Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K

Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K

Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Does the OP only need AQM ? What about AQD ?
If AQD is fine, then YYZ-TPE is another option.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, Shangri-La & IHG Diamond, & Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
If you just crossed the threshold for 50K, you shouldn’t need 3 paid J round trip YYZ-HKG to get you over the threshold for 100K.

2 will get you close enough (perhaps over if you route through YUL and YVR each way) that if you’re short you could do something much shorter and cheaer
Thanks for letting me know this route!
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Does the OP only need AQM ? What about AQD ?
If AQD is fine, then YYZ-TPE is another option.
Hi there. AQD is fine for reaching to 100K. AC route YYZ - YVR - TPE - YVR - YYZ itinerary is extremely expensive compared to YYZ - HKG. It sucks that the only direct flight from YYZ is EVA Air but only 125% in J.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:38 pm

In case you can't get the return boarding pass through your phone app...
Can you get your HKG-YYZ boarding pass before you leave YYZ? It should be within 24 hrs. That's your ticket through the HKG transfer desk. By going through the transfer security, you will bypass and not waste any time through HKG customs & immigration, etc.
In theory, there are transfer desks just outside of the transfer security and you can pick up your new paper boarding pass there, but I wouldn't count on there being anybody there to do it for you.
Swiftler likes this.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:00 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Another (possible) option for return BP: if traveling in J, you should have access to concierge in HKG. Ask the concierge in YYZ to have the HKG concierge print up the BP and meet you on arrival. YMMV.
asovse1 and Swiftler like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Get the boarding pass for AC16 in YYZ. As 24left states, VHHH is easy to transit. Best I've done is arrived at Gate 18 and within 15mins of deplaning I was sitting on AC16 at Gate 35.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
This does seem crazy! But I have seen crazier on FT, though much cheaper ways exist to get to SE100K (in the case of segment running that is, and considering you already have the required AQD)

Best of luck to you regardless!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
That's a brutal MR - you'll be recuperating or 2 days. Why not just overnight, grab a room in SkyCity, have a meal & do some shopping and head back the next day? Guessing that hotel rates have plunged in HK these days.
gcashin likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
That's a brutal MR - you'll be recuperating or 2 days. Why not just overnight, grab a room in SkyCity, have a meal & do some shopping and head back the next day? Guessing that hotel rates have plunged in HK these days.
I found the best "recuperating" was on AC 8 on the return. Marriott SkyCity prices are not as low as they once were. I have no idea how busy Asia World Expo trade shows are now but more airline crews and some others are staying at that hotel instead of in town. When I was there, last month, there were at least 4 different crews at breakfast. The hotels in town were giving away rooms but getting there was a challenge.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by 24left
I found the best "recuperating" was on AC 8 on the return. Marriott SkyCity prices are not as low as they once were. I have no idea how busy Asia World Expo trade shows are now but more airline crews and some others are staying at that hotel instead of in town. When I was there, last month, there were at least 4 different crews at breakfast. The hotels in town were giving away rooms but getting there was a challenge.
Actually good point. The prices are probably jacked as many who are transiting through are opting not to go into the city.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I'd much rather do an ULH mileage run instead of short hops.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I'd much rather do an ULH mileage run instead of short hops.
Likewise, but the reality of the situation is that SH flights are usually significantly cheaper.

Signature Service on YYZ-HKG-YYZ for 2-3 mileage runs would honestly be very enjoyable, I wouldn't hesitate to do that if I could afford it/had the time.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
As strange as this may sound but I prefer to get on the outbound flight as soon as I land Hong Kong. Pop a couple of Super Sleep pills and I'm all good for a long nap. Have a nice meal after I land in YYZ, take a shower and do it again.

I value the AC Concierge team very highly. It was a trip I did last year on AC Metal, YYZ - MUC - MXP flying economy. Arrived in MXP at 11:45 pm. Subway and shuttle buses were all closed. I took a taxi from Malpensa to Mandarin Oriental Milan. It cost me $180 euro. Never again! Found out from the YYZ AC Concierge team that I had flown in J or 100K, they would've arrange a pickup for me in MXP for the fraction of the price.

You guys are with my wife and kids. They all think I'm crazy taking three round trips to HKG.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I've done more turnarounds to/from HKG, TPE, ICN, etc. than I would care to admit.

On these trips, the concierges look at me funny, the SDs will look at me funny (if I tell them) and my spouse always looks at me funny. But I'm based in YVR so this is easy peasy (did I mention I only do these in J?).

Non-stop or not, this is a whole other thing out of YYZ or YUL as many of you hard core MR folks know through first hand experience.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
(did I mention I only do these in J?).
The key to a happier mileage run . . .
canopus27 and Bohemian1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.