Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI requiring ESTA for Canadian

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
OLCI requiring ESTA for Canadian

I'm trying to check-in for my flight from LAS-YYC tomorrow but it won;'t let me check-in since the website is saying that I require an ESTA despite being a Canadian resident and travelling on a Canadian passport. Is this an issue with the new booking system? I'd love to just call AC and find out but despite calling the *SE100k line, I've been on hold for half an hour.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by luckylager
I'm trying to check-in for my flight from LAS-YYC tomorrow but it won;'t let me check-in since the website is saying that I require an ESTA despite being a Canadian resident and travelling on a Canadian passport. Is this an issue with the new booking system? I'd love to just call AC and find out but despite calling the *SE100k line, I've been on hold for half an hour.

Any ideas?
@luckylager

Check-in at the airport. They will scan your passport and docs should clear. I've had this a few times well before the migration.

And while you're there, you can ask why the website is requiring these items. Someone else posted in the Amadeus thread that they had trouble checking in. It might be tied to info in your profile and on your booking that didn't migrate to where it should.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skybluesea
you refer to Canadian resident not citizen?

OP wrote

Originally Posted by luckylager
....despite being a Canadian resident and travelling on a Canadian passport......
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 22, 2020 at 5:20 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skybluesea
I have two passports, so unclear your point?
Reread the OP. He is a Canadian citizen. He is trying to check it. Website is asking for ESTA.

Your 2 passports and even my 2 passports are irrelevant. He does not need ESTA and AC's website is messed up.

And yes, your question is valid if he had entered the country or listed his second passport on the booking. He did not mention having 2 passports, so I see no point in that.

My recommendation to him to check in at airport remains the easiest solution since calling AC any line, will not improve his situation given the current wait times.
jasdou, canadiancow, ecc and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
To clarify, I am a Canadian citizen (born and raised), still live in Canada, and travel on a Canadian passport. When checking in at LAS, the issue baffled the (contracted 3rd party) check-in staff. They were able to exempt the need for the ETA but weren't able to give any insight as to why the issue popped up to begin with, so I still have no idea what the issue was and if it will continue. I travel transborder again in a few days, so will find out in short order.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Nexus
As this thread was helpfully linked by 24left, you have another data point of a Canadian citizen getting an eTA request on checkin using a Canadian passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.