The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 30, 19, 9:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 20, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Sitting in the Queen Victoria Building in SYD, admiring the sights, sipping mimosas while some dude a floor below me is confidently cruising his way through The Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, without sheet music of course. That done, I guess it's time for a polonaise.

Life is grand.

Except for my next flight on VA. Nothing some more bubbles can't solve.
Along with your previous posts, it seems that know your classical music! Would be happy to talk shop.
one of these days we should organize a jlisi984 concert do. I do see he's playing with TSO in early April.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Along with your previous posts, it seems that know your classical music! Would be happy to talk shop.
one of these days we should organize a jlisi984 concert do. I do see he's playing with TSO in early April.
I'd certainly be interested. Two Beethoven concertos in one day for the weekend concerts!

By the way, I recently discovered Alexandra Stréliski. I don't normally enjoy 'contemporary classical' but I really enjoyed her latest album.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
I'd certainly be interested. Two Beethoven concertos in one day for the weekend concerts!

By the way, I recently discovered Alexandra Stréliski. I don't normally enjoy 'contemporary classical' but I really enjoyed her latest album.
hmm... maybe this will work?

I know, right! It looks like PC3 was an addition/not part of the original programming? I hadn't noticed it last month when I took a look.

She gets significant airtime on Classical FM in southern Ontario... I love it all!
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Not sure I'd be in. I prefer my Rhapsodies to be Bohemian rather than Hungarian 😉
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:55 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Didn't really get any good details. Just that they were doing a lot of work and a lot of comparisons and that they were targeting foreigners (e.g. Australians coming to Canada...) as well as Canadians with the program. And when I told him my flying patterns he said he thought I would be exited by it. So I guess we'll see

Haha, I didn't read that he was in SYD until after I posted! I was in one of the speakeasy bars - very cool place but no view
Bolding mine. I have long been “exited” by the enhancement of Altitude
Old Feb 7, 20, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I just spend a few minutes in OMNI/PR, and I'm reminded why I try to avoid it.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Wow, forum lounge thread way down on page 4...

Anyone here use Excel much? If so, curious what people are thinking of the new XLOOKUP function. Ages ago I started using COLUMN/ROW functions to avoid hard-coding the column/row number so that VLOOKUPs didn't break so easily, but they still have their limitations. Then I stated using INDEX+MATCH or OFFSET+MATCH to replace VLOOKUPs when I created new stuff. But this XLOOKUP looks super simple, might be quicker and easier than those. Only issue, as far as I can see, is lack of backward compatibility for people running older versions of Excel.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:42 am

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Titanium
That's is the biggest issue. It will take forever to migrate people over to a version that support XLOOKUP. I would want to try out it, but I am stuck with Office 2016 at work.
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by lewis_m View Post
That's is the biggest issue. It will take forever to migrate people over to a version that support XLOOKUP. I would want to try out it, but I am stuck with Office 2016 at work.
For sure. I replaced some VLOOKUPs with XLOOKUPs in a spreadsheet I use just for myself last night, since I'm on the subscription, but for something like the AQM/AQD calculator that may be used by a wide variety of people, I won't replace them.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Hope the Raps extend their streak tonight
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Hope the Raps extend their streak tonight
Nope, couldn't win vs. Nets on the road. Still a great run and better record than last year so great first half of season going into all-star break.
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Nope, couldn't win vs. Nets on the road. Still a great run and better record than last year so great first half of season going into all-star break.
Both teams played poorly. Wish they played well and lost - this was just sad.
Anyway, really amazing run.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Both teams played poorly. Wish they played well and lost - this was just sad.
Anyway, really amazing run.
Yep, not a great game. But it did have to end at some point I suppose.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
For someone who has never been to an NBA game, what's a court/arena with a good atmosphere to go enjoy a game other than Toronto?
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by YYCNoob View Post
For someone who has never been to an NBA game, what's a court/arena with a good atmosphere to go enjoy a game other than Toronto?
Target Center in Minneapolis would be my suggestion. Go early and check out First Avenue, a famous live music venue made famous by Prince in the 80's which is across the street from the arena.
YYCNoob likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: