Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

eUps pre-airport for regulars since Amadeus

eUps pre-airport for regulars since Amadeus

Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE HHgold
It is a month after the booking window for award ticket was changed to 3 days. The website eUpgrade is still not working. Air Canada reservation desk still not does not know it was changed. I guided her through the change. The worst is that the agent did not even aware that 3 days mean 72 hours! She insisted that 3 days from today did not include today and I have to call back tomorrow. I gave up and called again.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
I wondered that. Wouldn't better PR be to upgrade paying passengers free, rather than alienating their 'best' customers?
Ac 081 just had 6 non-rev upgrades to J and multiple self-upgrades to PY.

I actually got a message to see the agent when trying to board. He scanned my passport and looked at his small pile of boarding passes... and didn't give me one 😥. Op-up tease!

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Ac 081 just had 6 non-rev upgrades to J and multiple self-upgrades to PY.

I actually got a message to see the agent when trying to board. He scanned my passport and looked at his small pile of boarding passes... and didn't give me one 😥. Op-up tease!

Dr. PITUK
AC anticipointment at its finest.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
There are quite a number of AC employees taking flights who are happy with the Amadeus migration, and they probably are hoping the eUpgrade problems never get fixed.
gcashin likes this.

Last edited by YYT82; Dec 23, 2019 at 2:53 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
I tried to upgrade myself and hubby (he was on an award ticket) on our recent YYZ-YUL flight, concierge 1 a few days before our flight told me to come in day of flight and they would do a complimentary upgrade for him due to all the Amadeus issues.
Day of travel extremely inexperienced concierge didn’t even know you could upgrade award tickets, so I showed her the AC site, she then said it would be $75. Which totall contradicted what I was told by concierge 1. As a compromise she gave us a $15 buy on board coupon. Once on board 5 of the 9 J seats were AC employees.
at least we got a free drink each
All of the concierges I spoke to were in the Toronto Concierge office
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:41 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It Sucks to have to educate front line staff for sure.

Inexperienced concierges in YYZ seems to a bit of theme here. Seems a bit counterintuitive that AC would have their least experienced people at their largest hub, but it would seem that is the case, at least anecdotally.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Dec 23, 2019 at 10:42 am Reason: Et to Brute?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It Sucks to have to educate front line staff for sure.

Inexperienced concierges in YYZ seems to a bit of theme here. Seems a bit counterintuitive that AC would have their least experienced people at their largest hub, but it would seem that is the case, at least anecdotally.
I recall an insider explaining to me that this was the former BS's way of indoctrinating the inexperienced in an expeditious manner by holding them to the fire to start... not sure if that was some sort of pedagogical theory, psychopathology, or Babcockisms... probably all of the above.

I wanted to discuss the eUpgrade thing at recent DOs I've attended, but kept on forgetting... so I'll state it here. I've spoken to approximately 20 different AC agents at a few airports since the migration and they've noted that "their own non-revs" are getting all the upgrades now at the gate. I take everything with a grain of salt (even when this sort of makes sense due to the pre-migration announcement of post-migration inabilities to properly process eUps at the gate) when I hear something from one or two people who work at the airport, but when 20 of them say the same thing, corroborated by anecdotal evidence here... it's hard to ignore or discount.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I recall an insider explaining to me that this was the former BS's way of indoctrinating the inexperienced in an expeditious manner by holding them to the fire to start... not sure if that was some sort of pedagogical theory, psychopathology, or Babcockisms... probably all of the above.

I wanted to discuss the eUpgrade thing at recent DOs I've attended, but kept on forgetting... so I'll state it here. I've spoken to approximately 20 different AC agents at a few airports since the migration and they've noted that "their own non-revs" are getting all the upgrades now at the gate. I take everything with a grain of salt (even when this sort of makes sense due to the pre-migration announcement of post-migration inabilities to properly process eUps at the gate) when I hear something from one or two people who work at the airport, but when 20 of them say the same thing, corroborated by anecdotal evidence here... it's hard to ignore or discount.
I believe you.

As I stated upthread, I think that if you aren't upgraded until T-24, you aren't likely to get upgraded without the intervention of a concierge. Which means that unless you are SE, you are SOL.

Which further implies there are going to be more empty seats in J, which will get allocated to staff.

Given that AC has been pretty upfront about the fact that if you aren't upgraded until T-24 you probably won't be, I don't have a problem with this. (In terms of rules being broken. Yes, it is stupid, irritating, and means the company has the wrong priorities. But my read is that it is an unintentional consequence of the system migration. And ultimately if the system really is that broken that they truly can't process an upgrade inside T-24, then I would rather staff get it than nobody.)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
I believe you.

As I stated upthread, I think that if you aren't upgraded until T-24, you aren't likely to get upgraded without the intervention of a concierge. Which means that unless you are SE, you are SOL.

Which further implies there are going to be more empty seats in J, which will get allocated to staff.

Given that AC has been pretty upfront about the fact that if you aren't upgraded until T-24 you probably won't be, I don't have a problem with this. (In terms of rules being broken. Yes, it is stupid, irritating, and means the company has the wrong priorities. But my read is that it is an unintentional consequence of the system migration. And ultimately if the system really is that broken that they truly can't process an upgrade inside T-24, then I would rather staff get it than nobody.)
However, they're also being stupid with pre-processing of upgrades in a way that helps many eUpgraders.

A flight that was J9 R0 at T-36 (I don't know the actual load because I wasn't watching it) cleared the entire waitlist and went to J1 R1 at T-48. This was a wide-body YVR-YYZ.

They're definitely doing what they can, even if it causes other issues.

But I also await the DCS migration so everything can go back to normal.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Here is another glitch; e-up did not clear at T - 36, went to check in at T - 24 and the website posted that my flight had been cancelled. After a freakout, I called AC Reservations, who told me, that when your e-up is cancelled for some reason the website reports that your entire flight has been cancelled. The agent assured me that all was well, except for my OLCI glitch which I have commented about in another thread.

The only silver in lining in this is that AC reservations answered right away, no wait time.

I also note that on the standby / upgrade list on the app the same names appear on each of the lists, suggesting that it is only non rev that can be waitlisted for the upgrade after T-36, as has been suspected.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:44 am

There have been plenty of revenue pax listed at the gate in recent days.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There have been plenty of revenue pax listed at the gate in recent days.
For all flights, or some flights? Like, completely random?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:10 pm

Obviously not all flights... There has to be someone who wants an upgrade.

I checked an arbitrary flight today, 739, and it has revenue pax listed.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Obviously not all flights... There has to be someone who wants an upgrade.

I checked an arbitrary flight today, 739, and it has revenue pax listed.
Maybe they're all SEs only.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:14 pm

Possible, but that's certainly not "only non rev".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.