FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

canadiancow Nov 16, 19 8:37 am

The check-in is the same as the old app for now.

tcook052 Nov 16, 19 8:46 am

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...870981886.html

MONTREAL, Nov. 15, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada has launched a next generation Air Canada mobile app, now available for download on iOS and Android. Designed with customers at the center, the new app features an intuitive layout supported by the latest technologies, to deliver faster, more reliable performance.

"Air Canada is focused on making travel easier and more comfortable for everyone, particularly through the use of the latest technologies. Beyond the new features launching today, such as interactive airport maps with turn-by-turn directions for travellers, the new app provides the foundation necessary for future developments, most notably the launch of our new Loyalty program in 2020," said Mark Nasr, Vice President, Loyalty and eCommerce at Air Canada. "The app was designed and built entirely in Canada, in our Digital labs enabled by the Air Canada technology team."

From booking to boarding with one hand, the Air Canada mobile app is the ultimate travel assistant. It was developed after extensive consultation with customers and employees around the world, including the more than 18,000 flyers who participated in the Beta program.

Among its many features, in a first for a Canadian airline, the new app will display interactive airport maps of Toronto Pearson International Airport, Montreal Trudeau International Airport, and Vancouver International Airport. These detailed indoor maps will guide customers through flight connections, and help customers find gates, restaurants, restrooms, and the closest Air Canada lounge, along with estimated walking times. Other notable features include real-time upgrade/standby lists, inbound flight tracking, downloadable boarding passes and automatic flight notifications. The app also supports Aeroplan profile sign-in with expedited ticket purchase and check-in.

Updates to the app will rollout regularly, including releases that will work seamlessly with Aeroplan loyalty accounts, among other improvements.

lallied Nov 16, 19 9:24 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ (Post 31743100)
Just had to download 5.0.1. All 5 upcoming trips did not load initially despite adding my Aeroplan ID and password. Closed the app and logged back in triggered 3 of the flights to load. Like WaytoomuchEurope , my Aeroplan flights had to be manually added via the PNR.

Disappointed to have the Seat Preview option removed from this version.

Have to check-in to a flight in 70mins. Will see how that experience is.

its horrible.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 16, 19 9:52 am

Update:

1) As canadiancow indicated, the mobile check-in process is the same as the old app

2) The boarding pass shows SE with a black circle and Star Alliance Gold with a gold circle but no idea why those icons are there. I assume it is to indicate status with AC and amongst the Star Alliance network.

3) Still no seat preview after check-in

4) On a bright note, my flight is 2/12 in J and both parties have checked-in.

YWG-RO Nov 16, 19 6:58 pm

This new app is pretty pathetic.

musicmtl Nov 16, 19 7:27 pm

I'd really like to see the seat preview return. And, we also need the boarding passes to be more directly accessible. It feels like everything is all over the place. My flights, separate from flight status, separate from boarding pass. They should all be combined. The best word I can use to describe it is the French éparpillée.

flyquiet Nov 16, 19 7:28 pm

I can't find how to tell the app to add the "DEAF" tag to the Remarks so I can't use the app unless I want the whole rigamarole of asking the twitter team to fix it.

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 16, 19 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31744766)
I can't find how to tell the app to add the "DEAF" tag to the Remarks so I can't use the app unless I want the whole rigamarole of asking the twitter team to fix it.

That's good feedback for them and you should let them know. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not their only hearing impaired customer.

flyquiet Nov 16, 19 8:14 pm

I have indeed passed the comment on already. It would surely apply to requests for mobility accommodations and other disabilities as well.
(Don't want to derail the thread but a gentle observation that "hearing impaired" is what others call us, not what we call ourselves. Some are hard of hearing, or identify as people with hearing loss, and others are deaf or deafened, and the difference among us is almost as great as the difference between us and the rest of you.)

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 17, 19 1:46 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31744869)
I have indeed passed the comment on already. It would surely apply to requests for mobility accommodations and other disabilities as well.
(Don't want to derail the thread but a gentle observation that "hearing impaired" is what others call us, not what we call ourselves. Some are hard of hearing, or identify as people with hearing loss, and others are deaf or deafened, and the difference among us is almost as great as the difference between us and the rest of you.)

I appreciate being set straight, and with gentleness no less.

Here's hoping they quickly address your needs in the app.

codfather Nov 17, 19 1:57 am

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31745388)
I appreciate being set straight, and with gentleness no less.

Here's hoping they quickly address your needs in the app.

I second that! I am sure they will be quite accommodating, but it is the airport GAs that (sometimes) aren't as helpful with accommodations like this.

Late (or is it early now) posting for me here, I couldn't fall asleep so just sitting here doing work/going on FT while waiting for my morning flight.

I think I may be an insomniac...

Smiley90 Nov 17, 19 2:00 am

Logging in with my Aeroplan account did definitely NOT bring all my bookings back. Sigh. To re-add them all manually one by one, ugh.

Also severely disappointed at the lack of seatmap/seat selection. Such a basic feature that has to be there.

codfather Nov 17, 19 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 31745406)
Logging in with my Aeroplan account did definitely NOT bring all my bookings back. Sigh. To re-add them all manually one by one, ugh.

Also severely disappointed at the lack of seatmap/seat selection. Such a basic feature that has to be there.

I was also very surprised by the lack of a seat map...

Overall, I really like the new app, but it does seem to be missing a lot of the detail that the old app had. Like a lot...

42000ft Nov 17, 19 2:51 am

The aesthetic of the new app is nice, sleek and modern. But I can't believe you can't manage/request eUpgrades in their own app still....

YYT82 Nov 17, 19 3:50 am

I really HATE this new AC app. It is excruciatingly slow.

I am debating whether to uninstall it and just use the website.