Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Being Placed at the Back of the (air)bus

Old Nov 1, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Hey AC Community,

Yesterday I booked an érrorPlan reward flight from YZR > YSJ > YXY which consists of 8 flight segments. Half of the segments are on prop style planes like the DHs whilst the other 4 segments consisted of narrow and wide body jets like the A330, A320 and 787. Whilst selecting seats I noticed an interesting pattern emerge: for the prop style planes I would always get put at the back of the (air)bus whilst for the jets I would be randomly placed.

Here are the seats I was assigned on the prop flights by default:

Here are the seats I was assigned on the jets

Is there any rhyme or reason as to why AC puts its passengers at the back of the (air)bus?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
W & B ?
Since you are on a AE ticket you are ballast.
Fortunately WB not needed on the jets.
Sorry, I have been on a con call for 2.5hrs and that's the best I can do.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
W & B ?
Every turboprop I've flown that had a relatively light load has required a bunch of people to move backward.

If they're actually smart enough to do this at booking by default, then "props" to them.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: air miles
Does weight and balance matter more on props?

Weight towards the rear of the plane would induce a nose up attitude in the plane, I assume, and so maybe that's why?
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
W & B ?
Since you are on a AE ticket you are ballast.
Fortunately WB not needed on the jets.
Sorry, I have been on a con call for 2.5hrs and that's the best I can do.
Interesting, might be right.

Looked back to the Aeroplan tickets when @yyznomad and I went to YYJ. On the original booking, the auto-seat assignment for AC 8083 YVR-YYJ and AC 8062 YYJ-YVR were 20D in both directions and the rest of the cabin was empty at that point.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: TK *G
I don’t think AE ticket or not matters. I have two revenue tickets on DH4, one on 014 stock and the other is not. Ended up in 20F for both. And in my profile I specified that I prefer window seat, that may explain why I get 20F while others get 20D.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978 View Post
Does weight and balance matter more on props?

Weight towards the rear of the plane would induce a nose up attitude in the plane, I assume, and so maybe that's why?
Weight and balance does matter on the jets as well.

While on the ground the 737 tail will hit the floor if heavy cargo is the back compartment and the front compartment is empty.

On the Embrear on more than one case I have been in the last row of economy and after the doors are closed been moved up to business cabin. Never certain if that was weight/balance or cabin crew would like to have those seats.

On the Q400 there is a weird cargo compartment at front across from the main passanger door.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Hey AC Community,

Yesterday I booked an érrorPlan reward flight from YZR > YSJ > YXY which consists of 8 flight segments. Half of the segments are on prop style planes like the DHs whilst the other 4 segments consisted of narrow and wide body jets like the A330, A320 and 787. Whilst selecting seats I noticed an interesting pattern emerge: for the prop style planes I would always get put at the back of the (air)bus whilst for the jets I would be randomly placed.

Here are the seats I was assigned on the prop flights by default:

Here are the seats I was assigned on the jets

Is there any rhyme or reason as to why AC puts its passengers at the back of the (air)bus?

Safe Travels,

James
What is interesting is with the Jets it is the first available seat in "C" from the front.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
What is interesting is with the Jets it is the first available seat in "C" from the front.
My guess is there was an "aisle" preference somewhere, and C is the first aisle, and it gave him the first seat in that column.

I was having a discussion at a microdo last night about seat assignments. I upgraded a 2 pax PNR on an empty CR9, and it put us in 1A/2A.

When I have no preference set (or when the system inevitably ignores it), I always get the lowest numbered A seat. If A is full, I get C.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: *G
For as long as I can remember, my seat assignments on reward tickets have always been near or at the back no matter the aircraft. I always assumed it was part of the privilege of using AP.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
I haven’t booked an AE flight on a prop, almost always on a single aisle jet. Almost always I am slam dunked into the last row. I have learned to immediately change seats after booking because the algorithm favours back rows for AE.

Even when I change, occasionally the seats get randomly reassigned, so you have to keep checking.
Old Nov 1, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
I can't say I've noticed this same randomness on jets. My Aeroplan redemptions have always had auto-assigned seats in the first 12 rows, and almost always in the first four.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 2:23 pm

The Q400 can be... Touchy for W&B. The plane is naturally nose heavy. On a full load it rarely matters, however if we're at something like 50-60% that's where the issues begin.

The Q cabin is broken down to 4 cabin zones A through D. Section A are the 3 rows of preferred seats, so the W&B system will do whatever it can to not move people out of here.

The most common move the system requests is B to D. Generally we need people in each pair of seats aft of row 15, but will be dependent on cargo load.

Also if you see us doing what looks like a passenger count, even if the flight is full, we're giving the pilots the number of Male, Female and Children per section, to cover the Balance, and see if any cargo/bags need to be moved to the forward baggage hold.

When checking in, RES will attempt to do a rough W&B pass to minimize the number of moves we need to do onboard.
Old Nov 1, 19, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by songsc View Post
I don’t think AE ticket or not matters. I have two revenue tickets on DH4, one on 014 stock and the other is not. Ended up in 20F for both. And in my profile I specified that I prefer window seat, that may explain why I get 20F while others get 20D.
Hmmmm

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
For as long as I can remember, my seat assignments on reward tickets have always been near or at the back no matter the aircraft. I always assumed it was part of the privilege of using AP.
I only have 1 other data point - my paid Tango !!!!! ticket to YYJ for the 2017 FT Do. Upon booking I got 1F, and then changed it.

As for the privilege of booking economy tickets with Aeroplan....

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I haven’t booked an AE flight on a prop, almost always on a single aisle jet. Almost always I am slam dunked into the last row. I have learned to immediately change seats after booking because the algorithm favours back rows for AE.

Even when I change, occasionally the seats get randomly reassigned, so you have to keep checking.
I looked at my more recent Aeroplan ticket to the YYC Do end of September. The system auto-assigned me 30C. Most of the cabin was empty or unassigned including all of the rows between 12 and the back of the 763.

So who knows, collectively, we have a small number of data points from which we can either make an assumption about Aeroplan auto-seating, or not.
Old Nov 1, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Weight and balance does matter on the jets as well.
Indeed. I've been op-upped numerous times on an E175, and occasionally an E190, for W&B -- or what I was told was W&B anyway. I was even on a lightly loaded AC888 (an 767) one time a few years ago when they moved people backwards in the aircraft for W&B because of some cargo they were carrying in the forward compartment. This was done after boarding.

Different aircraft have different COG issues, and it is certainly more of an issue on the Dash-8s, so the pattern posted by the OP makes sense.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: