Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Neither; it's the peat.
I see. Well if you don't normally like peat, you certainly won't like it at cask strength. I tried a cask strength Laphroaig, it wasn't bad but I didn't really see the point as it was pretty overpowering.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:54 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Cask strength is fine - you can always add a few drops of water. Or, if it's Winter, sip it neat.

But calling something "Peat" for me is like calling it "Dirt".

But your taste profile may vary.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Where do I get a bottle, really?!
I am always up for something that isn't the same old. PEAT doesn't scare me at all, and there are plenty out there that cater solely to that, cf The Peat Monster, but they generally disappoint when it comes to the more complex flavours. Peat is like hot food IMHO, some of us love it while others don't, but too often it becomes like a dare as to how far you can tolerate it.
Certainly looks it is likely cask strength, which I do think is worth experiencing with a well tested scotch palate, but I would never drink it regularly - too many volatiles that haven't been tamed so keep it to one dram at a time.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I am always up for something that isn't the same old. PEAT doesn't scare me at all
The peat doesn't scare me at all; I just know I don't like it
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Knowing I was heading to Canadian Tire today for a few household odds & ends I grabbed a small bundle of maybe $1 at most in Canadian Tire cash I've been meaning to redeem for the past few years however upon going through the check-out they were refused with a shrug and a comment that they weren't being accepted anymore.

Another sad sign of of the times.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by tcook052
Knowing I was heading to Canadian Tire today for a few household odds & ends I grabbed a small bundle of maybe $1 at most in Canadian Tire cash I've been meaning to redeem for the past few years however upon going through the check-out they were refused with a shrug and a comment that they weren't being accepted anymore.

I assume they mean “right now” and will one day? I’ve never collected that much and the $0.05 ones tend to get thrown. I don’t spend that much there, but they did get more business of late when they had no queues and Home Depot 200m away had a large one...

Interestingly enough they also accepted back boxes I bought and didn’t need without a receipt. I think that I returned them in ... April? May? Right after they re-opened to customers...
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
I assume they mean “right now” and will one day?
I asked and received another shrug.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:16 am
Suspended

I asked and received another shrug.
Typical Canadian Tire attitude to customer service. If there's one retailer that deserves to go bust it's that one.
RangerNS and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:54 am

This makes me feel less guilty, for years I've thought the best use for them was to take 'em travelling and staple them to the bar ceilings that collect cash. Thing was, rarely were they mine - usually dad's.

Of course I forgot them back in the hotel in Tallinn in February...
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jc94
I’ve never collected that much and the $0.05 ones tend to get thrown
I tend to use the little ones as bookmarks.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
We took the family on a hike on the Fundy Shore at Economy Point yesterday. It was a great outing for all of us. Lots of beautiful views and the tide was out so we were able to scramble down to the beach at one point and climb around on the rocks for a while.

Here a small smattering of pics:

Thomas Cove near Economy, NS

The shoreline. All of this would be underwater at high tide. Featuring daughter #2 looking at some periwinkles.

More shoreline

Not where we scrambled down to the shoreline

Look closely and you might see a partridge (or Grouse). Shame I don't have a camera with zoom.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Bohemian1, still nowhere near your 20+, but how am I doing?

Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:08 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That's an excellent selection!

You are one up on me with the Barbancourt.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Bohemian1, still nowhere near your 20+, but how am I doing?
I'm confused--it looks like only one bottle is open
​​​
Looks like a very nice shot glass collection in the background too!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by smallmj
We took the family on a hike on the Fundy Shore at Economy Point yesterday. It was a great outing for all of us. Lots of beautiful views and the tide was out so we were able to scramble down to the beach at one point and climb around on the rocks for a while.

Here a small smattering of pics:

Thomas Cove near Economy, NS

The shoreline. All of this would be underwater at high tide. Featuring daughter #2 looking at some periwinkles.

More shoreline

Not where we scrambled down to the shoreline

Look closely and you might see a partridge (or Grouse). Shame I don't have a camera with zoom.
I think I see it dead centre. Partridge is delicious, I hunt both Ptarmigan and Grouse here in NL during the season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.