The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 27, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Whats with all these limited editions and airport duty free exclusive single malts ? Kind of hard to figure out what they are and where they fit in the stack from a pricing and taste perspective. Getting harder to just but a decent single malt at duty free that we know instead of some 'exclusive'
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
punching tools for hard plastic

Anyone here know of any tools on the market that can punch 0.25" x 0.25" squares from hard plastic that is roughly 1/16" thick?
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Anyone here know of any tools on the market that can punch 0.25" x 0.25" squares from hard plastic that is roughly 1/16" thick?
An expired Kit Kat from AC 31?
expert7700 and RatherBeInYOW like this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Lee Valley has something that's made for wood but might work.

Search for "Square Hole Punches" on their site.
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Whats with all these limited editions and airport duty free exclusive single malts ? Kind of hard to figure out what they are and where they fit in the stack from a pricing and taste perspective. Getting harder to just but a decent single malt at duty free that we know instead of some 'exclusive'
It's "exclusive" so that you can't google the product to find out it is the same price at home.....
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Why is punching necessary? Punching is cheep if you already have the tool, or a machine shop, but otherwise get a jigsaw, or Dremel even
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Some distilleries are especially bad for this, like Highland Park. Once upon a time it was just 12 year old, 18 year old and the occasional special bottling. Now there are 3 new no age statement travel exclusives every month.

I like how some distilleries have barely changed their lineup in my adult life - if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 9:04 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
Some distilleries are especially bad for this, like Highland Park. Once upon a time it was just 12 year old, 18 year old and the occasional special bottling. Now there are 3 new no age statement travel exclusives every month.

I like how some distilleries have barely changed their lineup in my adult life - if it's not broken, don't fix it.
I get that some breweries do not want to show the age since they seem to be short on aged liquor - Macallan is one of the main ones. Kavalan is another. However the duty free exclusives make it hard to compare to anything else in market and thats likely the point. But I dont want to blindly buy something on which there is no price compare and more importantly no reviews.
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I received a moronic request at work today, which was accompanied by the entire email chain that originated it.

Someone in Paris HQ was asked to write a report about a topic they could easily have researched themselves, and indeed should be an expert on based on their job title.

They emailed every single regional health & safety manager in a global, 200k+ employee company asking each of them to write a report and submit it back to HQ.

Those regional managers then forwarded the request to every site manager, at least 3,000 individual people.

There are now 3,000 reports being submitted, largely by people who don't have the resources or knowledge to do so properly, because one person didn't put in the work.

Gotta love bureaucracy.
ffsim, pewpew, canadiancow and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
As someone who works for a large company also based in Paris, I will resist making generalizations. But our company is also good at intricate bureaucracy. At least for some things.

My BS bucket ain't full yet but one day it may be time for start-up #3 .
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
I received a moronic request at work today, which was accompanied by the entire email chain that originated it.

Someone in Paris HQ was asked to write a report about a topic they could easily have researched themselves, and indeed should be an expert on based on their job title.

They emailed every single regional health & safety manager in a global, 200k+ employee company asking each of them to write a report and submit it back to HQ.

Those regional managers then forwarded the request to every site manager, at least 3,000 individual people.

There are now 3,000 reports being submitted, largely by people who don't have the resources or knowledge to do so properly, because one person didn't put in the work.

Gotta love bureaucracy.
YYCNoob likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: none
Gotta love it when my daughter's flight takes off around the time it was supposed to land, and then we have to drive home in a snowstorm. 1:15 am is awfully late for this old man to get home.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm not often in the office so the daily trivial things that happen don't tend to bother me. Lately I've been here more frequently and this morning I find myself very annoyed by one particular thing.

What is difficult about using a headset for your Skype call? Given the global nature of my company/business, we are all on calls all the time, but why on earth do I have to listen to 3 or 4 different calls from neighboring offices all at once?

As I said, trivial. But man it's grinding my gears today.
D582, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
I'm not often in the office so the daily trivial things that happen don't tend to bother me. Lately I've been here more frequently and this morning I find myself very annoyed by one particular thing.

What is difficult about using a headset for your Skype call? Given the global nature of my company/business, we are all on calls all the time, but why on earth do I have to listen to 3 or 4 different calls from neighboring offices all at once?

As I said, trivial. But man it's grinding my gears today.
one of my biggest pet peeves is people not using headphones. For calls, music, videos, etc.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Oh, itís got nothing to do with the difficulty of using a headset and everything to do with trying to sound important to those within earshot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: