Nexus KTN field missing?

Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Nexus KTN field missing?

Good morning, I can't seem to find where to enter my Nexus number. The KTN field page is missing in the AC manage my bookings page. Where is it please? I remember adding it when I was making my booking but wanted to confirm.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I think you're confusing a Known Traveller Number (KTN) with a Nexus number (often referred to as a Frequent Traveller Number, or FTN).

As I understand it, a KTN is for people with names similar to known bad people - and the KTN is a way for them to prove that although their name may trigger a warning, they are not the same person as the bad person.

I don't see my Nexus number showing up on my flight booking at all, but when I go to the account profile page (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/profile/view.html), I see a blank KTN for me ... and then if you scroll down, your Nexus card number should show up under the "Travel Documents" section.

The Nexus ID to use is the nine digit "PassID" number that is at the top left on the back of your Nexus card.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canopus27
I think you're confusing a Known Traveller Number (KTN) with a Nexus number (often referred to as a Frequent Traveller Number, or FTN).

As I understand it, a KTN is for people with names similar to known bad people - and the KTN is a way for them to prove that although their name may trigger a warning, they are not the same person as the bad person.

I don't see my Nexus number showing up on my flight booking at all, but when I go to the account profile page (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/profile/view.html), I see a blank KTN for me ... and then if you scroll down, your Nexus card number should show up under the "Travel Documents" section.

The Nexus ID to use is the nine digit "PassID" number that is at the top left on the back of your Nexus card.

I think you are confusing a Known Traveller Number with a Redress Number.

I also think the OP is referring to the APIS information, which pre-Amadeus was entered at booking, or any time thereafter,
but now can only be entered at check-in.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I think you are confusing Redress # with KTN . KTN is used for the purpose of TSA Pre and can be the Nexus PassID (or Global Entry or SENTRI or...). You now enter your KTN or Redress number through your profile on AC.com or through the App but not on the reservation itself since the move to Amadeus
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:23 am

I'm absolutely confused

Yes, I was mixing up the Redress number with the KTN ....

BUT

My Air Canada profile shows a blank KTN field, even though my Nexus card is listed on the page (as a travel document). Should I now be entering the Nexus number in both places?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
I'm absolutely confused

Yes, I was mixing up the Redress number with the KTN ....

BUT

My Air Canada profile shows a blank KTN field, even though my Nexus card is listed on the page (as a travel document). Should I now be entering the Nexus number in both places?
Yes
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I'm absolutely confused

Yes. KTN field is for TSA Pre when departing from USA. Nexus field is used as ID when departing from Canada or USA in lieu of passport.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes. KTN field is for TSA Pre when departing from USA. Nexus field is used as ID when departing from Canada or USA in lieu of passport.
Are the LGA agents still being ***holes about this and requesting a passport? It's so aggravating.

Next time I'm there and I have time, I am not bringing my passport. I will sacrifice myself for everyone and make a scene and call CBC.

Also, I get TSA Pre Check on all my TB flights departing Canada. Don't know why.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

Also, I get TSA Pre Check on all my TB flights departing Canada. Don't know why.
I've seen this across all airlines on flights to the US. Got TSA PRE on my UA HKG-SFO flight last month.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Are the LGA agents still being ***holes about this and requesting a passport? It's so aggravating.

Next time I'm there and I have time, I am not bringing my passport. I will sacrifice myself for everyone and make a scene and call CBC.

Make sure you're 100% allowed to do this without a passport. I know there was a rule somewhere at some time that you needed to have your passport on you for air travel.

I got into a bit of an argument with a YYJ GA about this during EYW. They said NEXUS wasn't sufficient for my YYJ-YVR-SFO, even though their screen was showing all my NEXUS info. "We're not a NEXUS station" etc.

Next time, I left my backpack in a YVR baggage locker with my passport in it, hoping I'd legitimately be able to say "I'm picking up my passport in YVR before my SFO flight". But next time, they accepted NEXUS.

You have to fight back just enough that they put in the effort to learn the rules, without going so far as to risk being offloaded.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:34 pm

Thing is, CBP/CBSA both are OK with Nexus only. But they do say "check with your airline as they may have different requirements".

Timatic specifically says that Nexus is enough to travel.

So it's literally the airline, but I checked everywhere on ACs website and couldn't find anything about it. The airlines always say " we just do what customs and immigration asks us to do", and never want to take responsibility for advising passengers which documents are required for travelling (call AC Res and ask them how to check which document is required for travel to the US and see what they say).

So honestly, AC shouldn't be allowed to say that it's my responsibility to check with customs / immigration directly, and then switch at the airport and require something different.

Also, the thing about an airport not being a "Nexus" airport is BS. Nexus is a machine readable document just like a passport. No special tools required.

Edit: also, I get this feeling that if you scan your Nexus at a check in kiosk, you will not get called for Doc Check at the gate.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by SparseFlyer; Jan 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Also, the thing about an airport not being a "Nexus" airport is BS. Nexus is a machine readable document just like a passport. No special tools required.
I know. That wasn't my first time departing YYJ for the US with my NEXUS card either.

Agent's attitude was more "we're not allowed" than "it's not possible".
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:35 pm

Thing is, CBP/CBSA both are OK with Nexus only.
I believe you ... but is that new?

When I first got my Nexus, I was told that I needed to have my passport with me - and that travelling without it could even result in revocation of my Nexus card.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:49 pm

I believe you ... but is that new?

When I first got my Nexus, I was told that I needed to have my passport with me - and that travelling without it could even result in revocation of my Nexus card.
Where is that? IIRC, I was told that I may want to have it since airlines may require it. So, since it's an airline requirement...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...erien-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/term-eng.html

No requirements to hold a passport in the above two.

Plus, Nexus is WHTI compliant document,and is considered an acceptable secure document: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

In addition, if you put departure as USA and arrival as CAN with only Nexus as travel document, Timatic shows the below (notice how it says "or accepted departure document, Nexus being WHTI, hence why it clears the passport requirement check):

canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by SparseFlyer; Jan 1, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:59 pm

Also, I'm sorry to all FTers... this particular topic really annoys me, and I get all fired up when it comes up
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.