Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Class Action Lawsuit Against Aeroplan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class Action Lawsuit Against Aeroplan?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
To have a class action lawsuit against AP don’t you have to be their customer?

To clarify. Their customers are air canada, TD, etc.

You are the customer of Air Canada, TD, or whenever else you are getting the miles from. But you are not actually the customer of Aeroplan.

Also you’re not even really a customer. It’s a loyalty program. So wouldn’t you have to go after the loyalty program provider?
Mwenenzi, tcook052 and skybluesea like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
It strikes me as odd when people are ultra frustrated and fall back on the attitude of "SUE those .......s!" but don't really have a concrete reason or expected outcome.

Is there some precedent where suing a corporation resulted in better access to customer service for the masses?

In this case I would go with a long-winded and barely comprehensible letter full of legalese. It was just such a letter that solved all our deflategate woes.
Bohemian1, 24left, PB53x11 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I agree this Aeroplan situation is BS. But yea, I'm not sure a class action lawsuit is the way to go.

I've got a huge max length, max segments J round the world booking. Segments keep dropping off, I've contacted AP probably 8 times about it, they always graciously fix it, purchase the segments that are needed to be purchased, then I'm all set. Only to have segments drop off again a week or two later. Now, my trip isn't until Jan but I'm concerned about it for sure. I'm amazed that they're not offering call backs. Not even offering holds most of the time.

Again if you're ALWAYS experiencing higher than expected call volumes, should you not raise your expectations of call volumes? I think we're beyond them hiring a handful more bodies though. I'm not sure how much this has to do with the switch to amadeus and the big problems that has caused, or if this is something more. It needs to get fixed, but for now I'm kinda at their mercy as well. I'll have to make some calls to them at like 0300am PST and see if I can get in then. If not, I'll be checking with my travel insurance policy to see if I can buy my own flights if I have to last minute and bill them back or what to do. Cuz it's gonna be damned expensive that's for sure.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by james dean
Gee, I called Aeroplan yesterday to see why I couldn't check-in online for a rewards flight...only took less than 3 minutes to get a nice agent on the phone.
That's because when you punched in your AP #, they see that you have SE status or diamond or whatever high status. Some of us peons like me have no status, thus, we get the "please call back later" bs
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Speedy12
50 times is unacceptable and 300 times is really really bad.

Aeroplan should be held accountable.
You hold them accountable by moving your business to the competition. A class action lawsuit would take years, and by then these issues would not even be remembered by most travellers.

I’m sure things will improve over the next few weeks. If they don’t, talk with your money and move over to WS.

However, keep in mind that WS has also had their fair share of technical, union, reservation system, etc. issues that have delayed flights and frustrated travellers.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
ok, since you don’t think we understand how class action lawsuits work, then I am not going to answer that. Although I did upthread.

There is a pretty prolific passenger right advocated named Lucas: https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/about/team

I have a friend who is an aviation lawyer and his rate is $500 per hour. If interested I can share his contact info.

They can answer your question.
LOL, oh Lucas would love a case like this. It is his opinion if you get farted on in the wrong way, you are subject to compensation. His facebook group page is ... interesting
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: ba silver
I agree with most posters that suing Aeroplan is a bad idea and wouldn' t go anywhere but I do think passengers should be much better protected. With all of the problems passengers have had reaching Air Canada and rebooking their flights, as well as Air Canada choosing to remove the self-rebooking tool the government needs to step in.

What we need is a law that in case an airline cancels a flight they either rebook the passenger immediately, allow passengers to use a self rebooking tool on their website, or answer the telephone in a timely manner ( say no more than 30 minutes; I'm pretty sure airline executives and must-rides don't have these problems when their flights are delayed).

If an airline choose not to do any of these, a passenger whose travel is impacted should be free to go on offending airline's website ( or the ticketing carrier if different at the passenger's sole discretion) and rebook any seat avail for sale, with that fare being refunded to the passenger and either through a charge-back or claim a for the new ticket, as they have already paid for their transportation. It' s up to the airlines to chose whether the rebook passengers in a timely manner or the passengers will do it for them, and the airlines that don' t take care of their passengers will take a hit by having all of their inventory depleted. Passengers pay airlines for transportation; not the other way around. I understand IROPs happen and never get frustrated as I know front line employees are doing their best. It just boils my blood when my flight is cancelled and I can't get through to get rebooked while the airline is still selling seats for the flight I want on their website. Sometimes I think they do it for the money: from the airline' s point of view it does make sense to not rebook a passenger on a discount fare when you could sell it for much more to a new client at walk-up rates. That' s just wrong: airline CEO's should take care of displaced clients before the new ones; the money' s not coming out of the CEO' s pocket anyway so why should they care?

Last edited by stevendorechester; Dec 3, 2019 at 2:38 pm Reason: mistake
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AC7E7
You hold them accountable by moving your business to the competition. A class action lawsuit would take years, and by then these issues would not even be remembered by most travellers.
Most people are calling because they have an existing reservation . How do you propose they "move" that business?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: aeroplan continental
Just reading " worst rated major airline, Air Canada" today.

I tried calling 3 times a week ago as online it showed flight departed while texting with daughter hoping to board for flight AC 555 which was delayed a few times. Never got through. I don't worry about Aeroplan, no available points flights 2 months from now. Ses there never is. Sent back Aeroplan TD card yesterday, never used as points seem useless on flights I want.

Originally Posted by Speedy12
Is it possible? Where to start?

Govt agency we can complain to?

Contact the media?

We need to shame Aeroplan and let them know this is unacceptable.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 5, 2019 at 4:28 am Reason: fix quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold
If I find the line ups at the cashiers too long at my local grocery store, should I start a class action law suit? Obviously not.

The advice given by others above to vote with your wallet is the correct approach.
skybluesea, Bohemian1 and RangerNS like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Nexus
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Despite numerous existing protections and laws, this is still happening.

So respectfully, more laws will make NO difference.

And let's not forget Aeroplan, which is what this Thread is about, is just a travel agent embedded in Air Canada.

Unfortunately, only two effective choices remain.

Either nationalize Air Canada, and let government run this mess (further into the ground, IMHO).

or

Stop protecting Air Canada from global competition and allow any competitor who is safe into the Canadian marketplace.

And NO lawsuit will make Aeroplan do what you wish - NO court can make something happen, all they can do is force compensation where a breach has occurred.

Instead, and which I have done twice already since the Amadeus transition, write to Air Canada and/or Aeroplan depending on the particulars of your beef and demand action.

And better yet, join in and call on other FTers to do the same as Class Action is folly in the wind, when pressing action is needed now...
Where’s the breach of contract? You booked a flight and you got it. Service standards of how many hours it takes to answer your call to change a flight is at best ancillary to the contract and in my perspective quite irrelevant. You don’t like the wait times - go and cancel and move on. There’s no service standard in the call, and they were never obliged to take your call in the first place.

What are your legal damages? No one seems to be able to answer this, because you don’t have any.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: TK *G
The best way is to vote with your wallet. I can't measure the damage of call centre wait time, but AC/AP can measure it if they see a drop in revenue and profit.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
If I find the line ups at the cashiers too long at my local grocery store, should I start a class action law suit? Obviously not.

The advice given by others above to vote with your wallet is the correct approach.
But do the cashier's tell you to go home once you fill up your cart because the lines are too long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.