FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   What happened to Globe and Mail newspapers in domestic MLL (and perhaps flights)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1995622-what-happened-globe-mail-newspapers-domestic-mll-perhaps-flights.html)

yyznomad Nov 29, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31787904)
Is anyone else as amazed as I am that people still 1) read actual paper and 2) read news that happened yesterday?

Each day, I am amazed at myself for surviving yesterday.

How dare we read paper!

WoodlandCreature Nov 29, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31787904)
Is anyone else as amazed as I am that people still 1) read actual paper and 2) read news that happened yesterday?

No. Many people are aware of the benefits of a paper-based user interface, and many realize that news and current awareness, including opinion pieces (and comics and the cryptic crossword), do not expire at midnight.

yyznomad Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature (Post 31787922)
No. Many people are aware of the benefits of a paper-based user interface, and many realize that news and current awareness, including opinion pieces (and comics and the cryptic crossword), do not expire at midnight.

Crap. Now you tell me! I always rush to get my G&M sudoku completed before midnight, even if it takes me 15 hours. But luckily sometimes it takes a few mins.

jaysona Nov 29, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 31741684)
I have been noticing fewer and fewer Globe and Mail newspapers (or sometimes not at all) in the domestic MLL which normally carry them?

Maybe fewer Globe and Mail newspapers in business class of flights?

What has happened with AC's subscription to this newspaper?

What is this "newspaper" thing you speak of? :confused::confused:

Sean Peever Nov 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature (Post 31787922)

It's just so damn outdated by the time you get it. Even the opinion pieces and other things you mention where posted online the day before. Reading a paper is actually the exact opposite of "news" or "current awareness". News, of course, stands for newly received - something that news print no longer is (frankly I don't think it's even right to call it a newspaper anymore with current publications being almost instantly online), if you understand where the name news came from, it actually no longer makes sense to call it a newspaper, and it's not current awareness either - it's awareness of what happened yesterday.

kenlor Nov 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk (Post 31775639)
Data point:

Last Saturday I was in the YEG MLL at 19:30 and there were at least 10 G&Ms available.

Possibly Related Data Point: In YEG MLL, I have often seen staff refolding previously read newspapers, checking they are complete and in good condition , and putting them back on the stacks.

In other MLLs, I have observed staff toss out any/every newspaper that has been removed from the stack, no matter how pristine it may be.

acysb87 Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am

I find it easier reading printed copies of news,texts….easier and less tiresome(eyes) than reading off a screen or hand held device.

yyznomad Nov 30, 2019 11:11 am

Data point:

YVR Dom MLL

this morning there were a couple of stacks of G&M

Sean Peever Dec 1, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 31790522)
Data point:

YVR Dom MLL

this morning there were a couple of stacks of G&M

I didn't see any in the AC Cafe in YYZ this morning, did you?

yyznomad Dec 1, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31792478)
I didn't see any in the AC Cafe in YYZ this morning, did you?

Nope. Therefore G&M doesn't exist!

added: oh gosh darn it peever, you got me again! The cafe isn't a MLL! Duh! And double duh: airplanes aren't an MLL!

Sean Peever Dec 1, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 31793567)
Nope. Therefore G&M doesn't exist!

added: oh gosh darn it peever, you got me again! The cafe isn't a MLL! Duh! And double duh: airplanes aren't an MLL!

lol!! Good randomly seeing you though.

yyznomad Dec 5, 2019 11:23 am

Data point:

YYZ Dom MLL Tuesday morning - stacks of G&M

24left Dec 5, 2019 12:37 pm

And a reminder of this thread and OP from June 2018

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ewspapers.html

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 29904581)
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...rd-newspapers/

Air Canada, confirms it is eyeing an end date for the distribution of newspapers, with company VP, products Andrew Yiu telling Runway Girl Network that the carrier boards a lot of newspapers “but is getting a lot of wastage because customers have already read it when they wake up” or accessed news via their smart phone or tablet. Even in the lounges, people are using their devices and “getting away from doing physical newspapers”. He believes the carrier will be able to remove paper newspapers from aircraft before the end of 2019.

Also @ACYYZ/SD posted this upthread

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 31743378)
Changing habits. Walked from front to back on a full 787-9 yesterday with the limited stack of newspapers (both aisles) and couldn't deplete the supply.

Guessing that e-Journals a la LX/OS/LH are in the works.

And he posted this on June 25, 2018 in the other thread linked above

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 29905517)
Simply because provisioning inventories have been reduced to reflect lack of demand. Gave out 5 Canadian newspapers in J/PY on last nights flight.

yyznomad Dec 5, 2019 12:40 pm

Data point:

Stacks of G&M handed out on AC107 on Tuesday.

yyznomad Dec 5, 2019 11:06 pm

Data point:

On Tuesday, G&M was handed out on AC214.