Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Has / is AC planning to make changes to SE/Altitude privileges on Basic fares?

Old Nov 18, 19, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold

I was just looking to make a domestic booking and noticed the following verbiage when the "select fare below" popup appears... Under the part where for other fares it shows mileage accumulation for Basic it says "No Aeroplan/Altitude Benefits".

I had not noticed this before (IIRC in the past it said something about no mileage accumulation).

Does this mean that Basic will go the way of the LH group and we lose priority seat assignment and free baggage allowance?

Is this tied to Amadeus?
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I was just looking to make a domestic booking and noticed the following verbiage when the "select fare below" popup appears... Under the part where for other fares it shows mileage accumulation for Basic it says "No Aeroplan/Altitude Benefits".

I had not noticed this before (IIRC in the past it said something about no mileage accumulation).

Does this mean that Basic will go the way of the LH group and we lose priority seat assignment and free baggage allowance?

Is this tied to Amadeus?
Ok, I saw this last night while booking flights... I thought the wording has been the same all along but I think you raise a good point... But why SE? This would apply to all tiers anyway for the previous and current wording.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Just did my booking and at least for now as an SE I can still get a free preferred seat reservation on Basic.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC P25K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
It seems most airlines are not including FF benefits for those flying on basic fares.

They are really making it harder and harder for FFs to enjoy our benefits! Not that I would ever book basic all the same, unless it was incredibly cheaper.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC P25K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
Also, just saw this on the AC website under the Economy Basic information page. So looks like no change is imminent yet...

"Air Canada Altitude members will continue to enjoy their privileges, based on their Altitude status when travelling on an Economy Basic fare. eUpgrades will not be permitted on this fare."

HerpaYvr and marke190 like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Also, just saw this on the AC website under the Economy Basic information page. So looks like no change is imminent yet...

"Air Canada Altitude members will continue to enjoy their privileges, based on their Altitude status when travelling on an Economy Basic fare. eUpgrades will not be permitted on this fare."

"crisis averted"
Old Nov 18, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
"crisis averted"
For now.
Old Nov 18, 19, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
"crisis averted"
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
For now.
Bahahahaha I had a feeling these were the responses I was going to get!
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: *G
That "No Aeroplan/Altitude Benefits" note has been there for at least a few weeks although I don't recall seeing it earlier in the year when I was using basic fares for regional travel. I noticed it more recently when I looked at fares YYZ-YUL and worried that MLL access in particular might be gone. But decided on Via so the point became moot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: