Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan call centre can no longer book specific segments?

Old Dec 20, 19, 6:34 pm
yrp
Original Poster

I recently called the Aeroplan call centre to book a (one way) TATL flight from Toronto as I wanted a specific Lufthansa flight out of Chicago.

The segments were all available, but the agent said they are no longer able to select segment by segment. They could only choose the full routing offered by the system for the origin/dest ó so presumably the same limited offerings on the web site. And it wasnít mpm (I think) since I could select it on the website as a multi city round trip.

It might normally have been a huca moment but, well, wait times being as they are I didnít try. And she did seem like one of the agents that knows (or knew before) what they are doing.

In the end I was able to get the flights by booking on the website from Chicago (while on the phone with her). She was then able to add the YYZ-ORD leg as a change. I did have to pay the $100 change fee but got the flights.

Has anyone else run into this? It will kind of suck if thereís no way to choose anything but what the website offers.
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Others have reported the same, post Amadeus.

Unclear if it's intentional, accidental, or will be fixed.
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Was just about to post the same question! Was told by an agent that if it's not bookable on the website, than it's not bookable by an agent anymore ie. no manually building segments!
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, widely reported in the minirtw thread.

This has nothing to do with Amadeus - 16 segment RTWs can easily be pieced together by any travel agent, and ticketed in Amadeus.
This has everything to do with Air Canada limiting this functionality for their agent (Aeroplan)
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
Was just about to post the same question! Was told by an agent that if it's not bookable on the website, than it's not bookable by an agent anymore ie. no manually building segments!
This is baffling. Aeroplan has the worst award search results except perhaps for Lifemiles. This is a serious program devaluation.
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
This used to be the case (almost everytime) after the amadeus roll out. However, the agents are having a decent grip with the system and many of us are able to have segment by segment routing booked through AE in the last 2 weeks.

Having said that it entirely depends on the agent and the state of their systems at the time of the day (not joking lol). HUCA is your best friend. If the need is to change an already ticketed complex itinerary (10+ segments) - the odds of finding an agent ready to take up the endeavour is limited. It seems like stitching segments is easy for an entirely new itinerary than modifying an old one. Most of the time they will provide option to cancel and rebook a fresh one as it makes them to do the stitching more effectively (not a good option if you had parked 2 stop over place holders before the rule change)

Also for some strange reasons MPM restrictions are not really enforced (atleast last week) - 2 itineraries that violate mpm rule got ticketed for my friends.
Example - YUL-LAX-NRT HND-LHR LHR -ZRH-YUL. Tokyo as destination with a stop over in LHR violates mpm rules but this was ticketed circa 10 days back
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Dec 20, 19 at 8:51 pm
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Plat/Lifetime Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat
So if we have a ton of miles we can just book each segment on a seperate booking and have it all merged into one booking?
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
So if we have a ton of miles we can just book each segment on a seperate booking and have it all merged into one booking?
I never did what you are proposing above - so I cannot firmly say its not possible. But my gut feeling is it wont serve the purpose. Very least, wont it result in a change fee for 1 booking and cancelation fee for rest of bookings ? (I don't know about SE fee exceptions tbh)

Usually, you call up AE and ask the agent to do the booking and you tell them the segments. If an agent is not allowing - HUCA. Within last 2 weeks, theres been a handful of positive DP's that supports segment booking post amadeus rollover.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
Usually, you call up AE and ask the agent to do the booking and you tell them the segments. If an agent is not allowing - HUCA. Within last 2 weeks, theres been a handful of positive DP's that supports segment booking post amadeus rollover.
I haven't had any luck....any tips you can share perhaps?
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold

There has been zero DPs as such on new tickets. You're the first one. HUACA is only an option if you have dozens of hours of spare time to listen to hold music.
Old Dec 22, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Aeroplan Black
This used to be the case (almost everytime) after the amadeus roll out. However, the agents are having a decent grip with the system and many of us are able to have segment by segment routing booked through AE in the last 2 weeks.

Having said that it entirely depends on the agent and the state of their systems at the time of the day (not joking lol). HUCA is your best friend. If the need is to change an already ticketed complex itinerary (10+ segments) - the odds of finding an agent ready to take up the endeavour is limited. It seems like stitching segments is easy for an entirely new itinerary than modifying an old one. Most of the time they will provide option to cancel and rebook a fresh one as it makes them to do the stitching more effectively (not a good option if you had parked 2 stop over place holders before the rule change)

Also for some strange reasons MPM restrictions are not really enforced (atleast last week) - 2 itineraries that violate mpm rule got ticketed for my friends.
Example - YUL-LAX-NRT HND-LHR LHR -ZRH-YUL. Tokyo as destination with a stop over in LHR violates mpm rules but this was ticketed circa 10 days back
Wait what? you/your friend able to do a segment-by-segment booking on during past 2 weeks? this is probably the first DP that sucessfully booked mRTW post-amadeus.
Care to tell us the detail? was it a long-wait, need to talk to supervisor or what not?

From what I read.. it's actually the other way around.. Whoever booked mRTW before amadeus migration; then they'll be able to change their segments.. even though it'll take long time since they need to check with supervisor, ticketing, etc2.. but no such DP of booking a new AP redemption w/ complex segment-by-segment.
Old Dec 22, 19, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
There has been zero DPs as such on new tickets. You're the first one. HUACA is only an option if you have dozens of hours of spare time to listen to hold music.
Well may be here in FT ; but in my circle - there had been a lot of DP's

Many folks who dabble with reward flights doesn't post on FT (I know it for a fact) because for some reason FT'ers esp in forums like AC belittle them. I know many in my circle who never post in FT due to this reason alone. This might be the reason none of the DP's flew to FT.

Yes Segment by Segment or Married segments aren't easy as it used to be. But it is possible depending on agent and state of the system at the time of the day. And yes, it involves a lot of HUCA.

One of my friend (one who booked the earlier itinerary I shared) is a professional who does AE ticketing. A lot of SE100 & AC MM elites are his clients - so I know for a fact that the DP's are true

Quoting another DP from someone else

"Wanted to share a DP about successfully adding segments to Aeroplan bookings.

Example#1: I tried to book YOW-FRA via YUL but could not add the YOW-YUL leg online.

1) searched YUL-FRA and it shows the OS flights via VIE

2) searched YOW-VIE to show the YOW-YUL segments on AC and OS

3) was put on hold and they connected it all.

Example #2 : I was able to get FRA-MUC-BOS-EWR-YOW ticketed

1) Searched FRA-BOS

2) Searched BOS-YOW

3) Put on a lengthy hold and they were able to connect it all.

Agents name was Bosco
Good luck everyone"
Old Dec 22, 19, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by xanderz View Post
Wait what? you/your friend able to do a segment-by-segment booking on during past 2 weeks? this is probably the first DP that sucessfully booked mRTW post-amadeus.
Care to tell us the detail? was it a long-wait, need to talk to supervisor or what not?

From what I read.. it's actually the other way around.. Whoever booked mRTW before amadeus migration; then they'll be able to change their segments.. even though it'll take long time since they need to check with supervisor, ticketing, etc2.. but no such DP of booking a new AP redemption w/ complex segment-by-segment.
It's not first, some of us were able to book MRTW post amadeus. Well not as crazy as it used to be (many of us love doing milk runs with 14+ segments on mrtw) but still possible via HUCA depending on the agent. Sometimes it needs overrides from a supervisor (especially to detach or attach a specific segment) & yes you will go through ticketing.

Ticketing is a new department formed (post AC takeover i guess based on my convo with a ticketing agent) that focuses on computing Taxes & YQ for all complex itineraries thats not auto calculated by the system. They are not part of call centre but a separate team altogether. And thus AFAIK, they are not customer facing. I spoke to a ticketing agent for nearly 1 hour as I had challenged the Tax calculation on one of my MRTW (I received a call back from ticketing team to discuss on the escalation). In short almost always if you have a complex itinerary - you need to go through ticketing (in the background). Regarding DP's - I think i explained my hypothesis in the above comment
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Here's a tip if you are booking only a one-way ticket (there are risks).

When you see the transpacific / transatlantic / Asia-Europe online, just grab it right away.

You can then call (you'll need to pay the change fee) in and add the remaining regional segments. During this process, there is a chance that the regional segments you want would come back as "unable to confirm" (or availability not display at all if the agent has your PNR open on their desktop) to due married segment issues.

For regional flights on the same carrier as the transpacific / transatlantic / Asia-Europe segment, the changes of the married segment thing is higher. As such, try to choose carrier that is different from that of the long haul flight.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AC 35K, Aeroplan Plat, National Exec
Any idea what they would say with respect to a city pair booking request? Lets say depart YYZ return YTZ which is not bookable online, even with their multi segment "tool"...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: