Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tcook052
You conveniently forgot married to Giselle.
Every time I mention that fact my beloved kicks me in the shins so I've deleted it from my mind.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Fine. So two decades ago.

All the cool companies are moving to GQL. Heck, even AC!
None of my clients will be going anywhere close to this anytime soon, and they're fine with it... and in a way, so am I.
D582, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Unfortunately, he's also telling his agent to find him a team. Here comes Favre 2.0 - and that's an ugly way to end a beautiful career.
I hope not. Not saying you're wrong, but my hope is that he'll be back, playing for the league minimum so that the team can afford to pay some weapons. Unlikely, but we can all dream, can't we?
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Time for Bergevin to go? Even as a buds fan, I feel sorry for habs fans!

(#sportspuck)
Sean Peever and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: TK *G
Random question, do you guys have any recommendations on payment processors in Canada?

Our volume is quite low right now (<$1M per year) but it's expected to grow. We use Stripe for credit card payments and is thinking about using Paysafe for EFTs.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by songsc
Random question, do you guys have any recommendations on payment processors in Canada?

Our volume is quite low right now (<$1M per year) but it's expected to grow. We use Stripe for credit card payments and is thinking about using Paysafe for EFTs.

I find stripe very easy and quick to use for smaller businesses. If your volume get s a lot higher you can get better rates elsewhere. Also depends on your industry, some processors will only do certain industries. I know Cannabis companies are having a hell of a time.
songsc likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I find stripe very easy and quick to use for smaller businesses. If your volume get s a lot higher you can get better rates elsewhere. Also depends on your industry, some processors will only do certain industries. I know Cannabis companies are having a hell of a time.
We are very happy with Stripe right now. Only problem is they don’t do EFT (direct debit) payments, only credit cards. They are planning to launch EFT payment in Canada though.

We are in talks with Paysafe. We negotiated a good rate, but integration isn’t smooth, as we have to keep asking them to properly config our account. That’s why I am looking for alternatives.

Industries wise we are ok, we stay far away from those grew areas. We are also PCI SAQ A compliance.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
While I am not particularly nostalgic, I have found the most efficient way to relive the days of yore is to interact with a chartered bank.

Seriously, what an effed up industry.
Was Mr. Scrooge able to fix it for you? It reminds me of when I used the online website to get a credit card and then had to make three in person visits to the bank.

The best online support was using their secure portal and telling me they couldn't answer my question on this non secure secure chat because it wasn't secure and I needed to login (which is why I was contacting them) to log a secure message.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
REST is so last century
I was asked for assistance with REST queries yesterday.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K
My favourite bank interactions are when you research what you want, know they offer it, and you're eligible for it, but they don't believe you.

Something along the lines of:

Me: Hi, I'd like to get one of these at this amount.

Them: Okay....before I put this through I cannot promises that you can get that...

Me: Please try

Them: Okay then (pause) OH! (pause) give me a minute to get all the paperwork ready, can my assistant get you anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?

Me, thinking to myself: (insert face palm) here we go again.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marchelli
My favourite bank interactions are when you research what you want, know they offer it, and you're eligible for it, but they don't believe you.

Something along the lines of:

Me: Hi, I'd like to get one of these at this amount.

Them: Okay....before I put this through I cannot promises that you can get that...

Me: Please try

Them: Okay then (pause) OH! (pause) give me a minute to get all the paperwork ready, can my assistant get you anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?

Me, thinking to myself: (insert face palm) here we go again.
That's because you don't like you have any top tier airline status.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That's because you don't like you have any top tier airline status.
Not even with the three piece suit?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:41 pm

All the cool companies are moving to GQL. Heck, even AC!
Sounds like a great endorsement .
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
I was asked for assistance with REST queries yesterday.
REST isn’t going anywhere for a long time. And for many use cases it’s perfectly fine. (For example if all you need is a couple of GETs and POSTs with very narrow scope and very structured data then it’s fine).

But if your app needs to make multiple round trip calls to multiple URL endpoints and ends up receiving more data than it needs, GraphQL is much better suited and can be much more efficient.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
REST isn’t going anywhere for a long time. And for many use cases it’s perfectly fine. (For example if all you need is a couple of GETs and POSTs with very narrow scope and very structured data then it’s fine).

But if your app needs to make multiple round trip calls to multiple URL endpoints and ends up receiving more data than it needs, GraphQL is much better suited and can be much more efficient.
Yep, agreed. Just because a technology is "old" does not necessarily make it "useless" or "outdated"... some don't get deprecated (even old versions) for decades. Many of my clients are fine with REST. Some don't even use REST and that's fine and dandy be them, as well as myself.

Besides, when we're talking about airlines, banks, old-blood companies, etc. that have been around for decades/centuries, there is a lot of "stuff" behind that scenes, including old but perfectly functioning systems that are often not worth it to replace... oh, and I'm also perfectly fine with recommending using JSON, REST, and other grandma technologies when the situation presents itself. All of my clients are perfectly happy with this... and tbh, these things are the least of their worries/problems.

(Before JSON became mainstream, I was using other very old-school techniques that are still in use today by past clients... to the, if it ain't broke, don't fix it)
D582 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.