Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Signature seat partition-drops?

Old Nov 26, 19, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I plan to fly internationally with my wife who does not like flying, and always holds my hand when we take off/land. We were planning to fly signature class, but it looks like the middle 2 seats, though side-by-side, have a big divider between them. Can you drop that divider so see/reach your seatmate? TIA.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DaveZ62 View Post
I plan to fly internationally with my wife who does not like flying, and always holds my hand when we take off/land. We were planning to fly signature class, but it looks like the middle 2 seats, though side-by-side, have a big divider between them. Can you drop that divider so see/reach your seatmate? TIA.
Unfortunately, no (788, 789, 77L, 77W).
Old Nov 26, 19, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

alright, thanks for the quick reply!
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
It is possible to hold hands. Just try different techniques and you'll find one that works.

On my last flight, the SD suggested one of us sit on the other's lap, so that's also an option. Though probably not for takeoff.
Old Nov 27, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
On my last flight, the SD suggested one of us sit on the other's lap, so that's also an option. Though probably not for takeoff.
I certainly hope that OP's wife doesn't qualify as a lap infant!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
It is possible to hold hands. Just try different techniques and you'll find one that works.

But for landing it's ok. (no hard or soft jokes)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
As long as you're not this couple https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31740234-post1131.html where you're both not fitting in the pod and you are loud as hell. Because in that situation enough people sitting in J complained that the FA and then when she was ignored the SD backed up with some threats managed to get people back in to their own pods.

Be considerate. Or, you know, just live with less physical contact for the duration of the flight. Or book on an airline that has J seating that is more couple friendly.
Old Nov 27, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
British Airways has dividers in some configurations of Club World, their version of business class, that can be lowered by either passenger. Depending on your destination that might be a solution.
Old Nov 27, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe this is why all the seats are deflating. Okay, possibly not.
Old Nov 27, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by DaveZ62 View Post
You'd think that the Brains Trust in AC Planning would have gone for adjustable partitions and not fancy seats with bladders eh? Seats without electric bladders must be cheaper than regular seats.... Does anyone know of any other airline that has their own deflategate gong show being inflicted on their premium clients? No, didn't think so.
Old Nov 27, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
The pods are self contained, which is great news for people traveling alone, or with long time partners.
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
I was thinking about this last week while on a widebody in J as I watched a couple trying to chat over it.
Why couldn't they make the divider work? It could be left in the default (up) position, but lowered when a couple wanted to. There's probably a reason behind the decision, but it would be nice to know it is evidence based rather than some random committee decision one day way back.
monkai likes this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by tomvancouver View Post
I was thinking about this last week while on a widebody in J as I watched a couple trying to chat over it.
Why couldn't they make the divider work? It could be left in the default (up) position, but lowered when a couple wanted to. There's probably a reason behind the decision, but it would be nice to know it is evidence based rather than some random committee decision one day way back.
If I had to guess, I would say cost. Anything that moves will be more expensive, require more maintenance, will be more prone to breakage and will be more complex to certify than a static sheet of plastic.
canadiancow, RangerNS and ACYYZ/SD like this.
Old Nov 28, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
If I had to guess, I would say cost. Anything that moves will be more expensive, require more maintenance, will be more prone to breakage and will be more complex to certify than a static sheet of plastic.
The original seats on the 777's had movable dividers which lowered up and down.. With time and use they became loose and a regular maintenance item, and most significantly, they rattled during minimal turbulence plus and proved to be disturbing. And thus...somebody made a decision.
Old Nov 28, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I discovered the downside of dividers on a BA flight when a bored and somewhat hyperactive pre-teen began to amuse herself by raising and lowering the divider that separated us. The problem was solved after I had a polite word with her mum who was sitting across the aisle from her daughter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: