Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude Program Overview 2020

Air Canada Altitude Program Overview 2020

Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
Incremental cost of adding a pax to a flight is not $0. Fuel burn based on pax+carryon+baggage weight, allocation of J/Y snacks or catering.
When looking at passenger profitability (as opposed to marginal profitability) you can't just look at incremental costs.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Incremental cost of adding a pax to a flight is not $0. Fuel burn based on pax+carryon+baggage weight, allocation of J/Y snacks or catering.

As you inferred then it is a game of allocating overhead. Maybe a VERY slight change of more baggage handling labor, call center overtime, possible risk of EU261 cash/duty of care, or deflategate comp.

CASM is used by AC for financial reports

Passengers already have a Revenue per flown seat mile rating, if not very easy to calculate off Altitude dashboard.

The higher the revenue to cost multiplier, the higher the altitude status tier for 2021 could be
But The Lev 's point was that while there exists a CASM, the CASM on a 77W YVR-YYZ is not the same as a 320 YVR-YYZ, or a BEH YHZ-YQM, or a 789 YYZ-HKG.

If they do it naively, people like FTers will game it. But the smarter they get, the more they reward people who deserve it.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell
Good catch. Interesting as today VFTW is reporting that AA is joining UA in offering a revenue only qualification option.
https://viewfromthewing.com/
Some of us hope that AC follows suit - others will rage against such innovation no doubt.
Please and thank you.

Laughable that I have worry about mileage runs when I regularly double the spend required.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by acse17
Please and thank you.

Laughable that I have worry about mileage runs when I regularly double the spend required.
So you don't fly 67k miles (1.5x in J) while spending $40k?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
So you don't fly 67k miles (1.5x in J) while spending $40k?
I don't fly paid J except for a few specific infrequent routes. The other sad miserable part of my existence is that our corp travel agent shows me flex fares, accepts the money for the flex fare, and yet over the last two years I've discovered that I have a significant amount of fares that have been ticketed as standard. This year i'm missing over 30k that would have put me over AQM a while ago. Our category manager went down the rabbit hole of trying to get it fixed and we got crickets from both sides. Oh well... at least next year I'm greenlit to fly all comfort.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
How are there 65 posts on a program that didn't change at all ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

well ok, 75k now gets 12 months wifi option, sorry! 1 change, 65 posts, what ?!?!?!?!?!?!
Stranger, canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:32 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
In today's world of big data and cheap computational power, it actually would not be that hard to do (at least as a rough approximation). they could assign a cost to serve in each class of service for each route and compare to revenue generated. If they wanted to get more granular, add a cost for each lounge use, concierge call, etc.
Big data and cheap computational power, sure. But with the morass that is AC's IT operation, I don't see it being realistically possible. Think about what that would entail.

Here are some challenges on the revenue side, beyond just using AQD:
  • There are some big chunks of revenue that aren't accounted for in AQD - change fees, seat selection fees, checked baggage fees. Maybe other fees that I haven't thought of. Oh, YQ on reward tickets, there's another one. SDC fees. Someone who has $20K of AQD and spends $2K a year on change fees would likely be more profitable than someone who spends $21K of AQD, for instance. And an E35K who shells out for a preferred seat on most trips could be adding pretty meaningfully to their revenue. Could AC track these things? Sure. But the fact that they currently don't include them in AQD suggests there's some challenge in that. So, once again, we're probably trying to integrate different systems and there are likely to be issues.
  • If you fly OAL metal on OAL stock, you get no AQD. AC gets no revenue for those tickets (other than a few bucks for selling some Aeroplan miles to the OAL), but how do you assess the contribution to that person's profitability? Especially if the itinerary includes some flights on AC metal, e.g. a UA ticket that has an AC flight then a UA flight? Because people frequently choose *A partners because of connection to AC. Once again, is it possible to come up with some sort of rough approximation for this? Sure. But AC would have to invest a bunch of time in devising the system, then figure out a way to implement it.
  • AC pays commission to TAs on some tickets. Someone with $10K of AQD on tickets bought from the AC website has generated more net revenue than someone who always buys tickets through TAs (which is still the case for a lot of business travel). If you're assessing profitability, you should probably be looking at this. Again, the information already exists somewhere at AC, but combining it with the other parameters here will undoubtedly be work.
  • Now that AC owns Aeroplan, do you include whatever revenue you generate from people having Aeroplan-linked credit cards?

On the cost side:
  • Someone at AC in finance or revenue management would need to calculate some sort of reasonable estimate of cost per route in each CoS. They're already doing that at some level to help them figure out how to price the tickets, so this isn't the hard part, but the database of costs has to be linked to the FFP database so that it can compare your revenue to your cost - making multiple systems talk to each other is an area where we know AC struggles.
  • What's the value of an eUp? Do you come up with a system-wide cost that an eUp is worth $12.73 or whatever and then just calculate the cost based on the number of eUps you hand out? Or do you do a route-by-route estimate of what it costs to eUp a passenger and then look at what people have actually used their eUps for? The former is easy but likely to be so generic as to be meaningless. The latter is a better estimate of the true cost, but a lot of work to calculate and then tie together with everything else.
  • It's certainly possible to come up a cost estimate for lounge visits based on the average cost, but I question how meaningful that will be, with alcohol being the biggest component. Most of my lounge visits are short, like the cow. If you assign a $25 cost to every lounge visit, I'm going to look very expensive, even though my average visit probably costs less than $1. Meanwhile, some of the rig pigs who show up hours before their YYC/YEG-YYZ redeyes and consume copious amounts of alcohol won't look very expensive because they don't hit the lounge very often, even though when they do, they rack up huge costs. I think the average is the only way to go, but it's going to be quite misleading, and the dollars will be meaningful in many cases.
  • What's the cost of Aeroplan miles? Of IKK? Hugely dependent on how the miles are used. Again, do you use an average, or try to figure out something closer to the true cost?

These are just the issues I've thought about in the past 15 minutes or so; I'm sure there are even more that I haven't gotten to.

Could human effort and computing power potentially solve a number of the issues above? Likely. But the amount of effort and dollars are likely to be so significant as to make it not worth the hassle. Either that or it's going to be such a rough approximation that it's not truly calculating that person's profitability, only categorizing them in to one of a few buckets (e.g. highly profitable, moderately profitable, break-even, moderately unprofitable, very unprofitable). That may still be a worthwhile exercise, but I don't think you can really say you're calculating that person's profitability when you're only assigning them a broad category.

Originally Posted by Stranger
All an exercise of (accounting) creative writing.

But anyway, there remains a need for translating into a simple, clear, published formula. They cannot just allocate status at their own whim.
I didn't suggest that AC should actually use cost in determining status. But if they wanted to, there's nothing requiring them to publish anything anywhere. Look at UA GS and AA ConciergeKey - no published requirements there at all. In theory, there's nothing stopping an airline from ceasing to publish any requirements and just saying that status in the loyalty program will be awarded by the airline will be awarded purely at its discretion.

I'm not saying that's likely, because that would undermine the purpose of the program, but it's important to remember that FFPs are not an enduring right.
YYC3722 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 13, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by The Lev
In today's world of big data and cheap computational power, it actually would not be that hard to do (at least as a rough approximation). they could assign a cost to serve in each class of service for each route and compare to revenue generated. If they wanted to get more granular, add a cost for each lounge use, concierge call, etc.

It's called an ERP. Most businesses have one in some shape or form. Most businesses don't use it correctly.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Ok, a fat guy with heavy free bags might be $10 in go-juice from YYZ to HKG, hugely dwarfed by his share of the weight of the aircraft.

And they both often don't have enough catering, be it "included" J or actual increased spend Y meals. And equally often, throw food out. Throw out the end of wine bottles.

CASM is used by AC for financial reports
And not even broken down in what they report to the street by class. And infrequently by route. Its an average, and mostly fixed overhead.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I didn't suggest that AC should actually use cost in determining status. But if they wanted to, there's nothing requiring them to publish anything anywhere. Look at UA GS and AA ConciergeKey - no published requirements there at all. In theory, there's nothing stopping an airline from ceasing to publish any requirements and just saying that status in the loyalty program will be awarded by the airline will be awarded purely at its discretion.
Sure but then, these programs are by invitation, and it's at the very high end. They still need a "regular" FF program for marketing purposes.

[...] it's important to remember that FFPs are not an enduring right.
What about the MM program though? They did promise something to last forever, didn't they? :-)
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:23 am

On the cost side:
  • Someone at AC in finance or revenue management would need to calculate some sort of reasonable estimate of cost per route in each CoS. They're already doing that at some level to help them figure out how to price the tickets, so this isn't the hard part, but the database of costs has to be linked to the FFP database so that it can compare your revenue to your cost - making multiple systems talk to each other is an area where we know AC struggles.
  • What's the value of an eUp? Do you come up with a system-wide cost that an eUp is worth $12.73 or whatever and then just calculate the cost based on the number of eUps you hand out? Or do you do a route-by-route estimate of what it costs to eUp a passenger and then look at what people have actually used their eUps for? The former is easy but likely to be so generic as to be meaningless. The latter is a better estimate of the true cost, but a lot of work to calculate and then tie together with everything else.
Doesn't the first point there solve the second point? If route XXX-YYY costs $A in Y and $B in J (based on RM having that estimate), and you use Z eUps to go from Y to J, then the eUps were worth (B-A)/Z each.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
What about the MM program though? They did promise something to last forever, didn't they? :-)
They promised status by name.

Which could be as useful as German titles of nobility in 1920.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It's called an ERP. Most businesses have one in some shape or form. Most businesses don't use it correctly.
Most ERPs are grossly inadequate to do any form of activity based costing.

Given that AC's RESIII system is older than most people here it certainly wouldn't have been able to do it. Amadeus - maybe???
acse17 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Doesn't the first point there solve the second point? If route XXX-YYY costs $A in Y and $B in J (based on RM having that estimate), and you use Z eUps to go from Y to J, then the eUps were worth (B-A)/Z each.
That's one way to look at it, I suppose. But what about opportunity cost? RM will try hard not to let people eUp if they can sell J, but certainly there are some eUps that do result in J tickets not being sold. (Same concept applies to Aeroplan in general and IKK in particular). Or LMUs or bid-ups not being sold.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:58 pm

That's one way to look at it, I suppose. But what about opportunity cost? RM will try hard not to let people eUp if they can sell J, but certainly there are some eUps that do result in J tickets not being sold. (Same concept applies to Aeroplan in general and IKK in particular). Or LMUs or bid-ups not being sold.
So you'd want something like assigning an additional cost of X, where X is the difference between full J and the B value, if the flight is J0?

Could work.

But then I've seen other issues where I wanted to buy 2 J at the last minute, the flight was J1, and there had been a dozen cleared upgrades. And there was another time I wanted 6 J, but it was J4. So it's hard to even know when you've lost a sale based on actual loads.

Just hold all upgrades until the gate. That would solve all the problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.