Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What happened to Globe and Mail newspapers in domestic MLL (and perhaps flights)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to Globe and Mail newspapers in domestic MLL (and perhaps flights)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I have been noticing fewer and fewer Globe and Mail newspapers (or sometimes not at all) in the domestic MLL which normally carry them?

Maybe fewer Globe and Mail newspapers in business class of flights?

What has happened with AC's subscription to this newspaper?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have been noticing fewer and fewer Globe and Mail newspapers (or sometimes not at all) in the domestic MLL which normally carry them?

I assure you that they are still in the Dom MLLs. Maybe not so much YVR Dom.
I can also can assure you that I have been receiving G&M on flights.

Also G&M are not carried on Mondays.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

There were stacks of them in the YVR International on Monday, so only one data point.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
G&M is quite popular amongst pax. If you do an afternoon or evening fight out, chances are you will no longer see them in the MLLs.

But in the morning, there are stacks and stacks.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
In the YOW lounge - different times of the day for the last few weeks - no G and M.
In the YUL domestic lounge yesterday at 5 pm - no G and M (but I can not remember if G and M is carried in YUL lounges).
in domestic YYZ lounge in the afternoon or evening on several occasions for last several weeks - no G and M
In the domestic YVR lounge on arrival around 9:30 pm last night - only stacks of Vancouver Sun seen.

In the above lounges (I can not remember if the YUL lounge carries this newspaper or not), at the times I quoted above, I would see G and M at those times on a predictable regular basis, 3 or more months ago.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:57 pm

The aim is to eventually go paperless therefore avalable on the press reader app in the lounges and on flights courtesy of ac ,best thing ever but you will need a tablet
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the YOW lounge - different times of the day for the last few weeks - no G and M.
In the YUL domestic lounge yesterday at 5 pm - no G and M (but I can not remember if G and M is carried in YUL lounges).
in domestic YYZ lounge in the afternoon or evening on several occasions for last several weeks - no G and M
In the domestic YVR lounge on arrival around 9:30 pm last night - only stacks of Vancouver Sun seen.

In the above lounges (I can not remember if the YUL lounge carries this newspaper or not), at the times I quoted above, I would see G and M at those times on a predictable regular basis, 3 or more months ago.
Like I said, they are carried the MLLs and go quickly.

i got G&Ms this past week at YUL Dom MLL, YYZ Dom MLL, YYC Dom MLL, and YVR Dom MLL (it's hard for me to get one there because I am often there in the afternoon).

i have not noticed any difference from say, two years ago. It was the same deal where they would all be gone by afternoon/evening,
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I assure you that they are still in the Dom MLLs. Maybe not so much YVR Dom.
I can also can assure you that I have been receiving G&M on flights.

Also G&M are not carried on Mondays.
What do you mean G and M not carried on Mondays? The newspaper is published on Mondays.
So I will be flying YVR to YOW this coming Monday. So I will not see this newspaper at all in either lounge? What about the newspaper in the business class cabin of the flight?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

What do you mean G and M not carried on Mondays? The newspaper is published on Mondays.
So I will be flying YVR to YOW this coming Monday. So I will not see this newspaper at all in either lounge? What about the newspaper in the business class cabin of the flight?
My data point from Monday morning on AC 101 to YVR: No newspapers at all onboard
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless things have changed, I was advised by many staff in the recent past that they, for some odd reason, did not carry G&M on Mondays. (It might have been another day but IIRC I was told it was Mondays). If that has changed, then it is certainly welcome! Please let us know if you get a G&M on Monday. I haven't paid attention to whether they carried it on Mondays recently, but now that you've brought it up, I'm curious to know. I will be flying Monday as well, but later in the day, so I'll see if I luck out.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Unless things have changed, I was advised by many staff in the recent past that they, for some odd reason, did not carry G&M on Mondays. (It might have been another day but IIRC I was told it was Mondays). If that has changed, then it is certainly welcome! Please let us know if you get a G&M on Monday. I haven't paid attention to whether they carried it on Mondays recently, but now that you've brought it up, I'm curious to know. I will be flying Monday as well, but later in the day, so I'll see if I luck out.
The National Post does not publish on Mondays - maybe that's what they're referring to?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
The National Post does not publish on Mondays - maybe that's what they're referring to?
Very possible, although I did specifically ask about G&M.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fin 645
National Post and G and M do not publish on Sundays - Toronto Star is main major Canadian Enslish speaking newspaper which publishes on Sunday.

I believe National Post (and all its city subsidiaries such as Ottawa Citizen and Vancouver Sun) and G and M do publish on Mondays.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:57 am
Suspended

National Post and G and M do not publish on Sundays - Toronto Star is main major Canadian Enslish speaking newspaper which publishes on Sunday.

I believe National Post (and all its city subsidiaries such as Ottawa Citizen and Vancouver Sun) and G and M do publish on Mondays.
@FlyerGoldII

The National Post stopped publishing a Monday edition in July 2017. While many people still like to read a print edition, some airlines stopped offering print publications long before AC did, either onboard or in lounges.

As for digital versions, i recall posting screen shots of the vast number of newspapers and magazines that SQ offers in their e-library, available for download from their app prior to flights. LX has a smaller selection. AC eventually started offering Press Reader but still lags behind others for whatever reasons.

I still see some airline and contract lounges offering newspapers, but I find that AC’s print offerings overall have diminished in quantity and quality. It is what it is.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Out of YEG, for some reason, I thought there was only The Journal and The National Post (both in-lounge and onboard).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.