FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Using Priority Rewards w/relatives (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2001908-using-priority-rewards-w-relatives.html)

Aker Dec 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Using Priority Rewards w/relatives

hi all,

question for someone that knows more than I regarding AC priority rewards.

I have AC SE and travelling to Europe w/ my relatives all in business class.

3 pax live in Atlanta
1 pax lives in Los Angeles
3 pax live in Vancouver (myself/wife/daughter)

originally I had planned to use AP miles to get everyone to Vancouver and then on a separate priority rewards J ticket fly all of us together. then on the return do the same thing and fly everyone back to Vancouver and then purchase separate tickets for my in laws to get back to Atlanta and Los Angeles.

I understand if I purchase a paid J class ticket from Vancouver to Frankfurt and then Paris to Vancouver (via Toronto) this would give me more flexibility.
if I did this would I be able to get everyone to Europe and back to their original destination using the standard 110K Aeroplan points. Essentially saving the AP points it would cost for separate tickets to route them to and home from Vancouver?

hope what I am asking is clear.

many thanks in advance.

canadiancow Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Yes, if you are paid J, you can book them all on separate reservations without being on it with them.

However, you should make sure you can find 6 seats with points on the flights first. Or 7 to be safe, since you buying a ticket can decrease inventory.

The only need to be on ONE over-water flight with you, so if you can split the parties, fly with half of them there and the other half back, and then you only need to find 3 seats on each flight.

Aker Dec 31, 2019 12:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31891560)
Yes, if you are paid J, you can book them all on separate reservations without being on it with them.

However, you should make sure you can find 6 seats with points on the flights first. Or 7 to be safe, since you buying a ticket can decrease inventory.

The only need to be on ONE over-water flight with you, so if you can split the parties, fly with half of them there and the other half back, and then you only need to find 3 seats on each flight.

thanks there was availability on all flights checked that first.

question is, since half of the party is in ATLANTA can that party fly:

Atlanta to Vancouver (via toronto) and then the following day, fly from Vancouver to Frankfurt. Would total cost per pax still be 55k Aeroplan miles?

canadiancow Dec 31, 2019 12:41 am

If the routing is ATL-YYZ-YVR-FRA, then as long as it's under MPM, it's fine.

TheCanuckian Dec 31, 2019 4:09 am

Wouldn't this come into play? This is from the Altitude site. You don't specify the relationship with your relatives, but it seems that unless they are children, they won't be eligible to priority rewards unless they travel on the same flights as you.

However, note that for international* itineraries booked in Signature Class, your Privilege may only be extended to immediate family members** when you are not traveling with them on the same flight reward reservation. In order to designate your immediate family members, as well as to book a Priority Reward on their behalf, you must call the Aeroplan Contact Centre. Please note that your list of designated family members may only be provided once during the course of your benefit year.

** Immediate family members are defined as a spouse (legally married, common-law partner or same sex) and up to five dependant children (up to and including the age of 24, part of the family unit and still financially dependent on the Altitude Super Elite 100K member). Air Canada and Aeroplan reserve the right to, at any time, request proof of eligibility of the designated family members. This verification may be performed by providing documents including, but not limited to, marriage licenses and birth certificates. If appropriate verification is not provided to the satisfaction of Air Canada and/or Aeroplan at their sole discretion, we reserve the right to cancel any confirmed Priority Reward reservations.

LesDorgo Dec 31, 2019 5:23 am

I did a booking where i needed to get to Bali for a meeting. I booked my round trip J . I had one friend start at a different airport then me and meet in YYZ and fly down to the meeting. he was going to stay and go see china and a few other places after. I booked him using my points and the priority reward. on the way back I had a different friend that was going to come back with me but spent some time in china and the area already. different booking but all in J.

like what was said before they just have to be on one of the flights with you wile you are in J and you can use the priority rewards.

canadiancow Dec 31, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31892148)
Wouldn't this come into play? This is from the Altitude site. You don't specify the relationship with your relatives, but it seems that unless they are children, they won't be eligible to priority rewards unless they travel on the same flights as you.

OP has made it pretty clear he'll be on the same flight.

Aker Dec 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31893300)
OP has made it pretty clear he'll be on the same flight.

Yes same flight.

so turns out that ATL-YYZ-YVR-FRA is over the MPM limit so no go. So had to book a separate ticket for the ATL-YVR portion.

i was able to book a paid J ticket for myself on the return to enable everyone to end in different destinations... however, on the outbound everyone is booked to go YVR-BCN (via FRA). However, for myself if i booked that same routing it was costing approx $7k roundtrip. If i booked the same day, same return except on the outbound YVR-BCN (via ZRH) it priced out to half. Both depart on the same day.

wonder if concierge would let me confirm YVR-BCN (Via FRA) so i can travel with everyone vs. Fly alone via ZRH.
would that be possible?

Diabeetus Dec 31, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31892148)

For spouse and children you don't need to travel with them for the priority International awards. For all others you need to be with them at least one direction for the international segment.