FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2001930-forum-lounge-thread-2020-a.html)

WaytoomuchEurope Jan 7, 2020 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 31920408)
You conveniently forgot married to Giselle.

Every time I mention that fact my beloved kicks me in the shins so I've deleted it from my mind.

yyznomad Jan 7, 2020 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31919753)
Fine. So two decades ago.

All the cool companies are moving to GQL. Heck, even AC!

None of my clients will be going anywhere close to this anytime soon, and they're fine with it... and in a way, so am I. :)

Adam Smith Jan 7, 2020 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31920272)
Unfortunately, he's also telling his agent to find him a team. Here comes Favre 2.0 - and that's an ugly way to end a beautiful career.

I hope not. Not saying you're wrong, but my hope is that he'll be back, playing for the league minimum so that the team can afford to pay some weapons. Unlikely, but we can all dream, can't we?

yyznomad Jan 7, 2020 9:33 pm

Time for Bergevin to go? Even as a buds fan, I feel sorry for habs fans!

(#sportspuck)

songsc Jan 8, 2020 2:18 pm

Random question, do you guys have any recommendations on payment processors in Canada?

Our volume is quite low right now (<$1M per year) but it's expected to grow. We use Stripe for credit card payments and is thinking about using Paysafe for EFTs.

Sean Peever Jan 8, 2020 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 31925445)
Random question, do you guys have any recommendations on payment processors in Canada?

Our volume is quite low right now (<$1M per year) but it's expected to grow. We use Stripe for credit card payments and is thinking about using Paysafe for EFTs.

I find stripe very easy and quick to use for smaller businesses. If your volume get s a lot higher you can get better rates elsewhere. Also depends on your industry, some processors will only do certain industries. I know Cannabis companies are having a hell of a time.

songsc Jan 8, 2020 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31925538)
I find stripe very easy and quick to use for smaller businesses. If your volume get s a lot higher you can get better rates elsewhere. Also depends on your industry, some processors will only do certain industries. I know Cannabis companies are having a hell of a time.

We are very happy with Stripe right now. Only problem is they don’t do EFT (direct debit) payments, only credit cards. They are planning to launch EFT payment in Canada though.

We are in talks with Paysafe. We negotiated a good rate, but integration isn’t smooth, as we have to keep asking them to properly config our account. That’s why I am looking for alternatives.

Industries wise we are ok, we stay far away from those grew areas. We are also PCI SAQ A compliance.

jc94 Jan 8, 2020 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31917943)
While I am not particularly nostalgic, I have found the most efficient way to relive the days of yore is to interact with a chartered bank.

Seriously, what an effed up industry.

Was Mr. Scrooge able to fix it for you? It reminds me of when I used the online website to get a credit card and then had to make three in person visits to the bank.

The best online support was using their secure portal and telling me they couldn't answer my question on this non secure secure chat because it wasn't secure and I needed to login (which is why I was contacting them) to log a secure message.

jc94 Jan 8, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31919672)
REST is so last century

I was asked for assistance with REST queries yesterday.

marchelli Jan 8, 2020 8:13 pm

My favourite bank interactions are when you research what you want, know they offer it, and you're eligible for it, but they don't believe you.

Something along the lines of:

Me: Hi, I'd like to get one of these at this amount.

Them: Okay....before I put this through I cannot promises that you can get that...

Me: Please try

Them: Okay then (pause) OH! (pause) give me a minute to get all the paperwork ready, can my assistant get you anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?

Me, thinking to myself: (insert face palm) here we go again.

yyznomad Jan 8, 2020 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by marchelli (Post 31926558)
My favourite bank interactions are when you research what you want, know they offer it, and you're eligible for it, but they don't believe you.

Something along the lines of:

Me: Hi, I'd like to get one of these at this amount.

Them: Okay....before I put this through I cannot promises that you can get that...

Me: Please try

Them: Okay then (pause) OH! (pause) give me a minute to get all the paperwork ready, can my assistant get you anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?

Me, thinking to myself: (insert face palm) here we go again.

That's because you don't like you have any top tier airline status. :p

marchelli Jan 8, 2020 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 31926710)
That's because you don't like you have any top tier airline status. :p

Not even with the three piece suit? :p ;)

painintheuk Jan 8, 2020 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31919753)
All the cool companies are moving to GQL. Heck, even AC!

Sounds like a great endorsement :).

D582 Jan 9, 2020 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 31926363)
I was asked for assistance with REST queries yesterday.

REST isn’t going anywhere for a long time. And for many use cases it’s perfectly fine. (For example if all you need is a couple of GETs and POSTs with very narrow scope and very structured data then it’s fine).

But if your app needs to make multiple round trip calls to multiple URL endpoints and ends up receiving more data than it needs, GraphQL is much better suited and can be much more efficient.

yyznomad Jan 9, 2020 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 31930474)
REST isn’t going anywhere for a long time. And for many use cases it’s perfectly fine. (For example if all you need is a couple of GETs and POSTs with very narrow scope and very structured data then it’s fine).

But if your app needs to make multiple round trip calls to multiple URL endpoints and ends up receiving more data than it needs, GraphQL is much better suited and can be much more efficient.

Yep, agreed. Just because a technology is "old" does not necessarily make it "useless" or "outdated"... some don't get deprecated (even old versions) for decades. Many of my clients are fine with REST. Some don't even use REST and that's fine and dandy be them, as well as myself.

Besides, when we're talking about airlines, banks, old-blood companies, etc. that have been around for decades/centuries, there is a lot of "stuff" behind that scenes, including old but perfectly functioning systems that are often not worth it to replace... oh, and I'm also perfectly fine with recommending using JSON, REST, and other grandma technologies when the situation presents itself. All of my clients are perfectly happy with this... and tbh, these things are the least of their worries/problems.

(Before JSON became mainstream, I was using other very old-school techniques that are still in use today by past clients... to the, if it ain't broke, don't fix it)