Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Continuous In-flight Beverage Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continuous In-flight Beverage Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Aside from SOP...

My personal opinion is that every 20 minutes is too frequent.. often when I'm awake in between meal services with my noise cancelling headsets on, I actually want to be left alone. Also, when I am aware of service coming around to me, I take off my headsets (and pause whatever I'm listening to/watching) out of respect for the FA/SD while talking to them. I get the sense that the SDs are aware of this sometimes.

But this is one of those things that will invoke serious debate for the next 1,000 posts in this thread.
Every 20 minutes? 25 minutes? 22.53943946 minutes? 53.03857 minutes?

But if the SOP says 20 minutes... then who am I to argue with.
ffsim likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I think I've experienced a high of once every 45 mins with a 2 hr gap in the middle to a low of just two drinks on a morning LAX-YYZ. First drink (Baileys coffee) was delivered with attitude, the second a water, and that's all dude would give anyone. Did an e-mail complaint later, got form reply.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
In domestic J, I find the flight attendant (generally an SD) is always checking to see if I would like another drink. I haven't flown international J in a long time, so I can't really compare.

Though one time I was flying YYC-YYZ in Signature class, and I had to track down the FA to hang up my jacket! The meal dishes were practically thrown in front of me during the service, and I was only offered a drink on two occasions. That was the worst service I've ever had...

And I think every 20 minutes is too frequent. I would say 30-40 minutes depending on length of flight.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by codfather
In domestic J, I find the flight attendant (generally an SD) is always checking to see if I would like another drink. I haven't flown international J in a long time, so I can't really compare.

Though one time I was flying YYC-YYZ in Signature class, and I had to track down the FA to hang up my jacket! The meal dishes were practically thrown in front of me during the service, and I was only offered a drink on two occasions. That was the worst service I've ever had...

And I think every 20 minutes is too frequent. I would say 30-40 minutes depending on length of flight.
Has there been an uptick of nastier SDs/FAs on transcons?

I agree that three times an hour is much. I'm even good with every hour... but whatever.. SOP is SOP.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Has there been an uptick of nastier SDs/FAs on transcons?

I agree that three times an hour is much. I'm even good with every hour... but whatever.. SOP is SOP.
Not to my knowledge. Aside from that one experience I had, it has been mostly good.

Is it just me? Or is service generally better on narrowbody aircraft? Smaller J cabin obviously makes it easier for the FA to follow the 20-minute rule.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by codfather
Not to my knowledge. Aside from that one experience I had, it has been mostly good.

Is it just me? Or is service generally better on narrowbody aircraft? Smaller J cabin obviously makes it easier for the FA to follow the 20-minute rule.
The best domestic J services I have received over the years were on the YYZ-YEG route, and yes, narrowbodies.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
"Immaculate"?

As long as we exclude AC lavs, it would be interesting to see how many of those experiences we have had collectively.
It is amazing the difference in the cleanliness of the labs between NA and Asian/Middle East airlines. Mind you, EK does have two dedicated washroom attendants in F, so I wouldn't expect quite that level of service.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Not only not additional drinks offered but I had my wine glass 1/2 full confiscated about 45 minutes to landing today and assumed it was to bring contents back to me in a plastic cup and I never saw it nor the FA again. (I was working on my laptop, not unruly, and had not spilled anything so no reason to cut me off.) This was ACr not Signature.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Last september flew BRU-YUL-BRU on AC and was surprised how often they walked by with a drink cart, did not check my watch tough.
Did not experience this on other transatl's or Asia Europe flights over the last 20 years.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:14 am

One thread wondering why drinks aren't served every 20 minutes and another thread wondering why the
washroom line ups are so long.
No wonder AC can't win.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AC SE-MM
YYC-FRA this past Sunday I would say they came around every 20 - 30 min with water and asked if you would prefer something else. Once I had my headset on they would just pass by unless I flagged them down.
codfather likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK *G
The best I have had was crew member walking the cabin every hour or so, with glasses of water and OJ, but I can always get what I want if I visit the galley or press the call button (only pressed it once for the past 8 or 9 years).
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Every hour is very different than the standard of 20 minutes.

If I have 1/4 of my drink left and they come every 20 minutes, I'll wait. If it's every 60, I'll ask for a refill.

But I don't even think I was getting every hour.

I try to avoid AC ULH as much as possible, and they seem to be much better within North America.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: TK *G
I think the flight length and timing may be a factor too. I see FAs walking the cabin much more often on AC15 than AC8, as most people are awake AC15 but asleep on AC8. It’s much more common to see crew members proactively offering beverages and snacks on TPAC flights from YYZ than TPAC flights to YVR.

I will also mention that once I had an empty glass staying at my seat from Anchorage all the way to Okinawa. FA finally picked it up during the second meal service.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Aaaaand AC8 is adhering to this. Quite well.

Mind you, I liked this SD before the doors closed, so I'm more willing to attribute this to "good SD" than anything else.

Or in other words, "the crew that made me post this thread was not great for several reasons, only one of which was mentioned in this thread, but there was one FA who was actually pretty awesome, and held back by his colleagues"

We're still near Japan, and I've had more water (if you include Perrier) on AC 8 than I did on AC 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.