Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

where does it say B/Y/O class can be upgraded based on R/P/Z availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
If you have trouble with an agent, ask them to look at ACpedia 052623
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Ok, so the more experienced FTers will know that:

- booking classes B/Y/O can be upgraded based on R or P availability on int'l routes and
- booking classes B/Y/O can be upgraded based on R, P or Z availability on NA routes

I could've sworn this information used to be published in the e-upgrade section of the AC website, i.e. here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...s/request.html

But I can no longer seem to find it. Is that information still published anywhere on the AC website? Or does anyone know the ACpedia # explaining this?

As much I enjoy teaching, I wasted an hour today educating and arguing with AC agents (two differnet bookings with long hold times for the agents to contact their resource desk), and life is just too short..
codgerdave likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Your second point isn't technically correct. I've seen NA flights that were Z0 P>0 R0, and they could not be upgraded.

Other than that, I think it was pulled down during the Amadeus switch.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
It has been taken down from the web page post Amadeus.

it is still the policy but I only have a 50% hit rate or thereabouts with agents actually knowing this. The resource desk has helped every time however, and I have done it often enough post switch I know the policy hasn’t changed.
codgerdave likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
It has been taken down from the web page post Amadeus.

it is still the policy but I only have a 50% hit rate or thereabouts with agents actually knowing this. The resource desk has helped every time however, and I have done it often enough post switch I know the policy hasn’t changed.
Yep, when the agent is in doubt, ask them to punt the request to NRD.
Or HUCA until you find an agent who knows the rule.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your second point isn't technically correct. I've seen NA flights that were Z0 P>0 R0, and they could not be upgraded.

Other than that, I think it was pulled down during the Amadeus switch.
Interesting.

I can see why R space may be greater than P/Z space (especially closer to departure). But I can't think of an explanation why availability would show P>Z. Any idea from a RM perspective?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting.

I can see why R space may be greater than P/Z space (especially closer to departure). But I can't think of an explanation why availability would show P>Z. Any idea from a RM perspective?
My only speculation is to limit Latitude eUps.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC MM+
I often see R availability and no P. Anyone in economy can upgrade, even 25k while I can't from an O fare, from PE to J. yes, that sucks.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mamau
I often see R availability and no P. Anyone in economy can upgrade, even 25k while I can't from an O fare, from PE to J. yes, that sucks.
O fares (or Y/B) can be upgraded using R space or P space (or Z, as applicable). P/Z is not required to upgrade O/Y/B.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mamau
To be clear, YBO depends on Z/P (NA/intl) or R... not strictly Z/P.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Ok, so the more experienced FTers will know that:

- booking classes B/Y/O can be upgraded based on R or P availability on int'l routes and
- booking classes B/Y/O can be upgraded based on R, P or Z availability on NA routes

I could've sworn this information used to be published in the e-upgrade section of the AC website, i.e. here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...s/request.html

But I can no longer seem to find it. Is that information still published anywhere on the AC website? Or does anyone know the ACpedia # explaining this?
It's preserved here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190605...s/request.html

For eligible customers travelling on International flights with a Latitude (booking classes Y and B) or Premium Economy Flexible (booking class O) fare, upgrades are based on the availability of “P” booking class at time of request. For eligible customers travelling on North American and Caribbean flights with a Latitude (booking class Y, B) or Premium Economy Flexible fare (booking class O) fare, upgrades are based on the availability of “Z” booking class at time of request.

For eligible customers travelling on flights to North American, Caribbean, and International destinations holding a ticketed reservation in any other eligible fare (e.g. Flex, Premium Economy Lowest), upgrades are based on the availability of “R” booking class at time of request.

Once an upgrade is confirmed, the flight segment will be confirmed in “R” booking class regardless of what booking class was used to determine availability. All other fare rules (mileage accumulation, fees, etc.) will be based on the original purchased fare
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC E75K

As much I enjoy teaching, I wasted an hour today educating and arguing with AC agents (two differnet bookings with long hold times for the agents to contact their resource desk), and life is just too short..
I'd also love to know the ACpedia # explaining this, if anyone knows it. Latitude flight pass upgrade when Z>0 not currently working using the eupgrade tool. The majority of agents don't seem to know this perk of the latitude fare; they try to insist you need R (as well documented in this and other threads). And now that the text TechnoTourist linked to in the internet archive has disappeared from the AC website, there is nothing to point them to other than "it's always worked this way in the past", which, for some reason, doesn't do much to change the mind of an agent convinced otherwise. Today I spent a half hour on hold and then the best part of an hour on hold while an agent checked with various colleagues. Finally she came back to say that yes, indeed, she can upgrade me, and she was surprised to learn this. I don't hold it against the agents but rather against AC's training.

Last edited by codgerdave; Jan 2, 2020 at 3:26 pm Reason: correction
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
ACpedia 062523 or 052623. Cross referencing of fares when booked in a lower cabin or something to that effect. Huca seems to be the best bet even when you have the right acpedia reference because there's no guarantee that the agent you get on the phone will make the effort to look up the relevant page.
Also they might have worked at the airport in the past so they can't be wrong.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indiavictorcharlie
ACpedia 062523 or 052623. Cross referencing of fares when booked in a lower cabin or something to that effect. Huca seems to be the best bet even when you have the right acpedia reference because there's no guarantee that the agent you get on the phone will make the effort to look up the relevant page.
Also they might have worked at the airport in the past so they can't be wrong.
Sweet. Thank you! ^

Will now screencapture this.
Indiavictorcharlie likes this.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 2, 2020 at 6:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sweet. Thank you! ^

Will know screencapture this.
I just wish I had made note of the proper reference when I had the chance. I was driving and just so happy to finally get an agent who could confirm my eup when it was P1R0 that I don't remember if it was 062 or 052

Not sure if Amadeus changed any ACpedia references but this is all I have
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: AC E75K
Thank you! Next time it happens to me I'll try quoting both to the agent and if they do look it up and confirm which it is I'll update this thread.
Indiavictorcharlie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.