Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Stopped by FA when Exiting the Plane

Stopped by FA when Exiting the Plane

Old Jan 3, 20, 4:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 847
Stopped by FA when Exiting the Plane

First time flying PVG- YYZ route in J. Past work trips typically had me going via HKG or PEK.

Upon landing, we all stood up. I was the sole young(ish) female looking pax, in a hoodie and jeans in the J cabin. Anyway, we all queued to get out. I had just a purse. Exit was on the left side (of the plane) and I queued on the right aisle, then turned right once I reached the galley area leading to the exit. Bunch of PE passengers were waiting too, opposite the galley.

When it was about my turn to get out, the FA guarding the exit blocked me, gave me a look, and let the two older men who queued on the other business class aisle (the aisle closer to the exit) out even though it should have been my turn. I was quite puzzled, but let the incident go, and tried to get out again after those two guys.

The FA stopped me again, and in a very matter-of-the-fact tone, said: ďBusiness class passengers get out first.Ē She was loud enough that everyone around the exit looked at me.

I was so confused by what happenedó that I let another two passengers exit, before I inched closer. The FA looked like she was about to bite my head, before I calmly said, my seat was 2K, and Iím a business class passenger. The J passenger behind me said yeah me too!

The FA seemed shocked for a second then muttered oh sorry. I childishly rolled my eyes and got out.

I know I donít look like an executive or anything but this is the first time I felt totally freakiní judged based on perhaps a combination of factors... thought of filing a complaint but I really canít muster the energy to do. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things... though Iím sure I will meet her again, having to fly this route often now. Shrugs
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:56 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,463
@theOtherHolmes

Sorry to hear about your experience. I and others can relate as you'll see in a thread I started based on my experiences How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?
24left is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Windsor/Detroit
Programs: AC*SE100K, Wyndham dimond, Amex Plat Cnd & USA, Canadian army vet, Yoga teacher.
Posts: 139
This happens to me all the time. I am 30 years old but look like I am 22, I travel in cargo work pants or PJ's. I am AC SE 100K I fly J on upgrade mostly. there are a few of us that get judged hard. I love seeing the oil workers in YYZ that get judged but they are SE/75K and fly in J.
LesDorgo is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:09 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO (temp YYZ)
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,060


This is why you take an A/D seat I guess?

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@theOtherHolmes

Sorry to hear about your experience. I and others can relate as you'll see in a thread I started based on my experiences How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?
This has nothing to do with status.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:22 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,463
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
......This has nothing to do with status.
I was waiting for you to post exactly that line.

You missed why I linked the other thread. But I'll explain anyway. Some AC employees - in the air or on the ground - have made incorrect assumptions about some of AC's pax. It doesn't matter if the incorrect assumption was based on being seated in J but not looking like what they think a J customer should look like, or whether you or I or others who have status that we spent money to earn, and are assumed by some AC employees not to be that status.

I don't fly the PVG-YYZ route, but many years flying the AC routes to HKG and TPE in particular, I see the J cabin with not just people in their 30's in hoodies, but young children. I've learned that many of them are not only paid J but also have status.

The OP's experience is just another example of an AC employee who made an incorrect assumption about a pax, in this case, someone who was a business class pax.
24left is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:23 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,407
Take it as a compliment and move on.

Or, have a hoodie made up with a mock up of a J boarding pass prominently displayed.
awayIgo, YFCacademic and ctbarron like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:49 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO (temp YYZ)
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,060
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
I was waiting for you to post exactly that line.

You missed why I linked the other thread. But I'll explain anyway. Some AC employees - in the air or on the ground - have made incorrect assumptions about some of AC's pax. It doesn't matter if the incorrect assumption was based on being seated in J but not looking like what they think a J customer should look like, or whether you or I or others who have status that we spent money to earn, and are assumed by some AC employees not to be that status.
And if the L2 boarding agent had said "turn right sweetie" in PVG, I'd agree.

But at the end of the flight, ESPECIALLY if their sole job is to allow J pax to leave first, I expect them to know what we look like. That's not a "you don't look like J" moment, it's a "I didn't bother to glance at the cabin to see who we have, or coordinate with the other FA across the galley to make sure that they're properly blocking PY and allowing J".

I put this in the same category as not getting served a meal in J. It's not because you don't look the part, it's because someone screwed up.

Making assumptions based on appearance only makes sense when there's no expectation for them to know who you are or where you belong. At the end of a TPAC, they should know you're in J, or at the very least, be coordinated enough to manage the flow of passengers from the starboard aisle.
karachi, awayIgo, Plumber and 4 others like this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:50 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,463
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
And if the L2 boarding agent had said "turn right sweetie" in PVG, I'd agree.

But at the end of the flight, ESPECIALLY if their sole job is to allow J pax to leave first, I expect them to know what we look like. That's not a "you don't look like J" moment, it's a "I didn't bother to glance at the cabin to see who we have, or coordinate with the other FA across the galley to make sure that they're properly blocking PY and allowing J".

I put this in the same category as not getting served a meal in J. It's not because you don't look the part, it's because someone screwed up.

Making assumptions based on appearance only makes sense when there's no expectation for them to know who you are or where you belong. At the end of a TPAC, they should know you're in J, or at the very least, be coordinated enough to manage the flow of passengers from the starboard aisle.
Yes.
24left is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 90
You need a specifically made T shirt extolling the class of service you're flying.
bruceba likes this.
meltedmarshmellow is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:01 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 847
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
And if the L2 boarding agent had said "turn right sweetie" in PVG, I'd agree.

But at the end of the flight, ESPECIALLY if their sole job is to allow J pax to leave first, I expect them to know what we look like. That's not a "you don't look like J" moment, it's a "I didn't bother to glance at the cabin to see who we have, or coordinate with the other FA across the galley to make sure that they're properly blocking PY and allowing J".

I put this in the same category as not getting served a meal in J. It's not because you don't look the part, it's because someone screwed up.

Making assumptions based on appearance only makes sense when there's no expectation for them to know who you are or where you belong. At the end of a TPAC, they should know you're in J, or at the very least, be coordinated enough to manage the flow of passengers from the starboard aisle.

Exactly. I donít usually get dumbfounded just because an airline staff doesnít think Iím elite enough. If I did Iíd probably get too many wrinkles from frowning.

But this incident had me scratching my head for a while ó she was a FA serving J. She didnít recognize me. She didnít even give me the benefit of doubt.

Next time I see her when I board, I will make sure to verbally confirm with her that Iím going to be in 2K
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; Jan 3, 20 at 6:49 pm
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:05 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (Wave as you fly over)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 3,462
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Next time I see her when I board, I will make sure to verbally confirm with her that Iím going to be in 2K
Better yet, when you board, let her know you've flown with her before and introduce yourself. Maybe that will fix the problem (with her) permanently.
Symmetre and 24left like this.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:22 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: YEG
Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
If I did Iíd probably get too many wrinkles from frowning.
Thereby solving the root of the problem. Genius!
bcnfish, volabam, yrp and 3 others like this.
bambinomartino is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:44 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: YYJ
Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 110
I'm 60 and this happens to me in my Patagonia sweaters and joggers. Skinny, bearded, bike riding type.

I was thinking of buying a 2010 Blackberry just to prove that I'm flying in AC business.

Don't let it get you down theOtherHolmes, you are perfect just the way your are.
jkordyback is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:55 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 847
Originally Posted by jkordyback View Post
I'm 60 and this happens to me in my Patagonia sweaters and joggers. Skinny, bearded, bike riding type.

I was thinking of buying a 2010 Blackberry just to prove that I'm flying in AC business.

Don't let it get you down theOtherHolmes, you are perfect just the way your are.
I once carried two blackberries and I was barely 20! People definitely treated me with respect.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:24 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,398
Was there not an FA blocking starboard side PE for exiting at 2L?
DrunkCargo likes this.
yyznomad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: