Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada & Skyroam Solis Global WiFi Hotspot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Interesting ad on the front page of AC's website

Links to

https://www.skyroam.com/ca/aircanada...covertext|caen

Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Pretty cool. Wish I could just pop the sim into my laptop. Maybe I should cancel my home fiber and grab this.
batman3 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I must be missing something: why not just use your phone as a hotspot? I don’t see much savings here unless you exceed 20 GB a month and are traveling most days. And it is just one more device to cart around.
YYT82 and ecc like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by ridefar
I must be missing something: why not just use your phone as a hotspot? I don’t see much savings here unless you exceed 20 GB a month and are traveling most days. And it is just one more device to cart around.
The only saving comes when you travel for more than 11 days out of every month. However, for anyone travelling for that length of time to one or two specific locations regularly, one would have gotten a lower rate roaming plan or a local SIM card.
ecc likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
I think this is a great service. No SIM cards needed and no carrier plans to worry about. Travel to any country you want. Most people don't know that the average smartphone data plan does not work as a hotspot when traveling internationally. Generally, the wireless carrier blocks the hotspot feature when roaming overseas. Just saying...
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by batman3
I think this is a great service. No SIM cards needed and no carrier plans to worry about. Travel to any country you want. Most people don't know that the average smartphone data plan does not work as a hotspot when traveling internationally. Generally, the wireless carrier blocks the hotspot feature when roaming overseas. Just saying...
True this.

The carrier entirely controls the ability to tether and will often (but not always) restrict that capability when roaming. Restricting that can be based on something as crude as filtering of the actual MSISDN (effectively your phone number) or as sophisticated as something called an Entitlements Server (used by Apple and other larger players).

The same applies to some of the so-called "Travel SIMs" which generally just wholesale data from large global Mobile Network Operators.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:39 am

If your device supports eSIM, try these guys https://www.airalo.com/
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
If your device supports eSIM, try these guys https://www.airalo.com/
Damn that looks nice. If I hadn't switched to Fi recently, I'd probably do that instead.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:53 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Damn that looks nice. If I hadn't switched to Fi recently, I'd probably do that instead.
Beware.

While there are good deals to be had, some of these eSIM app providers are running on really crappy networks. Homework is required if you don't want to get stuck with effectively 3G rates when you get there.

The best thing to do is find the region/country you want and see if they tell you what the carrier network is that they use. If it's something you've never heard of, chances are it's really spotty and/or throttled. And customer service for these data-only eSIM providers can be virtually non-existent.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:38 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I had a the last skyroam device when it was 3G. It didn’t work out, even though it said unlimited, the acceptable use policy limited use to something ridiculously low like 500mb/day (I’m not suggesting this is still the case).

the other issue is that cell data is routed through the home country of the underlying carrier. For FI it was T-Mobile in the US, for keepgo it was the UK, and for skyroam it was China. It made for terrible ping times outside of Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.