Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Upgrading on AC using Aeroplan points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Upgrading on AC using Aeroplan points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Upgrading on AC using Aeroplan points?

So I've noticed that both Delta and Emirates allow upgrades to the next class of service using points, regardless of which fare class you are in.

In fact I was recently able to upgrade a paid J flight on Emirates to first on their A380. Got to try the shower and all. It was fantastic.

Air Canada should introduce something similar? (And no, I'm not talking about the Star Alliance awards). Maybe like a bid upgrade but using points?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
What kind of points are we talking about here?

AE points? eUpgrade credits? ... etc
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Aeroplan points

For Delta and Emirates it was their program points.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Aeroplan points

For Delta and Emirates it was their program points.
IIRC (big if), at one point many years ago I tried to upgrade using AE points.

I was flying on a regular economy fare (I think it was tango at the time), and the agent told me it would be like 5,000 points I believe for YYZ-YDF.

I did not end up doing it, but unless I misheard her, it is possible to upgrade with AE points.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
You can upgrade using Aeroplan points but must be originally booked in Y/B/O.
codfather and ecc like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
You can upgrade using Aeroplan points but must be originally booked in Y/B/O.
Pretty sure it can only be done by an AC agent, as I had a lounge dragon look into it for me at the time.

No online method that I know of...
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
There is an online option though it is through the Star Alliance website (if I recall).
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
There is an online option though it is through the Star Alliance website (if I recall).
Interesting! I have never used that website for anything, though I may have to look into it now!

Does anybody know when upgrades are allowed in advance of flights? As in, is it similar to the current eUp system?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
Interesting! I have never used that website for anything, though I may have to look into it now!

Does anybody know when upgrades are allowed in advance of flights? As in, is it similar to the current eUp system?
You're describing the star alliance upgrdae awards (which the OP said he was not interested in). You book them via aeroplan and it costs (only) aeroplan points. There are very strict restrictions on the eligible fare clases - for Air Canada it's only from Y, B, and O. That said, it allows you to upgrade on most Star airlines, including (but not limited to) AC.
https://www.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do#/
canadiancow and ecc like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
You're describing the star alliance upgrdae awards (which the OP said he was not interested in). You book them via aeroplan and it costs (only) aeroplan points. There are very strict restrictions on the eligible fare clases - for Air Canada it's only from Y, B, and O. That said, it allows you to upgrade on most Star airlines, including (but not limited to) AC.
https://www.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do#/
Well, the OP did ask about upgrading using points, and the only points directly tied to AC are Aeroplan points and eUp credits.

Now I must admit, I was not aware of the fact that upgrading using AE points is considered a "star alliance upgrade award".

I would have assumed that is the case if they were travelling on a partner airline perhaps, but not in the case of flying on AC metal.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:21 pm

Well, the OP did ask about upgrading using points, and the only points directly tied to AC are Aeroplan points and eUp credits.

Now I must admit, I was not aware of the fact that upgrading using AE points is considered a "star alliance upgrade award".

I would have assumed that is the case if they were travelling on a partner airline perhaps, but not in the case of flying on AC metal.
If you poke around on the Aeroplan page I linked, you'll see that Air Canada is very explicitly included in the list of applicable airlines.
codfather likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:31 pm

If you poke around on the Aeroplan page I linked, you'll see that Air Canada is very explicitly included in the list of applicable airlines.
RIP

I was 22 minutes late clicking on that link and was instead led to my first encounter with the new Amadeus system.

Ahhhh this is going to be a smooth transition...
canopus27 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:47 pm

RIP

I was 22 minutes late clicking on that link and was instead led to my first encounter with the new Amadeus system.

Ahhhh this is going to be a smooth transition...
Huh. I hadn't realised that aeroplan.com would be down, too. Makes sense, I guess.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Huh. I hadn't realised that aeroplan.com would be down, too. Makes sense, I guess.
It went sideways a few hours before as I posted about having trouble booking a ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:55 pm

Given that AE is owned by Aimia (currently), I can see why that confusion would arise.

However, all AE availability is based on AC availability. The websites rely on each other, if one is down, so is the other, and so on so forth.
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.