Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This reminds me of when Roy "Doc" Halladay passed away in a plane crash and how sudden it felt for someone I'd never met. RIP Kobe. 😢
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
This reminds me of when Roy "Doc" Halladay passed away in a plane crash and how sudden it felt for someone I'd never met. RIP Kobe. 😢
I thought just throat cancer, but back for Top Gun 2 (The Space Cowboys remake).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by tcook052
RIP Kobe Bryant, Laker legend, dies at age 41 in a helicopter crash near L.A.
His passing has hit me very hard. I love basketball. I love the Raptors, and before the Raptors joined the league, I loved Magic and the Lakers. When the Lakers traded for Kobe and then signed Shaq, I enjoyed their success without guilt. Their post Shaq renaissance with Pau was such a treat. I was always on team Kobe in the Shaq/Kobe debate.

Kobe was and always will be my favourite player.

I've been uncharacteristically weepy since hearing the news. I delighted in watching him on the court and relished his media appearances post retirement. What a cruel and tragic world. If only that cocky pilot had gone IFR instead of pushing for VFR in such horrible conditions.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So it's actually cheaper for me to fly to YVR every month and buy a one month supply of insulin there than it is to buy it here without insurance. And that stuff lasts for a while, so I wouldn't need to do it every month.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have a family member who lives in the US and comes to YVR once a month for his heart medication, so I certainly believe what you're saying.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So it's actually cheaper for me to fly to YVR every month and buy a one month supply of insulin there than it is to buy it here without insurance. And that stuff lasts for a while, so I wouldn't need to do it every month.
Insurance where? If you live in the US, you're not eligible for BC's provincial health insurance
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by yulsee
Insurance where? If you live in the US, you're not eligible for BC's provincial health insurance
The cost is so much lower in Canada.
yulsee likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: MR Bonvoy LP , AC/AE, DL, Porter, SU, Nexus, APEC
I just picked up 3 - 15 ML packs of each of my two insulin prescriptions at Costco on Thursday, NovoRapid was $199.2, Lantus $305.83, now that I'm over 65 and on Ontario Drug Benefit plan they were $1.89 each. I have a couple friends in the US who pay much higher than the retail prices mentioned above.

My sister also a diabetic, who winters in the US south takes a six month supply with her when she heads south in November, as long as it is stored correctly it will easily last that long.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Do you not have health insurance through your employer?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by CDN_BOBCAT
I just picked up 3 - 15 ML packs of each of my two insulin prescriptions at Costco on Thursday, NovoRapid was $199.2, Lantus $305.83, now that I'm over 65 and on Ontario Drug Benefit plan they were $1.89 each. I have a couple friends in the US who pay much higher than the retail prices mentioned above.

My sister also a diabetic, who winters in the US south takes a six month supply with her when she heads south in November, as long as it is stored correctly it will easily last that long.
NovoRapid in Ontario, last time I checked, was around $35 CAD per 10mL vial.

NovoLog (same thing, different name) in the US is around $330 USD per same 10mL vial.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The cost is so much lower in Canada.
​​​​​
inhaler for asthma-- nephew pays a $85 copay in US even with insurance discount. has to argue with doctor for a refill or to keep a spare at work.

"pharmacies' in Mexico tourist zones - $8 to $12

then he asked at a Costco there - $1.32 USD each behind the counter, non prescription. 90 day supply of medications purchased outside of US can be brought thru CBP.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Do you not have health insurance through your employer?
Pharmacy screwed up on several levels and processed the refill the day before my new insurance approved it.

However, the call I just had was amusing. "It works this way" "No, let me read you what your website says" and "You should have followed up sooner" "We have chat transcripts from 2 hours through two weeks after where I asked you to do everything you're now telling me I should have asked you to do"

I received a credit for the difference between my copay and what I actually paid. So I'm happy.

But that's the issue. Having insurance doesn't just make everything perfect. It still takes careful management.

Otherwise I'd simply buy it in Canada every time I'm up.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
And Lowry is now the all time Raptors leader in assists passing Calderon
acse17 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
And Lowry is now the all time Raptors leader in assists passing Calderon
Raps win going away from a rebuilding Hawks team that still has some rebuilding to do.

With the win, they pass the Heat for 2nd in East which is excellent given the injury woes they've been through.
acse17 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​
inhaler for asthma-- nephew pays a $85 copay in US even with insurance discount. has to argue with doctor for a refill or to keep a spare at work.
$85 copay? Now I'm really liking the $5 copay we get on all prescriptions with my wife's insurance plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.