Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
You cannot make this stuff up, David Ayres lives the dream in one-of-a-kind win over Maple Leafs. The Toronto Marlies’ 42-year-old Zamboni driver and emergency backup goalie was pressed into duty and got his first, and probably last, NHL win.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYCNoob
For someone who has never been to an NBA game, what's a court/arena with a good atmosphere to go enjoy a game other than Toronto?
Is the atmosphere you're looking for in the arena itself or the city/area around the arena?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
You cannot make this stuff up, David Ayres lives the dream in one-of-a-kind win over Maple Leafs. The Toronto Marlies’ 42-year-old Zamboni driver and emergency backup goalie was pressed into duty and got his first, and probably last, NHL win.
The Leafs jokes write themselves some days.

My favourite quote from the article, “They didn’t need a goaltender the way the game was going.”
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
My wife has asked me to consider moving east of Quebec.

I can work remotely, so that part is fine, and it seems we could purchase a decent place given we own in BC where values are crazy...

She seems hung up on NB and open to NS. I've explained that I need to be within 45 minutes of an airport.

Can those of you from NB and NS list the cons of the suburbs of either Saint John or Halifax?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
My wife has asked me to consider moving east of Quebec.

I can work remotely, so that part is fine, and it seems we could purchase a decent place given we own in BC where values are crazy...

She seems hung up on NB and open to NS. I've explained that I need to be within 45 minutes of an airport.

Can those of you from NB and NS list the cons of the suburbs of either Saint John or Halifax?
I'm not sure I'd consider SJ to have an airport :0. It'll mean an extra segment to get anywhere, or at least really long layovers. Halifax will eventually get direct to Europe back, or indirect on the same A/C via the place everyone hopes you mean when you mumble "Saint John".

45 minutes of either could get you solidly into the hinterland, and a rounding error on selling Vancouver property. SJ burbs would be presumably cheaper than Halifax if you are seeking something that isn't the woods. Even urban Halifax is within 45 minutes, 99% of the time.

The Halifax real estate market is on the upswing, the conspiracy theory being that foreign money has taken Toronto and Vancouver for all it can. If you are thinking of your home price 10 years from now, Halifax would easily win.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:33 am

My father once had a job offer to go back to Saint John. He declined, saying "Life is too short to live in Saint John twice."

Go to Halifax. It is a beautiful city.

edit: Come to the YHZ do in June and see for yourself! #shamelessplug
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Seconding Halifax. I lived there for a year, and it was a great city. The only catch is winters are worse there than in Vancouver, but that's true for everywhere
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:32 pm

Power up the laptop in this suite upgrade (two bathrooms, no usable work surface) , the n and b keys aren't working.

Guess I've got to find a Target. And figure out how to get a Canadian laptop repaired under warranty in Chicago.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Guess I've got to find a Target. And figure out how to get a Canadian laptop repaired under warranty in Chicago.
I hope it's easier than getting a phone screen repaired when not in your home country. I've had great difficulty with that in the past.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Raps laid a beating on the Pacers today. Up almost 50 at one point.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
Seconding Halifax. I lived there for a year, and it was a great city. The only catch is winters are worse there than in Vancouver, but that's true for everywhere
Halifax beats Saint John hands down.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Power up the laptop in this suite upgrade (two bathrooms, no usable work surface) , the n and b keys aren't working.

I would just pick up a USB keyboard and use it until you can get it fixed in Canada.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
I would just pick up a USB keyboard and use it until you can get it fixed in Canada.
Thus the trip to Target.
Adam Smith and smallmj like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Anyone have any experience with vested* RSUs at a private company that gets acquired?

All the articles I can find are fro UNvested RSUs.

*They've hit the time-component but obviously not the liquidity event
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone have any experience with vested* RSUs at a private company that gets acquired?

All the articles I can find are fro UNvested RSUs.

*They've hit the time-component but obviously not the liquidity event
Would the acquisition not be the liquidity event? E-mail me if you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.