Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan call centre can no longer book specific segments?

Aeroplan call centre can no longer book specific segments?

Old Dec 26, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
I would agree that it is HUCA. I booked my sister 3 days ago with a one way ticket to MNL. First agent I called, "No, we can't do that anymore", "it's the new reservation system, blah blah blah." I just thanked her and hang up.
Called again the next day, talked to a super nice francophone older lady, she's like okay hun, what are the flight numbers and route. "I told her, I would've done it if I can book it myself via website."
She's like, no worries happy to do it for you.. and she waived the 30$ booking fee!!

Now my challenge is getting the J seat in SQ, I've been trying for 3 days. Anyone heard of "de-syncing" or "not updated inventory". It's always showing up when you search for it. But, when you call Aeroplan they would say it's not available anymore?

Last edited by whatchamackallit03; Dec 26, 19 at 9:36 am Reason: Photos uploaded
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by whatchamackallit03 View Post
I...

Now my challenge is getting the J seat in SQ, I've been trying for 3 days. Anyone heard of "de-syncing" or "not updated inventory". It's always showing up when you search for it. But, when you call Aeroplan they would say it's not available anymore?
Looks like combination of Journey Data and Married Segment Control is at work in this case (these are revenue optimization tools used by various airlines).

I bet that if you called Aeroplan and booked the SIN-MNL segment as a new award, the SQ flight in J will show up and can even be confirmed and ticketed.

However, once you ask the agent to pull up the existing booking and do the availability query again, the same SQ flight will show "zero" in award J.

Also, it is likely that the SQ KUL-SIN segment is "married" to the SIN-MNL segment. In order to change the SIN-MNL segment, the KUL-SIN segment will also need to be cancelled [where there is a risk the space is lost] and rebooked, otherwise a message like "AIRLINE DENIES CANCELLATION" might be returned.

To explain this simply (decisions all made at a fraction of a second):

When doing an availability search solely for SIN-MNL, SQ's revenue optimization tool will say "looks like this guy is redeeming a one-way award for a lot of points, OK, I'll make this seat available".

When doing an availability search for an existing itinerary (which you already have lots of segments), SQ's revenue optimization tool will say "looks like this guy is trying to optimize his award, he already has a lot of segments with other carriers and as such, the incremental revenue we will receive from AC will be very little, as such, we not give him any availability, however, as a consolation prize, we will give him 1 Economy seat".
Bonaventure likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 2:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yes, widely reported in the minirtw thread.

This has nothing to do with Amadeus - 16 segment RTWs can easily be pieced together by any travel agent, and ticketed in Amadeus.
This has everything to do with Air Canada limiting this functionality for their agent (Aeroplan)

Coming soon: Aeroplan will decide your origin, destination and dates of travel for you.
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I would agree that it is HUCA. I booked my sister 3 days ago with a one way ticket to MNL. First agent I called, "No, we can't do that anymore", "it's the new reservation system, blah blah blah." I just thanked her and hang up.
Called again the next day, talked to a super nice francophone older lady, she's like okay hun, what are the flight numbers and route. "I told her, I would've done it if I can book it myself via website."
She's like, no worries happy to do it for you.. and she waived the 30$ booking fee!!

There have been some DPs on reddit subs of people booking the J flight and then calling in to merge their tickets. Worst case, if it doesn't work, you can cancel within 24 hrs for no fee? Its a hassle but well worth it for SQ J.
Old Dec 27, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
No Segment by Segment Booking

So after being on hold for 1 hour and 15 minutes, I was able to talk to an Aeroplan agent. They asked me 5 security questions. I told them I'd like to book segment by segment so they transferred me to another agent. Again, they asked be 5 security questions.

The itinerary I wanted was YVR-TPE-BKK-HKG-IST-BSL-FRA-MAD-YYZ-YVR.

Checked the seats this morning online and all were available.

By the time I was able to speak to an agent, the seat on the first segment was already gone. No big deal, I will connect via SFO to TPE and BKK.

She proceeded to ask for my next destination. That's when I told the agent again that I wanted to book segment by segment and she said, "No. Sorry, our computer system doesn't allow us to do that anymore."

And that was it. I said, "Thanks anyway. Bye."

=(

What's the point of the Contact Centre now? We can do the same booking on their website.

Last edited by loun80; Dec 27, 19 at 10:54 am Reason: added
Old Dec 27, 19, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by loun80 View Post
So after being on hold for 1 hour and 15 minutes, I was able to talk to an Aeroplan agent. They asked me 5 security questions. I told them I'd like to book segment by segment so they transferred me to another agent. Again, they asked be 5 security questions.

The itinerary I wanted was YVR-TPE-BKK-HKG-IST-BSL-FRA-MAD-YYZ-YVR.

Checked the seats this morning online and all were available.

By the time I was able to speak to an agent, the seat on the first segment was already gone. No big deal, I will connect via SFO to TPE and BKK.

She proceeded to ask for my next destination. That's when I told the agent again that I wanted to book segment by segment and she said, "No. Sorry, our computer system doesn't allow us to do that anymore."

=(

What's the point of the Contact Centre now? We can do the same booking on their website.
HUCA my friend. I acknowledge its a PITA when half of the agents say "no" but on the other side theres atleast a few who says "yes lets do it, i am not sure if i can get it to work fully but lets do it" & trust me those are gems and most of the time they get it to work
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
HUCA my friend. I acknowledge its a PITA when half of the agents say "no" but on the other side theres atleast a few who says "yes lets do it, i am not sure if i can get it to work fully but lets do it" & trust me those are gems and most of the time they get it to work
What is HUCA and what is PITA?
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Hang Up Call Again

Pain In The ...
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
Looks like combination of Journey Data and Married Segment Control is at work in this case (these are revenue optimization tools used by various airlines).

I bet that if you called Aeroplan and booked the SIN-MNL segment as a new award, the SQ flight in J will show up and can even be confirmed and ticketed.

However, once you ask the agent to pull up the existing booking and do the availability query again, the same SQ flight will show "zero" in award J.

Also, it is likely that the SQ KUL-SIN segment is "married" to the SIN-MNL segment. In order to change the SIN-MNL segment, the KUL-SIN segment will also need to be cancelled [where there is a risk the space is lost] and rebooked, otherwise a message like "AIRLINE DENIES CANCELLATION" might be returned.

To explain this simply (decisions all made at a fraction of a second):

When doing an availability search solely for SIN-MNL, SQ's revenue optimization tool will say "looks like this guy is redeeming a one-way award for a lot of points, OK, I'll make this seat available".

When doing an availability search for an existing itinerary (which you already have lots of segments), SQ's revenue optimization tool will say "looks like this guy is trying to optimize his award, he already has a lot of segments with other carriers and as such, the incremental revenue we will receive from AC will be very little, as such, we not give him any availability, however, as a consolation prize, we will give him 1 Economy seat".

Ahhh.. Thanks, man! yea, that'll explain it. Even the agent was frazzled about the thing because it's showing as available (SIN - MNL) and can be ticketed but when we try to launch it through the existing booking reference, it's not available.
Is there ways to circumvent this? Any recommendations?

Thanks y'all! : )
Old Dec 27, 19, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by chimpe View Post
There have been some DPs on reddit subs of people booking the J flight and then calling in to merge their tickets. Worst case, if it doesn't work, you can cancel within 24 hrs for no fee? Its a hassle but well worth it for SQ J.
Thanks, man! That's another option.. but but finding that rare gem AE agent again that will do the leg by leg routing is like finding a needle in the haystack. So I'll try to do this as last resort.
chimpe likes this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by loun80 View Post

=(

With a booking as complex as yours, it is likely that the married segment / journey data issue would come up somewhere in the middle of the itinerary anyway.

Here is a potential strategy that might work for more straight forward [not those "greedy" awards as I call them] itineraries (dates and times are examples only and do not reflect actual award availability):

Me: Hi, I would like to fly from LAX to BKK (connecting in TPE) on BR in Business Class on 12FEB departing at 12AM, returning on 20FEB on OZ (connecting at ICN) at 2PM. I only want to fly business class.

Agent: Ok [Goes ahead and books flights which come back as confirmed and proceeds to quote miles/taxes for a round-trip itinerary]

Me: Before giving you my credit card#, can you also check to see if you can add the following domestic segments to this itinerary? BKK to HKT (Phuket) on TG in Business Class on 14FEB at 7AM and HKT to BKK also on TG in Business Class on 19FEB at 8PM?

Agent: Let me check, ... confirmed [and tries to proceed to calculate taxes]

Me: [Interrupting agent] Since I live in YVR, can you also see if you can add the following segments? YVR to LAX on AC 11FEB at 2PM and LAX to YVR on AC on 21FEB at 7AM? I understand that there might not be any availability or they might come back as "unconfirmed".

Agent: Let me check....OK, I was able to confirm YVR to LAX on AC at 11FEB at 2PM. However, the computer isn't showing any availability for 21FEB [[b]Note: probably due to Journey Data - which the agent doesn't anything about]

Me: I'll just buy a separate ticket LAX-YVR since I might stop in LA for a few days anyways. Let's ticket this thing!!

Agent: OK....[Proceeds to calculate taxes and issues ticket]

Desired Itinerary: YVR-LAX-TPE-BKK-HKT-BKK-TPE-LAX-YVR

Itinerary Received: YVR-LAX-TPE-BKK-HKT-BKK-TPE-LAX

Last edited by daniellam; Dec 28, 19 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Aeroplan Diamond, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Silver

How much points does this cost you?

anybody has guideline on points redemption on multiple segments trips like this above example?
Old Dec 28, 19, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88 View Post
How much points does this cost you?

anybody has guideline on points redemption on multiple segments trips like this above example?
Initially it was 62,500. Then with multiple segments, it went to 75,000.
Old Dec 28, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Multiple segments is irrelevant. It's your origin/destination and class of service that determines cost.

Canada to Asia 2 is 77,500 in Business or 65,000 in PE, Asia 1 is 75K in Business or 62.5K in PE (each way).
YYC009 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Aeroplan Diamond, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Silver
How's that possible? Is booking multiple segments cheaper than regular RT flights?

Search this Thread