Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Retrieve promo code from cancelled flight?

Retrieve promo code from cancelled flight?

Old Nov 23, 19, 11:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC Elite, *A Gold
Posts: 76
Retrieve promo code from cancelled flight?

Even though I've cancelled the flight, I keep getting the message that my promo code has already been used. Does anyone know whether it's possible to retrieve it and, if so, how?
Tired of Traveling is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:32 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,923
Originally Posted by Tired of Traveling View Post
Even though I've cancelled the flight, I keep getting the message that my promo code has already been used. Does anyone know whether it's possible to retrieve it and, if so, how?
Calling reservations. Yes, I know... Next month?
canadiancow likes this.
Stranger is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 12:45 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,172
AC will officially say that it cannot be retrieved but I guess like most things YMMV...
hydrogen is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 2:12 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,923
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
AC will officially say that it cannot be retrieved but I guess like most things YMMV...
May be true technically. But I have had reservations reapply the same discount on a new ticket.
Stranger is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 2:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
May be true technically. But I have had reservations reapply the same discount on a new ticket.
Ah lucky. They told me "that it was lost forever". I didn't push.
But I guess AC is consistently inconsistent...
hydrogen is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 4:17 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,923
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
Ah lucky. They told me "that it was lost forever". I didn't push.
But I guess AC is consistently inconsistent...
This is one of these situations where status may help. On a lucky day...
Stranger is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 152
From my experience when you cancel booking and get a credit, the discount code remains attached. When you call to rebook using the same PNR, the discount code applies to the newly selected flights. I've had this happen a few times with % off codes and comfort for the price of flex codes. The agent told me they could see the discount code already applied. I suspect you still need to stay within the expiration window of the code but I've never had to rebook past that so I can't say for sure.
jeffypop75 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 6:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,766
Originally Posted by jeffypop75 View Post
From my experience when you cancel booking and get a credit, the discount code remains attached. When you call to rebook using the same PNR, the discount code applies to the newly selected flights. I've had this happen a few times with % off codes and comfort for the price of flex codes. The agent told me they could see the discount code already applied. I suspect you still need to stay within the expiration window of the code but I've never had to rebook past that so I can't say for sure.
When you retain the credit to rebook later, you also retain the PNR and its creation date, which is why the promo code would still be attached and the discount still applies. You would only need to ensure you are not booking outside the travel period or inside the blackout period stipulated by the said discount code.
YYT82 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:47 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
When you retain the credit to rebook later, you also retain the PNR and its creation date, which is why the promo code would still be attached and the discount still applies. You would only need to ensure you are not booking outside the travel period or inside the blackout period stipulated by the said discount code.
I guess the only downside would be if the new ticket is less than the cancelled one, the excess amount is forfeit
hydrogen is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,766
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
I guess the only downside would be if the new ticket is less than the cancelled one, the excess amount is forfeit
Not if it is a refundable or partially refundable international ticket.
YYT82 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:05 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE, SPG PLAT, National Executive
Posts: 1,522
On the topic of cancellation.
I had cancelled a YVR - TLV ticket and called in a few days ago to book a YVR - MIA. The agent said that it can only be used for a "similar" destination and not for a flight to MIA.
Does anyone know if this is true and what constitutes a similar destination?
mendy7511 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,766
Originally Posted by mendy7511 View Post
On the topic of cancellation.
I had cancelled a YVR - TLV ticket and called in a few days ago to book a YVR - MIA. The agent said that it can only be used for a "similar" destination and not for a flight to MIA.
Does anyone know if this is true and what constitutes a similar destination?
For practical purposes, the agent should be correct. Let me explain why I used the word practical. Your YVR-TLV ticket likely has these change/cancellation fees: $300/$300 for economy, $150/$150 for premium economy, $500/$600 for business (fully refundable tickets excepted). YVR-MIA fares are generally non-refundable, and since in a ticket change the most restrictive fare conditions apply, how does the agent charge the change fees then?

Therefore, it is far easier for the reservations agents to exchange tickets by similar types. Your YVR-TLV ticket can be exchanged for most, if not all, TATLs and even those to Africa, but trying to exchange them for TPAC or domestic/TB you might run into issues.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be exceptions, but since the ticket rules confuse even some reservations agents, most would likely try sticking with what they are comfortable with.
YYT82 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:50 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE, SPG PLAT, National Executive
Posts: 1,522
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
For practical purposes, the agent should be correct. Let me explain why I used the word practical. Your YVR-TLV ticket likely has these change/cancellation fees: $300/$300 for economy, $150/$150 for premium economy, $500/$600 for business (fully refundable tickets excepted). YVR-MIA fares are generally non-refundable, and since in a ticket change the most restrictive fare conditions apply, how does the agent charge the change fees then?

Therefore, it is far easier for the reservations agents to exchange tickets by similar types. Your YVR-TLV ticket can be exchanged for most, if not all, TATLs and even those to Africa, but trying to exchange them for TPAC or domestic/TB you might run into issues.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be exceptions, but since the ticket rules confuse even some reservations agents, most would likely try sticking with what they are comfortable with.
Thanks for the explanation.
I guess I will try again next time I have a trans Atlantic flight.
mendy7511 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
Not if it is a refundable or partially refundable international ticket.
If your original ticket is partly refundable (I assume that means fully refundable with a penalty), and then you rebook to a flight of lesser value, keeping the coupon code, I assume you would still have to pay the penalty to get the refund of the residual value, even if you made the chance within 24h of the original booking?
hydrogen is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:51 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,923
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
If your original ticket is partly refundable (I assume that means fully refundable with a penalty), and then you rebook to a flight of lesser value, keeping the coupon code, I assume you would still have to pay the penalty to get the refund of the residual value, even if you made the chance within 24h of the original booking?
Witin 24 hours, you can cancel entirely and get a refund. With no penalty. Regardless of the fare rules. So, no.
Stranger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: