Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Offloading #2s in AC Lavs - Time Limits & Crew Worries

Question: Offloading #2s in AC Lavs - Time Limits & Crew Worries

Old Oct 29, 19, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Offloading #2s in AC Lavs - Time Limits & Crew Worries

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what is AC's general policy when it comes to lab usage and at what point they have to intervene?

I am asking because one time I was in a lab changing, and an FA started banging on the door asking if I was OK.

It does create a little bit of anxiety now when I am trying to take a #2 because I constantly feel like I am under pressure, and that the crew is checking out how long I take before they feel like they have to intervene and (potentially?) force the door to see if I am OK.

Does anyone know if there's a general guideline that AC crew must follow with regards to how long a lav is used for?

Thank you.
SpruceFrayer
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This has happened to me a few times, especially nearing the "in preparation for landing" announcements on AC TATLs.

I typically time my prelanding lab use such that I get up and use the lav at the start of descent, so in the 350FL range.

Once in awhile I would do my "business" (sometimes I would need to double or triple or courtesy flush) and then freshen up like flossing and brushing my teeth. I would also use mouthwash (pre Signature Service, so I would have my own mini hotel bottle of mouthwash). I would then apply moisturizer to my face and hands.

Each time, it's around the 20-minute mark where someone would knock on the labatory door. Most of the time it's an FA checking up on me and I would have to yell back at them advising that all is good. Once in awhile, it will be another pax who really has to go.

In general though, I think it is a YMMV thing.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:29 am

It's easier to be inconspicuous with the larger number of lavs in Y.
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The Lav Check that you refer to you is normally brought to our attention by another Customer. It's not as though somebody has never fallen ill (or worse) in a lavatory.
Just take it as a little concern. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:05 am

i'm gonna say 15 mins is a good time to do a lavatory welfare check..... dont want an incident similar to this (or any underlying medical causes)

https://www.thestate.com/news/nation...e69293787.html
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It could also be that someone has gotten stuck and is unable to open the door due to a busted lock.

And yes I'm aware that you'd have to be pretty frail to not be able to force open an airplane lav door. I feel pretty frail after some AC flights.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:46 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
It could also be that someone has gotten stuck and is unable to open the door due to a busted lock.

And yes I'm aware that you'd have to be pretty frail to not be able to force open an airplane lav door. I feel pretty frail after some AC flights.
I thought that this only happens in the cafè
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Each time, it's around the 20-minute mark where someone would knock on the labatory door. Most of the time it's an FA checking up on me and I would have to yell back at them advising that all is good. Once in awhile, it will be another pax who really has to go.

In general though, I think it is a YMMV thing.
20 minutes in an airplane lavatory? My goal is to get out of that place as fast as possible. I really think 20 minutes is overdoing it and would cause stress levels to rise in passengers tapping their toes to use the lav, if ya know what I mean. If 3 people took 20 minutes, that's one hour for 3 people.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
The Lav Check that you refer to you is normally brought to our attention by another Customer. It's not as though somebody has never fallen ill (or worse) in a lavatory.
Thank you. This was actually more useful than expected.

Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
20 minutes in an airplane lavatory? My goal is to get out of that place as fast as possible. I really think 20 minutes is overdoing it and would cause stress levels to rise in passengers tapping their toes to use the lav, if ya know what I mean. If 3 people took 20 minutes, that's one hour for 3 people.
I know, but sometimes I have take well in excess of 10-15m to fully finish offloads. Quick burts just end up making me go back and.forth from seat to lav, which may be more problematic than 1 visit.

I don't think I'm the only one, but constipation is actually a serious issue for me on LH/ULH flights, so to be able to properly use the lav and take my time is an important part of the experience.

And yeah, at 3 pax/hour, it makes Y lav usage an even more stressful experience on AC HD configs.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: air miles
Just tell them you were looking for some extra legroom
SparseFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
About two months ago I was on a Alaska flight (737) where a passenger went to one of the back lav and ended up passing away. I was seated near the front and other than a weird PA announcement asking for a doctor midway through did not know what was going on until we landed.

The concern is appreciated.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum
yyznomad
Lavish reply! A little laborious to read, but right to the point.
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:02 am

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
There is too much information in this thread.
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
This isn’t my favourite thread ever but it is #2.
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
15 minutes to take a dump? Lol apply a bit more force imo.
WesternCDN and tshirt like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: