Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by painintheuk
canadiancow you just need 14+ days notice to self-quarantine...

Dr. PITUK
Ugh. Can I quarantine with you?
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not sure whether anyone else here has been as annoyed as I have by those bloody Netflix autoplay previews for the last few years, with no way to disable them.

I've periodically gone searching the Internet for solutions and found none. Until finally, tonight, I did!

Turns out a few months ago they finally caved and added a way to turn it off:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

Apparently their Twitter post announcing it said "We've heard the feedback loud and clear — members can now control whether or not they see autoplay previews on Netflix." Kind of ridiculous that it took them many years to hear that feedback, but better late than never.

And it still autoplays a show after you've selected it from the menu, which is annoying, but it's a start.
THANK YOU! Have I told you recently that you are the "bestest"!! That was driving me crazy!

Although, we did watch Madagascar with the 16 and 18 yr old the other night because of the preview. They were surprised at the amount of humour for adults in the movie!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:05 pm

Germany, Austria, and Hungary

tcook052, Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Germany, Austria, and Hungary
Looks delicious. I have to ask, what is that just below 5 - 6?

YYC3722
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYC3722
I have to ask, what is that just below 5 - 6?
It doesn't look very appetizing, does it?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:06 pm

It was a pâté. I cannot recall what kind of meat it was. It was good.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So cow, what has been the most interesting thing you've learned from these tastings? Is it that you've found a particular wine or wines you really like? Have you learned something very useful about wine/food pairings? etc
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:58 pm

Cheese is good.
Meat is good.
Dessert whites are good.
White is bad.
Red is decent.
Cabarnet Sauvignon is awesome.
Strange Pinot Noirs can be good.

Blind tastings with cheese and meat is amazing when you have nothing better to do.

That's about it.
YYC3722 and FlY2XS like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
It doesn't look very appetizing, does it?
It looks delicious! But then again, I'm a pâté guy.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:20 am

I won't post the actual question here since I know it's not the right venue, but anyone have any recommendations for good places to ask about Air Miles stuff? I know on FT those are supposed to go in the WS forum, but there's not a lot of discussion on AMs going on there. RedFlagDeals was the other one I thought of, which seems to have a bit more lively of an AM discussion than FT. But anyone else have good tips?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Cheese is good.
Meat is good.
Dessert whites are good.
White is bad.
Red is decent.
Cabarnet Sauvignon is awesome.
Strange Pinot Noirs can be good.

Blind tastings with cheese and meat is amazing when you have nothing better to do.
So, any chance we'll see you drinking a Napa Cab one one of these Saturday nights instead of rum and Coke Zero?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
I won't post the actual question here since I know it's not the right venue, but anyone have any recommendations for good places to ask about Air Miles stuff? I know on FT those are supposed to go in the WS forum, but there's not a lot of discussion on AMs going on there. RedFlagDeals was the other one I thought of, which seems to have a bit more lively of an AM discussion than FT. But anyone else have good tips?
Not too helpful of me as you mentioned 2/3 but...
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/airm...ogram-2346352/
https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/ daily question thread
or, as you suggested, WS forum.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Not too helpful of me as you mentioned 2/3 but...
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/airm...ogram-2346352/
https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/ daily question thread
or, as you suggested, WS forum.
Thanks; I hadn't thought of reddit. RFD looks to have the most lively AM discussion of those three.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:02 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
After playfully dissing my friends on The Rock yesterday, I decide to make amends (sorta) and gorge on oysters and mini-bugs last night:

Admittedly that's West Coast seafood, but given the circumstances it will have to do.
canadiancow and YYCNoob like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
After playfully dissing my friends on The Rock yesterday, I decide to make amends (sorta) and gorge on oysters and mini-bugs last night:
Admittedly that's West Coast seafood, but given the circumstances it will have to do.
Mmmm, sea bugs!! I'm lazy though, I prefer 'em de-shelled.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Mmmm, sea bugs!! I'm lazy though, I prefer 'em de-shelled.
Yeah, I never know what to do with them when they are served to me. See MR Bean in France and you will know what I mean.
I am happy to deshell and prep when I cook (plus any cook knows, the shell blocks the spices and flavours you are adding), but just feel like someone is offloading their job to me when I am trying to enjoy a nice meal and they serve them whole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.