Help! Canít find gate 171 at YYZ

Old Dec 7, 19, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Saw your tweet @acaltitude hahaha it showed up in my feed
lol well jokes aside. I feel bad for people who donít understand how things work ( letís say 90%) and they have to rely on AC staff and system to be correct. And when both staff and systems canít be correct and and that wrong itís got to be beyond frustrating for the common pax.
lallied, 24left and codfather like this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Good thing your flight is late due inbound aircraft. Gives you time to find the hidden gate
Old Dec 7, 19, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
Good thing your flight is late due inbound aircraft. Gives you time to find the hidden gate

lol I saw that. Total bs. Itís been sitting here at the gate for 45 min already.
Old Dec 7, 19, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
Maybe someone at YYZ is a Harry Potter fan and wanted their own hidden gate. Maybe you just have to run really hard at the wall.
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rally66 View Post
171is a gate at T1 in YYZ. Pilots do not use the terminal gate number when AC ground control tells them where to go on arrival. 171 is at the most southerly point of the international hammerhead. Probably gate E71 for pax inside.
But we're talking about the passenger side, so the outer numbers are irrelevant.

And the most southerly point of the hammerhead is not a domestic gate.
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
171 appears to be the catch all gate they (the app/website) assign a few days out to a bunch of flights. I've seen it before for yyz-yyc and yyz-yvr. I've only seen it 2 or 3 days before my flight either backtracking through the app(both old and new) on the track inbound option or on the website under flight status. It invariably switches to a domestic gate roughly 30 hours before departure. Never had it on a boarding pass though so maybe this is an enhancement I haven't had the chance to experience yet.
Old Dec 7, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
Originally Posted by Indiavictorcharlie View Post
171 appears to be the catch all gate they (the app/website) assign a few days out to a bunch of flights. I've seen it before for yyz-yyc and yyz-yvr. I've only seen it 2 or 3 days before my flight either backtracking through the app(both old and new) on the track inbound option or on the website under flight status. It invariably switches to a domestic gate roughly 30 hours before departure. Never had it on a boarding pass though so maybe this is an enhancement I haven't had the chance to experience yet.

Exhibit A.
Old Dec 8, 19, 5:26 am

I recall the airport went and changed the gate numbers a while back

1 - terminal number
71 - gate number

I think most of the domestics are 140 series and lower (smaller planes). Transborders in the 150-160s, internationals 170 and then transborder small planes into 180-190s.....

then like others have said several had switchover gates to accommodate flexible operations (ie. international/domestic)
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Did you find and make it?

Hi Sean Peever Ö did you make it?
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
For further reference, an airportís web site will also typically have a departures and arrivals feed thatís in sync with the big screens and include gate information when a gate has been assigned. This can be useful in places like ATL, where that information can be slow to get pushed to airline apps, leaving North Terminal/South Terminal displayed as the departure gate way too long
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Sean Peever did his usual brilliant job at conveying info with his subtle humour, which we've seen before on other AC IT mis-adventures.

But being at YYZ and looking at the faces of pax who are trying to figure out where they are supposed to be, got me thinking about what it's like for the many who don't know gate numbering - be it temporary on the AC app, inside the terminal or outside.

Also, who assigns the gates for AC and generally, how far in advance?

What if someone had to find an AC gate at YYZ and went searching on a map, they would discover no gates numbered 171.

YYZ has one of the worst airport websites that I've seen in my travels. Poorly designed, not intuitive, sticky, and information not designed for easy access. For that I blame designers and YYZ/GTAA people.

https://maps.torontopearson.com/?vid...mciOmZhbHNlfX0

AC has a section on their website for connections with terminal maps

This is the one from Canada-Canada connections.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html

Old Dec 8, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
[...did his usual brilliant job at conveying info with his subtle humour, which we've seen before on other AC IT mis-adventures.
Agree.- and may also be poking fun at the occasional over-reliance by some on what readily available information IT-wise.

GYAA has an excellent customer information staff throughout T1, as do AC with their tablets at the Gate-head especially when flights are late - the FIDS are generally accurate and when arriving on T1 Intl side, which I do often 2x monthly or more, FIDS available before heading down long corridor to CBSA. And I do pay attention to in-flight calls, and SD always gives reminder before landing for cnx passengers check the FIDS or ground staff for latest gate info.

Would it be better to NOT have inaccurate gates # on the App - of course, are folks competent enough to figure out what to do when it is not - IMHO yes!
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: AC E50K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
One of the 'features' of The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) is the addition of airport maps. Using the app, I checked the YYZ maps and they essentially match 24left's images.

Using the search function for Gate 171 returns 'Sorry, no matches found'. Hey AC, I would suggest that left hand and right hand need to talk.

Last edited by YYC traveler; Dec 8, 19 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 8, 19, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ View Post
Hi Sean Peever Ö did you make it?
ya.... After listening to the Airport agents and Air Canada systems for 2 hours being sent all over the place I finally decided to listen to FT and was at my gate in under 5 min.
Old Dec 8, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Which gate?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: