Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellation / use tickets out of sequence

Old Dec 2, 19, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT UA GLD

Hello,
If AC cancels your outbound flight due to weather, can you still use the return "out of sequence", and then refund the outbound after travel?
ITinerary is a P class PHL-YYZ-GRU-YYZ-PHL
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by infoguy View Post
Hello,
If AC cancels your outbound flight due to weather, can you still use the return "out of sequence", and then refund the outbound after travel?
ITinerary is a P class PHL-YYZ-GRU-YYZ-PHL
How are you getting to GRU? Why didn't AC re-route you?
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why wait until after travel. You may have an argument supporting being able to obtain a refund of the cancelled segment, but if you wait, AC will surely reprice the ticket for what you did fly and that may approach the cost of the existing ticket.

If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to cancel and ask AC to preserve onwards segments. You are not then flying "out of sequence".

How do you propose to get to your destination so that you can fly home?
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

No space on anyone else. I grabbed a mileage ticket on another carrier before i got through to AC>
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

A refund of the outbound segments would be fine as long as I don't have to re-purchase the return at the current fare.
This was a $5000 r/t in p class. If they don't honor the return flight, I'll have to purchase a $5000 one way.
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:30 pm

While it may be hard to reach AC, you are better off getting this done in person at PHL or, if you are still in the DC area, at DCA. See if AC can put you on that flight and then cancel the mileage ticket.

At some point, AC will cancel your ticket as a no show and getting it reinstated will be a time-consuming mess (as you can see, getting through is time-consuming). At that point, unless the price of the return is 1/2 the price of the RT, you may still wind up with a whopping add/collect.

This may sort itself out eventually, but not without a lot of time-consuming work which may require you, in the first instance, to lay out a lot of cash. All avoidable if you deal with AC now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Eventually i did get through to AC. They Reply would not protecte on UA ZFV-EWR-GRU because the ZFV-EWR was operated by Amtrak, but did protect on DL.
monkai likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by infoguy View Post
Eventually i did get through to AC. They Reply would not protecte on UA ZFV-EWR-GRU because the ZFV-EWR was operated by Amtrak, but did protect on DL.
You have a good resolution. ZFW-EWR is only available via UA and cannot be rebooked in connection with any other carrier. Amtrak tickets run as low as $69 and NJ Transit for substantially less in substantially less comfort. Your travel insurance should cover that in any event.

Search this Thread