Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Stopped by FA when Exiting the Plane

Stopped by FA when Exiting the Plane

Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I don’t agree. Someone who gets on in pajamas usually isn’t flying first class. And to her I just wandered up there for all she knew. Obviously my attire she’s gonna assume I’m in J or the front of Y.
On connecting itineraries, why would I change out of the pajamas just to change back into them after a 1 hour lounge visit? The airlines offer pajamas in F, so it definitely shouldn't surprise them when passengers choose to wear pajamas in F.

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Some airlines have FA's station at the divider between Y and J and will not allow any Y passengers to pass into the J cabin until all J passengers have disembarked.
Like AC.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I don't think it was appropriate for the FA to behave in this manner (as many others have noted above), but the OP should have spoken up sooner.

Whenever I am in J, I frequently get looks as if I don't belong because I am a 20-year old with somewhat of a babyface No FAs have ever been that rude to me (yet), but my reaction, if they did, would be very standoffish to say the least.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
No FAs have ever been that rude to me (yet), but my reaction, if they did, would be very standoffish to say the least.
You catch more flies with honey.

Being standoffish should be a second or third reaction when the honey doesn’t stick.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:17 pm

And as I remember it, he took it into a lounge after a dare on this board.

Originally Posted by 24left
You can thank @Dorian (early 2015?) for that brilliant gem, which I reposted March 2015

Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyckerr
You catch more flies with honey.

Being standoffish should be a second or third reaction when the honey doesn’t stick.
I should have edited my post immediately after I sent it! Neglected to add this.

Yes, I would only get standoffish if s/he proceeded to ignore me after my initial requests to let me through as a J passenger.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Plumber
I board and get off all my TPAC flights In a business suit- with jacket.

This allows me to do a 10 day stint with only a carry-on bag.

Once on-board I change into shorts and tshirt to sleep. My suit gets hung. I change back an hour before landing and I leave the plane very fresh after a 13 hour flight.

Has worked for me for many years. I have never been questioned as to whether I am in the wrong place.
Thats fine. The guy didn’t change on the 10 hour flight. He was seated across on the other aisle. He wore the suit all the way to London, and then got off with it on. I suppose he didn’t want to change? I don’t know... That’s why the incident stood out. I should’ve been more clear.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Thats fine. The guy didn’t change on the 10 hour flight. He was seated across on the other aisle. He wore the suit all the way to London, and then got off with it on. I suppose he didn’t want to change? I don’t know... That’s why the incident stood out. I should’ve been more clear.
I have seen passengers in economy wearing suits for 10 hours or more.
Plumber and meltedmarshmellow like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
And as I remember it, he took it into a lounge after a dare on this board.
This was the trial run @ home.

Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was there not an FA blocking starboard side PE for exiting at 2L?
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Some airlines have FA's station at the divider between Y and J and will not allow any Y passengers to pass into the J cabin until all J passengers have disembarked.
This would be my question.

First mistake: Holding back J pax
Race, apparent gender, clothing, socioeconomic stature, all irrelevant. If the blocking FA failed to block PY or released PY too soon, the issue isn't with the ignorant pax edging to deplane, the issue is with the FA on the G/K side: Person in galley implies entitlement to deplane. I expect this from an airline who is forcing everyone to disembark from a single hole, door 2L. On some types, blocking PY might be more difficult because J/PY boundary doesn't coincide with a galley, however on a 789 this mitigating excuse doesn't exist. This alone would not anger me, despite being denied actual entitlement to deplane.

Second mistake: Being rude to any customer about anything other than an immediate safety or security concern
No words other than "Merci de voler avec Air Canada" or "感谢您乘坐加拿大航空" should be spoken, unless something more gracious can be conjured up. This second mistake would earn a retort of equal verbal escalation, and apparently from pax stuck behind the OP as well. OP did say she was discreet about the correction, which is way more patience than I would have been.

I didn't read the FT post as venting; more asking for advice on further escalation or leaving it alone. As I'm somewhat known for not leaving things alone, I'd recommend leaving this one alone.

I am a bit curious how OP knew she was the only "young(ish) female looking pax" in J... when I sit in J, being superiorly elite, I'm so self-absorbed I generally never notice other pax unless they make themselves noticeable. Maybe those who feel judged are projecting? Also I apologize in advance if "she" isn't the correct pronoun... "female looking" is ambiguous.
arf04 likes this.

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Jan 4, 2020 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by yyckerr
I fly in J all the time. Of my 62 segments last year, I think I wore a ball cap on 60 of them. Jeans on 62. But I carry myself as though I belong (I do), I make eye contact and always say hello to the SD and FA’s when I board. I might be wearing a ball cap and adidas - but I always look good , I follow the rules, use appropriate luggage, and am unwaveringly polite.
Well gosh, I didn't know we were name dropping! My bad. My yellow shoes are arc'teryx, my cap is a custom made flexfit and my shorts are icebreaker. :P

But fun aside, fair post.
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:42 pm

I haven't read the whole thread. But, I would say look at such interactions through a systemic lens as discourses that frame individual actions, often historically rooted, are the ones that matter and merit a response. Intersectionality is also important.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
This would be my question.

First mistake: Holding back J pax
Race, apparent gender, clothing, socioeconomic stature, all irrelevant. If the blocking FA failed to block PY or released PY too soon, the issue isn't with the ignorant pax edging to deplane, the issue is with the FA on the G/K side: Person in galley implies entitlement to deplane. I expect this from an airline who is forcing everyone to disembark from a single hole, door 2L. On some types, blocking PY might be more difficult because J/PY boundary doesn't coincide with a galley, however on a 789 this mitigating excuse doesn't exist. This alone would not anger me, despite being denied actual entitlement to deplane.

Second mistake: Being rude to any customer about anything other than an immediate safety or security concern
No words other than "Merci de voler avec Air Canada" or "感谢您乘坐加拿大航空" should be spoken, unless something more gracious can be conjured up. This second mistake would earn a retort of equal verbal escalation, and apparently from pax stuck behind the OP as well. OP did say she was discreet about the correction, which is way more patience than I would have been.

I didn't read the FT post as venting; more asking for advice on further escalation or leaving it alone. As I'm somewhat known for not leaving things alone, I'd recommend leaving this one alone.

I am a bit curious how OP knew she was the only "young(ish) female looking pax" in J... when I sit in J, being superiorly elite, I'm so self-absorbed I generally never notice other pax unless they make themselves noticeable. Maybe those who feel judged are projecting? Also I apologize in advance if "she" isn't the correct pronoun... "female looking" is ambiguous.
I generally get to see everyone in the cabin when I stand up to queue. And I observe out of boredom.

Now that I think about it, was it PY on the other side of the galley? Perhaps not. I thought they were. I didn’t make note of them until I was in the galley waiting for my turn.

Some folks questioned why there were other people holding up the queue behind me and said that makes my story less plausible. Of course there were other pax behind me! I was in a queue and there were other J pax behind me in the very same queue who were equally as confused as to why I was stopped by the FA.

I honestly couldn’t have made this up.

I wasn’t venting. It’s an interesting story I occasionally tell. Note that I didn’t object to being blocked right away. Note that I didn’t complain officially after. I really don’t get worked up about it, but thought here would be a place to tell this bemusing tale.

As to those who implied or outright expressed that I ought to dress the part, act the part, or speak the part, whatever. Nah. I have enough self esteem and self respect — that grooming up for flying isn’t what I care for. I happen to have a job that deals with way too many elites (myself included), that I don’t particularly enjoy acting elite.

The one thing I didn’t like about the FA was her rude attitude, not that she didn’t “respect” me or anything, but that she had the guts to lecture me, mistaking me for someone who has a questionable morale. I happen to be a very easy going and polite person, thank you very much.
PB53x11 and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: Air Asia, Nok, Skymiles, Infinity Miles, Aeroplan, Hilton Honor, Accor, Regal
Originally Posted by Stranger
Discriminating based on race or sex may be morally wrong but in personal settings, it's not illegal. But here we are talking about a business organization dealing with customers. In which case discriminating based on attire is equally bad. What people paid for their ticket does not depend upon attire. I see no logic in discriminating against people with enough confidence to prioritize comfort over appearance.

As to pax discriminating against each other, nothing one can do about that apart from ethics, which at the end of the day is personal. But I would rather discriminate against that tacky lady fancily dressed in pink and who was filing her nails in the LHR MLL the other day than against someone in shorts or jeans. The latter being more or less the standard attire in J nowadays, anyway. Of course the people in the back who feel they need to dress up because you know, flying is so fancy are another story... I suspect people in Y typically dress more fancy than in J...
I understand and personally agree with you, but I trust you understand that we must deal with reality and that just isn't the case outside of certain regions. For example, we still have airlines with discriminatory labour practices. May I remind you that FT members still complain about about the age, size and beauty of FAs, so we see a double standard here.

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I generally get to see everyone in the cabin when I stand up to queue. And I observe out of boredom.
Now that I think about it, was it PY on the other side of the galley? Perhaps not. I thought they were. I didn’t make note of them until I was in the galley waiting for my turn.

Some folks questioned why there were other people holding up the queue behind me and said that makes my story less plausible. Of course there were other pax behind me! I was in a queue and there were other J pax behind me in the very same queue who were equally as confused as to why I was stopped by the FA.

I honestly couldn’t have made this up.

I wasn’t venting. It’s an interesting story I occasionally tell. Note that I didn’t object to being blocked right away. Note that I didn’t complain officially after. I really don’t get worked up about it, but thought here would be a place to tell this bemusing tale.

As to those who implied or outright expressed that I ought to dress the part, act the part, or speak the part, whatever. Nah. I have enough self esteem and self respect — that grooming up for flying isn’t what I care for. I happen to have a job that deals with way too many elites (myself included), that I don’t particularly enjoy acting elite.

The one thing I didn’t like about the FA was her rude attitude, not that she didn’t “respect” me or anything, but that she had the guts to lecture me, mistaking me for someone who has a questionable morale. I happen to be a very easy going and polite person, thank you very much.
Much of what we do is influenced by our perceptions. Sometimes we start with a disadvantage in life and adjust. For example, taller and more physically attractive people tend to be given better treatment in social interactions. It is not fair, but is our social reality. Many instinctively compensate for these features, either through clothing or cosmetics or accoutrements and how they carry themselves. You perceive yourself one way, and a fatigued, perhaps socially unaware FA perceived you in a different manner. One can ''blame" the FA, and initiate the should have, could have argument, but, this suggests that one lost control of the situation. The FA may not be able to meet your requirement of advanced sentient ability.

I have read all the comments about pajamas, ball caps, gym clothes etc. This seems to be a very North American behaviour, and is unusual elsewhere. Yes, people can dress as they wish, but they are delusional if they believe that their expectation of being treated consistently as high end customers will be met. It defies human behaviour and is not going to happen unless they are physically attractive and have a seductive smile. The academic studies are there and one can argue the issue sideways until Fort William FC wins a cup, but the reality is that people will be influenced by physical appearance.

This was a flight to PVG. As a practice, Asians (from Asia) in J dress respectively when flying in premium classes. Only westerners dress in their sandals, camping gear etc. Show up at the immigration kiosk looking like that and you will be closely scrutinized. That is reality. Westerners don't want to hear about this, but this is how it works. Not everyone in the world accepts this western driven shaving off of attire standards and there will sometimes be "misunderstandings". One will have sympathy on a western forum, but try this on Wechat, Pantip, Weibo etc. and I expect that the OP would be mercilessly shredded.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Gaikhao
I understand and personally agree with you, but I trust you understand that we must deal with reality and that just isn't the case outside of certain regions. For example, we still have airlines with discriminatory labour practices. May I remind you that FT members still complain about about the age, size and beauty of FAs, so we see a double standard here.

Much of what we do is influenced by our perceptions. Sometimes we start with a disadvantage in life and adjust. For example, taller and more physically attractive people tend to be given better treatment in social interactions. It is not fair, but is our social reality. Many instinctively compensate for these features, either through clothing or cosmetics or accoutrements and how they carry themselves. You perceive yourself one way, and a fatigued, perhaps socially unaware FA perceived you in a different manner. One can ''blame" the FA, and initiate the should have, could have argument, but, this suggests that one lost control of the situation. The FA may not be able to meet your requirement of advanced sentient ability.

I have read all the comments about pajamas, ball caps, gym clothes etc. This seems to be a very North American behaviour, and is unusual elsewhere. Yes, people can dress as they wish, but they are delusional if they believe that their expectation of being treated consistently as high end customers will be met. It defies human behaviour and is not going to happen unless they are physically attractive and have a seductive smile. The academic studies are there and one can argue the issue sideways until Fort William FC wins a cup, but the reality is that people will be influenced by physical appearance.

This was a flight to PVG. As a practice, Asians (from Asia) in J dress respectively when flying in premium classes. Only westerners dress in their sandals, camping gear etc. Show up at the immigration kiosk looking like that and you will be closely scrutinized. That is reality. Westerners don't want to hear about this, but this is how it works. Not everyone in the world accepts this western driven shaving off of attire standards and there will sometimes be "misunderstandings". One will have sympathy on a western forum, but try this on Wechat, Pantip, Weibo etc. and I expect that the OP would be mercilessly shredded.
A good friend of mine who’s from China and born with, dare I say, a diamond spoon, never dressed up for F cabin. Of course, half of the time it’s his own (or his dad’s) plane.

Whenever I see people who dress to the nines to fly, I’m reminded of junior associates in my firm who just ignores casual Friday’s and wears a three piece every day. Yup I was that person eight years ago. Nowadays I don’t need to wear a suit to prove myself anymore. Hooray!
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This thread stopped being useful so will be closure to it.

tcook052
AC forum moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.