Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I am fed up with Air Canada and I am suing them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am fed up with Air Canada and I am suing them

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Strange as it was your lawyer couldn't pull an address for you, asking that, we are now clearly in "you need a lawyer" territoryi
When did OP claim they had a lawyer working on their behalf?
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Norcanair
When did OP claim they had a lawyer working on their behalf?

I dont have a lawyer involved.
And I am reasonably familiar with the small claims process. Getting my evidence together right now and labeling it, I should be ready to mid next week.
As someone mentioned, a higher up participation from AC on this would avoid any of this. Let the dice fall as it may...
Norcanair and hoipolloi like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:52 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
How did this turn out?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:13 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
He's labeling the evidence..
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

An update.
I have filed the paper work with the courts and AIr Canada has been served.
2 phone calls and 2 emails later they offered a partial refund which i have declined.
Then Covid happened. Going to court to find out an approximate hearing date this coming Monday.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Steinbock
An update.
I have filed the paper work with the courts and AIr Canada has been served.
2 phone calls and 2 emails later they offered a partial refund which i have declined.
Then Covid happened. Going to court to find out an approximate hearing date this coming Monday.
Only a partial refund? What was their logic to that (if they offered you any)?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:22 pm

In Ontario you'd first be called to a mandatory settlement conference before any trial during which both parties are encouraged to make a deal. Both sides would be given an opinion by the arbitrator on their chances of success at trial. Is it the same in BC?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Best of luck!
AC may decide to make a full offer just before trial or they may decide to tough it out and call your bluff. I hope you prevail.
pmaclell likes this.

Last edited by Jagboi; Jul 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

yes, same in BC

Originally Posted by yowspotter
In Ontario you'd first be called to a mandatory settlement conference before any trial during which both parties are encouraged to make a deal. Both sides would be given an opinion by the arbitrator on their chances of success at trial. Is it the same in BC?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Best of luck!
AC may decide to make a full offer just before trial or they may decide to tough it out and call your bluff. I hope you prevail.

I am seeking exemplary damages and compensation for lost time. So it will not be easy, but I am, based on the evidence and their reply, very optimistic
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Only a partial refund? What was their logic to that (if they offered you any)?
There is no such thing as logic for settlement. Basically, case or no case, it is an amount to convince something dropping the case. Usually, the larger the target,the smaller the settlement amount.
​​​​​
I am seeking exemplary damages and compensation for lost time. So it will not be easy, but I am, based on the evidence and their reply, very optimistic
This is where I have a strong reservation.

Small Claims judges are usually conservative in ruling because they deal with pro se all the time. So unless the evidence is very convincing, such as Air Canada employed an unlicensed pilot to fly the plane and caused injuries, Small Claims judges are unlikely to issue a judgment with punitive damages unless it is statutory required.

Based on what you have posted so far, it is an overcharge By Air Canada. So to be honest, your chance getting punitive is very low.

Also , when AC said a partial refund, was that the amount overcharged or a partial of it? Keep in mind, if you have ever traveled on the premium class because of the paid upgrade, you are not supposed to get that portion back.

Don't forget - in the unlikely event that the court actually awards you punitive damages, the total damages will not exceed the Small Claims maximum.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
There is no such thing as logic for settlement. Basically, case or no case, it is an amount to convince something dropping the case. Usually, the larger the target,the smaller the settlement amount.
​​​
I wasn't asking for analysis of AC's internal rationale, I was asking whether AC offered any explanation to him/her during the discussion of the offer, which is something that many people do (and with two e-mails and two phone calls, it seems likely that the AC rep would have said something).

As for the rest of your statement, it's incorrect (and also somewhat self-contradictory). Unless someone is throwing darts at randomly-generated numbers on a dartboard, there's always logic to an amount offered in any negotiation (litigation or otherwise). Even "this is as little as I think this person will accept" is a form of logic, and is usually based on some sort of analysis of the situation, and why that person would accept that amount.

If the OP's case is as clear cut as (s)he has portrayed it, it seems odd that AC's lawyers would continue to waste their time on litigating the case rather than just repaying the overcharge. Either they're tilting at windmills or there's more to the story than the OP has told us.

The former is not impossible - look at the ridiculous case of the guy who was IDBed off his YVR-YXY flight, with AC claiming he missed his inbound YYZ-YVR that he clearly did make - but the latter is generally more plausible. I'd like to know more and was asking the OP to share some of the context.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 11, 2020 at 1:15 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:49 am

The issue is actually very simple. I bought an upgrade to a business class for two people. The gate clerk swiped my credit card 4 times, claiming the transactions timed out. They did not, all transactions were posted to my credit card. So I paid 4 times for the same purchase.
I have submitted the claim for a refund several times, besides receiving a canned email response, they were ignored. Countless telephone calls were met with "Please start an online case, we cannot help help you over the phone". After 7 months of this, I WILL sue them.

As for other questions:
The boarding pass clearly says "Air Canada" but the flight was operated by Jazz. I am not sure if that makes a difference, hence my post asking for help.
And yes, I am looking for all the help I can get.
I also realize that the odds are usually stacked against the consumer, however Air Canada has zero chances of winning this case as I have every piece of documentation and evidence needed.

Those who wish to help - please do. I will post an update as the case proceeds.
File a chargeback with credit card. Much easier.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
File a chargeback with credit card. Much easier.
Read the rest of the thread...
lowfareair and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I wasn't asking for analysis of AC's internal rationale, I was asking whether AC offered any explanation to him/her during the discussion of the offer, which is something that many people do (and with two e-mails and two phone calls, it seems likely that the AC rep would have said something).
Most won't.

As for the rest of your statement, it's incorrect (and also somewhat self-contradictory). Unless someone is throwing darts at randomly-generated numbers on a dartboard, there's always logic to an amount offered in any negotiation (litigation or otherwise). Even "this is as little as I think this person will accept" is a form of logic, and is usually based on some sort of analysis of the situation, and why that person would accept that amount.
I see that you have tried hard to form a logic behind settlement. But somehow, settlement has no logic - some may decide to pay in full based on demand. Some may still nickel and dime even with a strong case. Even some settlement is sizeable even having no case.

You may be able to find a logic after analyzing the settlement after the fact. But the settlement by itself has no logic.

I stand correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.