Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Why is AC using DH4s for flights that only really need a DH1/DH3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Why is AC using DH4s for flights that only really need a DH1/DH3?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Why is AC using DH4s for flights that only really need a DH1/DH3?

I have noticed in recent years that AC is using DH4s predominantly for routes throughout Newfoundland and Labrador where CRJs or DH1/DH3s would have been used. Examples of such routes include YYT-YYR, YYR-YHZ, YDF-YHZ, and YQX-YHZ. Most of these flights are flown with loads of 30-50 passengers (aside from unusual cases), so I don't see why they wouldn't use smaller planes for them.

My understanding is that it is cheaper to operate the DH4 versus say the CRJ, DH1, or DH3 even if the load is more suitable for these planes instead. YYT-YYR-YHZ was always ran using a CRJ for as long as I can remember. YDF-YHZ often had the CRJ at least once a day, with the smaller Dash-8s being used for the other flights.

I miss the CRJs speed on long routes like YHZ-YYR or YYT-YYR especially. Just thought I would open this up to discussion!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AC S100K, HH Silver
I don't know about the CRJ but a pilot in the know that I talked to recently told me that the problem with the DH3s right now is their age and, as a result, their reliability. The end result is that their numbers are gradually being reduced and ultimately will be removed from the fleet.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by douglasr; Dec 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The DH1’s are now annoying us in the west with their molasses speeds!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by douglasr
I don't know about the CRJ but a pilot in the know that I talked to recently told me that the problem with the DH3s right now is their age and, as a result, their reliability. The end result is that their numbers are gradually being reduced and ultimately will be removed from the fleet.
Reliability for both the DH1/DH3 is atrocious. Flights on them seem to get cancelled left, right, and centre! That is certainly not something I miss! But I also know that the DH1/DH3 are able to land in stronger winds than the DH4 (heard this from a pilot who used to work with PAL). This is a particularly useful trait here in NL!

I know the CRJ gets a bad rap due to the confines of its cabin, but it certainly is a fast and quiet plane! YHZ-YYR only took like 1 hr 20 mins with the CRJ versus almost 2 hrs in the DH4!
ecc likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The CRJs are also very thirsty.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The CRJs are also very thirsty.
Oh 100%

But if they are continuing to use them for transborder ops, what difference does it make?

Flights in and around NL are very expensive compared to transborder, so I would think that profits would be a lot greater than losses on fuel. Probably more economical for them to use the DH4 for some transborder ops and return the CRJs to these routes.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: TK *G
This happens a lot, where airlines operate certain routes/flights with the less optimal aircraft types. Think about all the widebodies on YYZ-YOW/YUL.

In this case it’s probably due to the availability of DH1, DH3, and CRJs.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
This happens a lot, where airlines operate certain routes/flights with the less optimal aircraft types. Think about all the widebodies on YYZ-YOW/YUL.

In this case it’s probably due to the availability of DH1, DH3, and CRJs.
I think the demand exists to use widebodies on those routes over smaller aircraft. In the summer, this is especially true!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 35k
DH1s are end of life. DH3s are extended but dying fast. The issue is a lack of an efficient aircraft for 50 seaters (they could buy ATR-42s I suppose). The DH4 is a very efficient aircraft and was designed to operate with a low load factor.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by codfather
I think the demand exists to use widebodies on those routes over smaller aircraft. In the summer, this is especially true!
These flights are operated with widebodies chiefly for repositioning to/from YYZ as part of an overseas flight.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
DH1s are end of life. DH3s are extended but dying fast. The issue is a lack of an efficient aircraft for 50 seaters (they could buy ATR-42s I suppose). The DH4 is a very efficient aircraft and was designed to operate with a low load factor.
What is the sweet spot for DH4 efficiency? I think I read here that on flights > 2 hours the DH4 starts becoming less efficient than RJs and bigger jets.

Isn't the DH3s fleet slated for a full cabin refurbishment and life extension program in partnership with Bombardier?
codfather likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by marke190
What is the sweet spot for DH4 efficiency? I think I read here that on flights > 2 hours the DH4 starts becoming less efficient than RJs and bigger jets.

Isn't the DH3s fleet slated for a full cabin refurbishment and life extension program in partnership with Bombardier?
After about 500 miles, the DH4 becomes slower. But the DH4 can operate with low load factor and still be profitable. The DH3 refurb is done, and BBD no longer owns the type certificates or maintenance for Dash-8s, that's now over to Viking.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marke190
These flights are operated with widebodies chiefly for repositioning to/from YYZ as part of an overseas flight.
Sorry! I am stunned, I wasn't thinking when I posted that. I meant larger jets (narrowbodies) like E90s, A320 family, etc...NOT widebodies like the 777, A333...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

I have noticed the DH3 being scheduled for YQG-YUL for the winter. This was touted as all jet service when introduced.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The DH1’s are now annoying us in the west with their molasses speeds!
YSB has inherited the Dash-300. Plenty of mechanical issues and sub in the 37 seat Dash 100 when 50 seaters go mechanical (based on Dash-300 a/c) causes plenty of headache for staff here.
The 300 allows for sky-check ,but certain Fins have row 13 facing row 1D-F with inherent lack of overhead bin space for 6 passengers and their carry on items.

The Q 400 has all roll-on bags come onto aircraft, IOW no sky-check. Some aircraft have undersized over head bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.