B, and NavCanada is going with space based ADS-B. The FAA decided to go with a blanket everyone all altitudes needs ADS-B by Jan 1 2020. NavCanada is/was planning a phased approach. All Class A (typically FL180 and above) airspace and Class E airspace above FL600 by Jan 1 2021, Class B airspace (typically 12500 - up to but not including FL180) by Jan 1 2022.

I can try to find out more about the Canadian plans tonight at work if someone cares enough. I personally don’t. Space based ADS-B is here already in some areas of Canada, and eventually ADS-B will filter down to low level airspace where I work, but I don’t see it coming anytime soon.
Thanks for the explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.