Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 11:59 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by painintheuk
My new laptop had a 'guaranteed' delivery of yesterday. Wednesday I got a notice of a delay until Friday. It was still in Kentucky. Ummmm... Does UPS know where Victoria is? Or Canada?

Dr. PITUK
YMMV, but UPS Canada is simply the worst for me.

I had a shipment that the shipped same day from NYC and was in Canada one day later. After a couple more days it arrived in Richmond (YVR) and they sent me an email saying that it would be delivered in two days.

And then it went to Delta. And then back to Richmond. Repeat x 3 over more than two weeks.

I called to complain, which was totally pointless as they could not tell me when I would get it, despite me getting emails every time it moved. The next day, almost three weeks after the initial delivery target date, it showed up.

Maybe I've just become accustomed to Amazon's seductively fast and accurate delivery dates, but I will reinstate my previous policy about not ordering from anyone who ships by UPS.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Maybe I've just become accustomed to Amazon's seductively fast and accurate delivery dates, but I will reinstate my previous policy about not ordering from anyone who ships by UPS.
Amazon's been annoying me lately (as in the past couple years). When I first started using them, if they missed a guaranteed delivery, that was a free month of Prime.

Now they'll refund any shipping fees you actually paid for, but they've told me to screw off if I'm using Prime's guaranteed delivery. So why even bother with Prime...
Old May 30, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Amazon's been annoying me lately (as in the past couple years). When I first started using them, if they missed a guaranteed delivery, that was a free month of Prime.

Now they'll refund any shipping fees you actually paid for, but they've told me to screw off if I'm using Prime's guaranteed delivery. So why even bother with Prime...
If you order enough stuff, isn't Prime still worth it for the free shipping?

I've debating whether it's worth paying for these days. Unlike many people, I've actually been ordering a lot less from Amazon recently, so I feel like I'm paying $8 a month for nothing. And I haven't really watched anything on Prime Video for a while.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you order enough stuff, isn't Prime still worth it for the free shipping?

I've debating whether it's worth paying for these days. Unlike many people, I've actually been ordering a lot less from Amazon recently, so I feel like I'm paying $8 a month for nothing. And I haven't really watched anything on Prime Video for a while.
It just means instead of ordering a $15 item today and a $20 item tomorrow, I'd have to wait an extra day for the first item so that my cart balance hit the $35 free shipping threshold or whatever it is.

I've also been ordering a lot less.

I use Prime Video every now and then, but mostly for paid content. I prefer Google's tech for buying video content, but I get 5% cashback on Amazon, so if they both have it for the same price...
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It just means instead of ordering a $15 item today and a $20 item tomorrow, I'd have to wait an extra day for the first item so that my cart balance hit the $35 free shipping threshold or whatever it is.
As an ex-Prime user, I've found that this behaviour is itself a money-saver, because 90% of the time when I return to my cart with the $15 item in it I've decided I don't actually want that thing anymore.

I also just buy less from Amazon because I'm fed up with how difficult it is to browse and compare really similar products on their site because there's no one canonical listing for any item. Ran into this recently when trying to purchase some good quality knives and eventually just gave up and ordered them elsewhere.

Amazon is still king for "common Chinese-made item that is that highly marked up by traditional retailers" but for many things, I'm finding that smaller but more focused retailers provide a much better shopping experience. For instance, Espresso Planet is a store in Mississauga for specialty coffee stuff that does a lot of online sales - I'd wager that anything on their site is the same price or less as Amazon, they always ship promptly and the organization of items was designed by someone who actually understands the products they're selling.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
So how many Aeroplan miles should we stockpile for a future partner redemption for a flight on Falcon 9?
Old May 30, 2020, 5:06 pm

Moving this over here...

In Gmail, if you go into a message in your spam folder, it should also say something like this at the top: "Why is this message in spam? It is similar to messages that were identified as spam in the past."

I did not receive the email in question, but this deep investigation just uncovered a class action email (legit, I've now Googled it) where I need to submit a claim within the next two weeks. Thank goodness Adam received his spam AC survey or I might be out $3.42.
Having read up even more, details are at https://www.autopartsettlement.ca/.

If you bought a new car from Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Subaru, Pontiac Vibe between January 1, 1999 and November 30, 2014, you're eligible. Minimum payout is $25.

The amount is (total settlement amount) * (your purchase value) / (total claimed purchase values). As such, it's directly proportional to your purchase value.

Has anyone else filed a claim? I just sent an email to the administrator because I'm not liking one part.

"Your purchase value will be determined based on the average MSRP (manufacturers’ suggested retail price) for the relevant model year." The claim form has a spot for manufacturer, year, and model, and it was pre-filled for me (as they got the information from Honda).

I bought a 2012 Honda Civic Si. Looking at 2020 Honda Civics, the Si (highest trim) MSRP is 40% more than the LX (lowest trim) MSRP. Not that I'm expecting much more than the $25, but it's a little annoying that it doesn't factor in the drastic price difference between trim levels on the same model/year.

And at the risk of lowering my settlement amount by getting you all to file a claim, you should all make a claim if you're eligible.

p.s. it was in my spam folder
Old May 30, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by expert7700
So how many Aeroplan miles should we stockpile for a future partner redemption for a flight on Falcon 9?
12 billion

Having read up even more, details are at https://www.autopartsettlement.ca/.

If you bought a new car from Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Subaru, Pontiac Vibe between January 1, 1999 and November 30, 2014, you're eligible. Minimum payout is $25.
Thanks. My dad bought two cars that should be eligible.

The amount is (total settlement amount) * (your purchase value) / (total claimed purchase values). As such, it's directly proportional to your purchase value.

Has anyone else filed a claim? I just sent an email to the administrator because I'm not liking one part.

"Your purchase value will be determined based on the average MSRP (manufacturers’ suggested retail price) for the relevant model year." The claim form has a spot for manufacturer, year, and model, and it was pre-filled for me (as they got the information from Honda).

I bought a 2012 Honda Civic Si. Looking at 2020 Honda Civics, the Si (highest trim) MSRP is 40% more than the LX (lowest trim) MSRP. Not that I'm expecting much more than the $25, but it's a little annoying that it doesn't factor in the drastic price difference between trim levels on the same model/year.
I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that this class action relates to very basic components. The Si and the LX almost certainly have exactly the same wiring harness, and the price difference between the two relates to other parts of the vehicle that are upgraded - there's no incremental profit margin built in to the SI's price relative to the LX's.

So it's actually quite logical for someone who bought an Si to receive the same settlement amount as someone who bought an LX.*

Even if there were some minor difference between the various models, class actions also need to take in to account administration costs. You might argue, having bought an Si, that you should be entitled to more cash than someone who bought an LX. But what about someone who bought an LX with a lot of options vs someone who bought a base LX? And then what about accounting for different people negotiating different deals? If someone negotiated a $1,000 lower price than you paid for your Si, should they be penalized for their negotiating skills with a lower settlement? It would be doable to adjust for all these factors, but would require a huge amount of extra work, which would mean far more fees to lawyers or someone else to administer it.

Lastly, keep in mind that a huge number of the claims will probably be rounded up to $25. So if you would have gotten $17.25 for your Si instead of $17.00 based on the average price for a Civic, it would have been washed out anyway.

*On the other hand, the harness manufacturer likely makes a higher margin on a harness that it sells to Acura vs a similar one it sells to Honda, so it makes sense for a $50K Acura buyer to get more than a $25K Honda buyer.

And at the risk of lowering my settlement amount by getting you all to file a claim, you should all make a claim if you're eligible.
I have my dad looking for the paperwork now. Did you just have yours in your e-mail?
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 30, 2020 at 6:59 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old May 30, 2020, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I have my dad looking for the paperwork now. Did you just have yours in your e-mail?
I sent an email asking my question, so I haven't submitted it, but your explanation makes sense. They didn't ask me for paperwork, because it had pre-filled my car already. If I said "I also bought another car", I might have needed some.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:58 pm

I sent an email asking my question, so I haven't submitted it, but your explanation makes sense. They didn't ask me for paperwork, because it had pre-filled my car already. If I said "I also bought another car", I might have needed some.
Ah, right, you got the e-mail. As far as I know, my dad hasn't received any correspondence that was pre-populated; I've just been filling out one for him from scratch.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I was out for a bike ride this morning, near Weston Road south of the 401, when an unusual plane went roaring right overhead - the Antonov An-225 Mriya, on approach to YYZ this morning. Quite a sight (and sound).
Old May 30, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by PB53x11
I was out for a bike ride this morning, near Weston Road south of the 401, when an unusual plane went roaring right overhead - the Antonov An-225 Mriya, on approach to YYZ this morning. Quite a sight (and sound).
Yeap, landed in YYZ earlier today from China (via Japan and Alaska) carrying PPE/medical supplies.

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detai...oto/1216299100

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...v_an225_mriya/
Old May 30, 2020, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ernest had the best video of the An225 arrival, taxi, "unveil" and an interesting gathering of "fans". I was amused as I found it hard to tell who was there for photo ops and who as there to work.

Bohemian1 and Yhztraveller like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:23 pm

YUL also welcomed the Antonov AN-225 Mriya earlier this month.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/largest-...ebec-1.4922002
Old May 30, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
YUL also welcomed the Antonov AN-225 Mriya earlier this month.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/largest-...ebec-1.4922002
Didn't we already have a lengthy discussion on that at the time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.