Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada

Thanks for any insight on this.

I happened upon a gate upgrade to business class on Air Canada from Vancouver to Sydney, AU. While I was super stoked, I also couldn't figure out why I had received an upgrade out of economy. Business class was only 80% full when I was in there, so my upgrade looked to have been for a specific reason.

I have a couple of theories, but would love to know the culprit so I can attempt upgrades again in the future:

- This ticket was booked on a bereavement fare, which I understand to be a fully flexible ticket
- I didn't specify a meal type
- I was traveling alone
- I have just hit Aeroplan 25k/Star Alliance Silver status at 26,000 points.

Another couple of clarifications:
- This was a lay-flat business class seat (not Premium economy - Row 3)
- Economy was full
- Flight was already late arriving from Toronto

Ok, thanks again! :-)

Last edited by Erin Dybvig; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:05 am Reason: Edited Status names for clarification
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:02 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by Erin Dybvig
Thanks for any insight on this.

I happened upon a gate upgrade to business class on Air Canada from Vancouver to Sydney, AU. While I was super stoked, I also couldn't figure out why I had received an upgrade out of economy. Business class was only 80% full when I was in there, so my upgrade looked to have been for a specific reason.

I have a couple of theories, but would love to know the culprit so I can attempt upgrades again in the future:

- This ticket was booked on a bereavement fare, which I understand to be a fully flexible ticket
- I didn't specify a meal type
- I was traveling alone
- I have just hit Aeroplan Silver status at 26,000 points

Ok, thanks again! :-)
Perhaps they had to free up a seat in economy. Congrats, that's a huge op-up. Now go buy a lotto ticket and don't expect it to ever happen again
Dolphin2 and Symmetre like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When you say Aeroplan Silver, you actually mean Aeroplan Silver, or do you mean Altitude Prestige 25K?

I only ask because the former is completely irrelevant to flight operations.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
The usual scenario is economy is oversold so they needed to bump someone up to business to make room for all the economy passengers. If they didn't want to break up a family and you were in a seat that would otherwise allow them to sit together then it's easier to move a single person. They also look at things like fare class and check in time, as well as status. Sometimes it's just random and you were an easy person to move.

Be grateful when it happens, and never expect it to happen. In 20 years of flying I have only had it happen once on AC and once from economy to premium economy on BA. Both times I was a single traveller.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
I’d suggest you were likely the highest economy fare (as you indicated) and you got an operational upgrade as they were oversold in economy. Operational upgrades generally follow some sort of formula that considers both status and class of fare or fare paid.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
If a bereavement fare is full fare economy (Y), then you’d likely be a good candidate for an operational upgrade. That can be for any number of reasons.

How was the flight?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Would a bereavement* fare - normally sold at a discount - be classed as Full Y?

I'd caution against the "lottery ticket" type comments, as I've been upgraded at the airport (LHR-YYC, YVR-SYD, EWR-YVR and YVR-YOW) without asking or using any e-upgrade or its predecessors. I wish I could claim stories of applying devastating charm or possessing elevated status, but neither of those were true. They were all genuine surprises at the time, and even today I have no idea why they happened. Except perhaps the flight to Ottawa - I think I know how that transpired.

Anyway, I hope the OP enjoyed the increased comfort on a long flight, especially given the reasons for travel.

*hint?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:06 pm

Does a "Y" bereavement fare trump PY fares for an opup to J?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tracon
Does a "Y" bereavement fare trump PY fares for an opup to J?
Not supposed to.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why do you want to know.. just hoped you enjoyed it.. and sorry for your loss
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Be grateful when it happens, and never expect it to happen. In 20 years of flying I have only had it happen once on AC and once from economy to premium economy on BA. Both times I was a single traveller.
Wow. I've had many operational upgrades on BA between YYZ and LHR (both directions). Booked in PY I was almost always guaranteed an upgrade to J. I think I was batting 75% of the time as a BA Silver. Also many upgrades from Y to PY and even J. I hear this is (or was) one of BA's best routes for op-ups due to the heavy overbooking of Y for travellers headed to India. On AC I've had one trans-Atlantic op-up from PY to J. Nearly always flying AC J these days, and when I do fly Y I tend to use my e-upgrade credits, so no idea what the op-up rate on AC would be as an SE100K. I suppose a lot depends on the route and fare class.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Are you sure you were upgraded from Economy to Business? Is it possible you were upgraded to Premium Economy, and have mistaken that for Business?
That would make more sense.
Were you in a larger seat, or a flat bed pod?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Would not elite status trump fare paid? Surely there'd be E50K/E75K/E100K elites on such a flight who'd have greater priority for an opup? And as others have speculated, was it actually from economy to business, or economy to premium economy? It would seem PE>J would be a more normal opup, then move someone in Y>PE.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Lost in the cacophony of attempts to apply arcane and official Rules and Procedures is the notion that sometimes unexpected stuff just...happens. Even good stuff like random upgrades. Even at Air Canada.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Lost in the cacophony of attempts to apply arcane and official Rules and Procedures is the notion that sometimes unexpected stuff just...happens. Even good stuff like random upgrades. Even at Air Canada.
That's just crazy talk
Dolphin2, wrp96, run&fly and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.