Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Maximizing hidden city tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Maximizing hidden city tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Maximizing hidden city tickets

So we all know you can use hidden city tickets to get to places like Istanbul for less than the required 37,500 Aeroplan miles. You just buy a 30,000 miles ticket to a European city, opt for Turkish Airlines with a layover in Istanbul, and then simply get out.

But are there limitations to how far you can push this logic?

For example, can I do the same thing by buying a 30,000 miles ticket to Europe that connects through Delhi, the Air India hub? That would get me to Delhi (normally 50,000 miles) for just 30,000.

Or what about buying a ticket to Europe with EVA Air, or Air China, or Singapore Airlines going through their hub cities (Taipei, Beijing, Singapore). That would get us to those cities (normally 40,000+ miles) for just 30,000.

These routings don't show up in the Aeroplan search results, but are they even possible? Could I stitch together something like YYZ-DEL-FCO or YVR-PEK-ATH and then call the Aeroplan contact center to make it happen? Or is there some rule that would prevent these trips from working at all? Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
How far can you push it? it depends on how deep your pockets are for legal fees.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2...icketing?__c=1

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/ski...-legal-battle/

https://www.travelweekly.com/Mark-Pe...en-city-flying
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by flyyguyy
Or is there some rule that would prevent these trips from working at all? Thanks.
Search the forum for MPM.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
this thread will put a damper on your hidden city / skiplagged idea:

Aeroplan call centre can no longer book specific segments?

MPM isn't the only enemy anymore, it is many/most agents unable or unwilling to piece together trips or book things not shown on aeroplan.com
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
None of these look particularly convincing BTW. LH lost but apparently is appealing. None of them refers to AC either.

This said, I suspect since the OP is talking about rewards, in which case it's more or less a non-issue. Furthermore, talking rewards, there probably would be very few itineraries where this applies. Aren't rewards miles requirements normally based upon the point where the miles required are highest?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
None of these look particularly convincing BTW. LH lost but apparently is appealing. None of them refers to AC either.

This said, I suspect since the OP is talking about rewards, in which case it's more or less a non-issue. Furthermore, talking rewards, there probably would be very few itineraries where this applies. Aren't rewards miles requirements normally based upon the point where the miles required are highest?

The point was more that airlines will go after people who abuse it (if they win or not still seems to be up for debate). AC has proven in the past it will go after people who seem to abuse the system (something about some kind of intoxicated package).
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
The point was more that airlines will go after people who abuse it (if they win or not still seems to be up for debate). AC has proven in the past it will go after people who seem to abuse the system (something about some kind of intoxicated package).
So it’s okay for the airlines to work the system to their advantage, but not the customers?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
So it’s okay for the airlines to work the system to their advantage, but not the customers?

I don't believe I said it was right or wrong.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger

The highest cost STOP. If it's just a connection, it doesn't count.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
It sounds like a good way to clear out your usable miles down to 0.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I don't believe I said it was right or wrong.
I wasn't suggesting you did. Merely pointing out the collective mentality of the airline industry.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Search the forum for MPM.
Thanks, I had been thinking about MPM, but wasn't 100% sure how it would apply here.

Still, there are some itineraries that seem interesting that I don't really see anyone talking about. For example, the MPM on YVR-ATH is 10,097 miles. Gcmap.com gives the distance on YVR-DEL-ATH at 10,037 miles (here). So does that mean the itinerary would be valid, and I could call in to stitch it together?

Originally Posted by expert7700
this thread will put a damper on your hidden city / skiplagged idea:

Aeroplan call centre can no longer book specific segments?

MPM isn't the only enemy anymore, it is many/most agents unable or unwilling to piece together trips or book things not shown on aeroplan.com
Thanks for pointing this out. Thoughts on whether it's a real change or just a function of the Aeroplan/AC technology debacle?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for pointing this out. Thoughts on whether it's a real change or just a function of the Aeroplan/AC technology debacle?
A question best posed in the linked thread.
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AC 75K
Thanks, I had been thinking about MPM, but wasn't 100% sure how it would apply here.

Still, there are some itineraries that seem interesting that I don't really see anyone talking about. For example, the MPM on YVR-ATH is 10,097 miles. Gcmap.com gives the distance on YVR-DEL-ATH at 10,037 miles (here). So does that mean the itinerary would be valid, and I could call in to stitch it together?
If you could find a routing that was exactly YVR-DEL-ATH, it would be valid. I don't believe there is a *A carrier servicing DEL-ATH, so you'd need to connect somewhere. Just by adding a connection in IST makes it exceed MPM.

And as already mentioned, calling it in to feel the segments to the agent is not as easy as it once was.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If you could find a routing that was exactly YVR-DEL-ATH, it would be valid. I don't believe there is a *A carrier servicing DEL-ATH, so you'd need to connect somewhere. Just by adding a connection in IST makes it exceed MPM.

And as already mentioned, calling it in to feel the segments to the agent is not as easy as it once was.
You're right. I thought I had a *A flight from DEL-ATH, but I was wrong.

With that said, removing ATH entirely and going YVR-DEL-IST comes in at 9,776 miles, just below the 9,920 MPM for YVR-IST, so that should work. The tough part will be finding award space on AC44 from YVR-DEL. There's plenty of availability on United, but I haven't found any on Aeroplan so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.