Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada and Amex Plat IAP program

Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Looking for feedback here on booking and getting any kind of saving with Amex Plat IAP (International Airline Program) on Air Canada bookings. Apparently AC is part of the Canadian version of Amex Travel IAP available to Plat card holders. When I tried a couple of booking on-line with Amex travel, seems like there is no saving compared to a regular booking on AC or elsewhere.
Anyone have any luck with this ? Do I have to call in ?
Some of the other forums mention savings with the IAP program but they seem to be US based and on airlines other than AC.

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vernonc
Looking for feedback here on booking and getting any kind of saving with Amex Plat IAP (International Airline Program) on Air Canada bookings. Apparently AC is part of the Canadian version of Amex Travel IAP available to Plat card holders. When I tried a couple of booking on-line with Amex travel, seems like there is no saving compared to a regular booking on AC or elsewhere.
Anyone have any luck with this ? Do I have to call in ?
Some of the other forums mention savings with the IAP program but they seem to be US based and on airlines other than AC.

Thanks
I believe you are mistaken. AC is not a part of the Canadian or US Amex IAP:
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...e-program.html
https://consumer-travel.americanexpr...irline-program
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I believe you are mistaken. AC is not a part of the Canadian or US Amex IAP:
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...e-program.html
https://consumer-travel.americanexpr...irline-program

AC is part of the Canadain Centurion AMEX Card IAP benefits; not part of the Canadian AMEX Platinum card IAP benefits.

If one has an Aeroplan Plus AMEX Platinum card (a different card than AMEX Platinum card) ; once every year one can get a 2 for 1 economy short haul award ticket (ie 15,000 miles for 2 tickets - pay taxes and fees for both tickets - one books through the Aeroplan telephone agent; the telephone booking fee is waived).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
AC is part of the Canadain Centurion AMEX Card IAP benefits; not part of the Canadian AMEX Platinum card IAP benefits.
Good info thanks. Don't think I'll ever be invited to the Centurion program though..
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:48 pm

I booked 2 YYZ-FRA-RAK J-class tickets on Lufthunsa as part of my regular Platinum IAP ... the YYZ-FRA portion was on AC metal, RAK on LH.

It offered up *significant* cost savings ... almost 50%

So it can be done.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I booked 2 YYZ-FRA-RAK J-class tickets on Lufthunsa as part of my regular Platinum IAP ... the YYZ-FRA portion was on AC metal, RAK on LH.

So it can be done.

Did you get the full Aeroplan miles accrued to your account - was it J class or P class?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Did you get the full Aeroplan miles accrued to your account - was it J class or P class?
P class, and yes, I got full miles (150% P class)

PM me if you want with itin, I can do a few screen shots of what IAP will come up with to give you an idea
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
P class, and yes, I got full miles (150% P class)

PM me if you want with itin, I can do a few screen shots of what IAP will come up with to give you an idea
Did you have to call in or was the savings shown online ?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:14 pm

Online.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Are there IAP discounts available on the Business Platinum or just the regular Platinum ?

I can't see any savings when checking a couple routes
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:25 pm

So it can be done.
How do air tickets purchased through American Express compare in terms of competitiveness with tickets purchased through other sites?

Thank you
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IntermittentFlyer
How do air tickets purchased through American Express compare in terms of competitiveness with tickets purchased through other sites?

Thank you
It all depends which credit card you purchase them with. Some Amex cards qualify for substantial discounts, while others don't.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
It all depends which credit card you purchase them with. Some Amex cards qualify for substantial discounts, while others don't.
Let's say that one uses the AMEX Platinum Card.
Thank you
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:31 am

So it can be done.
Was this booked with LH flight no. but code share operated by AC?
Last summer when I booked YYZ-FRA-VCE, I was only able to get the IAP discount if I booked LH flight no. although it was operated by AC.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:42 am

I answered my own question ..........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.