Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight change without notification - Missed Connection (not the Craigslist kind)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight change without notification - Missed Connection (not the Craigslist kind)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I checked my ticket for my upcoming flight (MAD-YYZ-BOS) and noticed both flights changed the departure time so it went from having 1hr 40min to connect, to only 15min .

There is no way I can connect in 15 minutes to connect to a US flight, is there? It looks like the one after leaves 3 hours later but they didn't put me on that flight.

Do AC typically not notify the passengers of schedule changes? And if I miss the second flight, how do I change the flight to a later one (I am hoping they will accommodate free of charge given their schedule change)?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the flight is more than a month away, I'd wait a week for the phone lines to die down. Then call in, and they'll move you without any issue
SparseFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I suppose there is a possibility that the second flight is delayed so I might actually make it. So far all flights I've had with Air Canada were delayed.

If they put me on the next flight I won't be able to get to the destination until 2 hours later than I anticipated. I suppose I should find something to do in the airport - although I recall the transborder section of the terminal 1 pretty small...
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by noobynoob
Thanks, I suppose there is a possibility that the second flight is delayed so I might actually make it. So far all flights I've had with Air Canada were delayed.

If they put me on the next flight I won't be able to get to the destination until 2 hours later than I anticipated. I suppose I should find something to do in the airport - although I recall the transborder section of the terminal 1 pretty small...
Unlikely that you would make it even if the second flight is delayed. After all, there's a good chance the first flight will be delayed

For MAD-YYZ-BOS, yes, they're almost certain to just stick you on the next YYZ-BOS, provided that meets the minimum connection time (MCT). The MCT at YYZ for International-US connections is 1:25.

There's also a decent chance that if you do nothing, at some point AC's system will automatically re-book you on that later YYZ-BOS flight, but generally better to be proactive.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Unlikely that you would make it even if the second flight is delayed. After all, there's a good chance the first flight will be delayed

For MAD-YYZ-BOS, yes, they're almost certain to just stick you on the next YYZ-BOS, provided that meets the minimum connection time (MCT). The MCT at YYZ for International-US connections is 1:25.

There's also a decent chance that if you do nothing, at some point AC's system will automatically re-book you on that later YYZ-BOS flight, but generally better to be proactive.
So the changed itinerary does not meet the MCT you mentioned (not sure if this is a problem). If I have to take a later flight and arrive at the destination late, would this be considered a delay for reasons within control of the airline when they changed the flight times of my original flights?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:15 pm

When is your flight?

A schedule change is not a delay.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

It will be in late December. I thought a delay meant a period of time by which something is late or postponed, but perhaps not a "delay" for the purpose of APPR...

Upon having a closer look, it looks like my YYZ-BOS flight was actually cancelled and I have been rebooked to a different YYZ-BOS flight - it has a different aircraft and flight number. Or maybe they just changed the number and decided to use a different equipment. Either way, it looks like the substitution of equipment would be considered schedule irregularity according to the following:

From Air Canada's international tarriff (https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf)
"Schedule irregularity” means any of the following:
a) Delay in scheduled departure or arrival of a carrier's flight
b) Flight cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption in the scheduled operation of a carrier's flight, or
c) Substitution of equipmentor of a different class of service, or
d) Schedule changes which require rerouting of passenger at departure time of the original flight.

So it looks like they will arrange alternate transportation (or I could arrange own transportation to Boston and request a carrer-caused refund for the unused portion). Is this the case?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:25 pm

What do you want?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So it looks like they will arrange alternate transportation (or I could arrange own transportation to Boston and request a carrer-caused refund for the unused portion). Is this the case?
They're going to re-book you on the next YYZ-BOS that meets MCT.

If you want a full refund, they will likely give that to you free of charge. Don't mention the equipment change, just say your original flight was cancelled and the new one doesn't work for you.

But cancelling the YYZ-BOS and getting a part redund... Why would you want to do that?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to arrive on time but since that seems to be out of commission the next best case would be, as you guys suggested, getting on the next flight. I'm sure if there is any delay due to a bad weather, the airline won't be liable to anything anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
They're going to re-book you on the next YYZ-BOS that meets MCT.

If you want a full refund, they will likely give that to you free of charge. Don't mention the equipment change, just say your original flight was cancelled and the new one doesn't work for you.

But cancelling the YYZ-BOS and getting a part redund... Why would you want to do that?
I was thinking of a scenario where the subsequent flights from YYZ that evening are full, so I might need to go to YTZ to fly porter but yeah the partial refund would only be a fraction of the cost I paid so I agree it's not worth it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:45 pm

You don't need to worry about subsequent flights for now. Get re-booked on a flight that does meet MCT in advance. Then if there's a significant delay to your inbound, they will do their best to get you there that day. If the flights are all full, then they'll likely put you up in a hotel and send you out early the next day. But with MCT at 1:25, your chances of making the connection even with some delay to the inbound should be fairly good.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:53 pm

It will be in late December. I thought a delay meant a period of time by which something is late or postponed, but perhaps not a "delay" for the purpose of APPR...

Upon having a closer look, it looks like my YYZ-BOS flight was actually cancelled and I have been rebooked to a different YYZ-BOS flight - it has a different aircraft and flight number. Or maybe they just changed the number and decided to use a different equipment. Either way, it looks like the substitution of equipment would be considered schedule irregularity according to the following:

From Air Canada's international tarriff (https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf)
"Schedule irregularity” means any of the following:
a) Delay in scheduled departure or arrival of a carrier's flight
b) Flight cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption in the scheduled operation of a carrier's flight, or
c) Substitution of equipmentor of a different class of service, or
d) Schedule changes which require rerouting of passenger at departure time of the original flight.

Per the appr, delays or cancelation more than 14 days out don't trigger compensation and more than 12 hours out don't trigger standard of care

Originally Posted by https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2019-150/page-2.html#h-1129787
  • 12 (1) Subject to subsection 10(2), this section applies to a carrier when there is delay, cancellation or denial of boarding that is within the carrier’s control but is not referred to in subsections 11(1) or (2).
  • Marginal noteelay

(2) In the case of a delay, the carrier must
    • (a) provide passengers with the information set out in section 13;
    • (b) if a passenger is informed of the delay less than 12 hours before the departure time that is indicated on their original ticket, provide them with the standard of treatment set out in section 14;
    • (c) if the delay is a delay of three hours or more, provide alternate travel arrangements or a refund, in the manner set out in section 17, to a passenger who desires such arrangements; and
    • (d) if a passenger is informed 14 days or less before the departure time on their original ticket that the arrival of their flight at the destination that is indicated on that original ticket will be delayed, provide the minimum compensation for inconvenience in the manner set out in section 19.

noobynoob likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You flight is several weeks out, there is no EU261 protection or anything like that

I suggest you find what you want, that is available now and then maybe look at *A partners and see if LH or UA may give you a better chance of getting to BOS on time

Call them and have those options available - However, I have no idea how "Flexible" Air Canada is on putting people on *A partners and I don't know if you have status

Either way, if it retains the 15 min connection for more than 2-3 days i would call and get them to look at it, but not before looking at potential options that would suit you better - They may say "No" to all of them and put you on the next YYZ-BOS flight but it never hurts to ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.