Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

So are we going to get more AC cafe’s ? Please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

I get there are mixed opinions on the topic, but speaking very honestly with my own personal travel preferences, I love the AC Cafe. I have not stepped foot in the lounge in YYZ since the AC Cafe went up at gate 20. If it’s a 10 minute stop or a 8 hour layover, you can find me in the cafe.

I really don’t care about the booze, in fact I’ll take a nitro cold brew with some cream and sugar over any drinks they have in the MLL every single day of the week. The layout, the style, the drinks and snack available in the cafe etc, I simply prefer all of them. The environment and the offerings are far more suited to my style.

I would like to see more AC Cafe’s! YVR! Common! I’ll go there instead of the lounge every time.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
YYZ TB Cafe would be nice too, though given the relatively recent express MLL I don't see this one happening anytime soon.

YUL needs a refresh of the dom lounge before they add a cafe.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I get there are mixed opinions on the topic, but speaking very honestly with my own personal travel preferences, I love the AC Cafe. I have not stepped foot in the lounge in YYZ since the AC Cafe went up at gate 20. If it’s a 10 minute stop or a 8 hour layover, you can find me in the cafe.

I really don’t care about the booze, in fact I’ll take a nitro cold brew with some cream and sugar over any drinks they have in the MLL every single day of the week. The layout, the style, the drinks and snack available in the cafe etc, I simply prefer all of them. The environment and the offerings are far more suited to my style.

I would like to see more AC Cafe’s! YVR! Common! I’ll go there instead of the lounge every time.
Same here - Overall, I much prefer the setup for the cafe... Would love to see one in the AC express area at YUL... I believe there actually used to be a restaurant called Air Canada cafe in this area, or something like that... before the change over to SixPints...
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Very much enjoy it as well. The storefront on the same level as departures makes it so easy to access I think is what I like the most.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever

I somewhat agree, but only for the grab and go concept. At the core it's just a glorified high end convenience store with exclusivity matched by marketing. That it is preferred for longer stays only speaks, in my view, to the desperate need for a real lounge update.
YVRtoYYZ, wrp96, aburrsir and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Or... they could just improve the snack & coffee offerings in the actual MLLs. YVR TB and domestic are both very sad places that I rarely bother entering unless I want booze.
ecc, Thysk and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I STILL have not arrived or departed YYZ on a domestic flight, so I haven't been in, but from what I've read, all they'd need to win me over is alcohol.

Or as others said, they could just improve the MLL. Possibly coupled with restricting access, if that's necessary.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I STILL have not arrived or departed YYZ on a domestic flight, so I haven't been in, but from what I've read, all they'd need to win me over is alcohol.

Or as others said, they could just improve the MLL. Possibly coupled with restricting access, if that's necessary.
Likewise. I need to take a flight somewhere with the older version of codfather to go in there! That is unless I run into a kind FTer who could guest me in

If I had to guess, I would say YVR Cafe will likely happen after they complete the new Signature Suite there. I don't see YUL getting anything anytime soon, it will be YVR if it happens.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The Domestic and Transborder Maple Leaf Lounges have such a pathetic offering that really, anything at this point would be better.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
The Domestic and Transborder Maple Leaf Lounges have such a pathetic offering that really, anything at this point would be better.
...except the seating on offer at the gate.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keitherson
I don't even like classifying dom and TB together. They have VERY different standards between the two.

Dom often satisfies my needs. TB rarely does.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by mathemagic
I somewhat agree, but only for the grab and go concept. At the core it's just a glorified high end convenience store with exclusivity matched by marketing. That it is preferred for longer stays only speaks, in my view, to the desperate need for a real lounge update.
This exactly.

I like to think that I'm one the target markets for the Cafe. I do a lot of US / Intl - YYZ - YOW, and my connection time is frequently short or I make it short by getting on the first available flight to YOW, so I've usually got an hour or less in the YYZ D gates. They built exactly what I need: a place easily accessible on the ground floor that has got good food and snacks and I can take it to go if needed. Unless time is so short that I'm sprinting to my gate for YOW I can get a quick bite and do some email. I love the Cafe, as I've said before the best thing AC has done for the frequent flier crowd in YYZ in forever. The should open one in YUL too for sure.

But to be real the Cafe is not much more than a Pret a Manger with more seating and WiFi. The Cafe looks better than it really is because of the the YYZ domestic MLL; crowded, run down and terrible food, and the location far less than ideal. The YUL MLL is even worse. The Cafe fills a niche, and they should indeed build more, but it doesn't absolve AC from fixing the embarrassing domestic lounge situation. If you've got a multi-hour layover do you want to spend it in a Pret a Manger or do you want a shower, a comfortable chair and a drink?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't even like classifying dom and TB together. They have VERY different standards between the two.

Dom often satisfies my needs. TB rarely does.
In YYZ?

I can hardly notice a difference. TB tends to be busier and more... Tired? But the services are the same.

Generally, to the subject at hand. I too love the concept. Booze would be nice. But I think it is about exclusivity. What it has is the lack of FOTSGs, high on their $500 annual credit cards. Even if it is stale sandwiches, it's stale sandwiches for people putting bis time in flying.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "feel" of the café is better without the alcohol to me. I hope they keep them "dry"
martyYOW likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by acysb87
The "feel" of the café is better without the alcohol to me. I hope they keep them "dry"
I agree - I also think the lack of alcohol helps to keep the crowd level down. If I want a drink I'll head to the MLL or Mill Street.

As for other locations, would be great to have a Cafe (or an express lounge) in YOW TB area (though not sure where they'd find the room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.