Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: codfather

Print Wikipost

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That's just weird.

Or maybe you get a seat in each cabin to flit between?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
PY Flexible booked into a narrow body Economy Cabin. Imagine the disappointment of the unfortunate passenger!
Most filed fares are smarter than this, but a general common feature of PY fares is that they will book into B on segments with no PY available. In theory there's no reason why they COULDN'T sell you one on a single segment with either no PY cabin or no space in the applicable fare class. But they try not to, because it makes no sense.

Does the website do the the same thing?

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That's just weird.

Or maybe you get a seat in each cabin to flit between?
Oh, that reminds me of another post I need to make.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 22, 2022 at 12:31 pm Reason: Remove large quoted images
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Most filed fares are smarter than this, but a general common feature of PY fares is that they will book into B on segments with no PY available. In theory there's no reason why they COULDN'T sell you one on a single segment with either no PY cabin or no space in the applicable fare class. But they try not to, because it makes no sense.

Does the website do the the same thing?
The website version should be fine. If there is no PY, there is no link to it.

In the app, it is quite confusing. You can get trapped in two ways. One is when you check the availability under Premium Economy tab, these mixed cabin results will pop up as in my screen shot. The other is when you select an economy or business cabin and slide the screen left or right to view all various ticket types, these mixed cabin (aka Economy B) PY options will also be among your choices. I feel the latter to be extremely misleading. If you are not experienced, you may easily fall for it, especially sometimes these PY tickets could be cheaper than the higher Economy tickets.

Pretty sure this is a bug. Not sure whether it is widespread or just limited to a few of us.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So, codeshares definitely aren't functioning great in the app. In addition to the flight status issue that I mentioned upthread, check-in etc was a bit funky.

In the trips list, the blue check-in button does show up at the appropriate time. But once you check in, it doesn't go away like it does on a normal AC-marketed flight.

The home screen will also continue to tell you the flight is open for check-in.

For a while, the BP wasn't showing up in the list of BPs despite app restart/refresh etc. Although for some reason that seems to have fixed itself.

I also had a weird experience with cancelling check-in. I tried to modify the booking through the UA website, and it wouldn't let me. I realized it was probably because I was already checked in, so I used the AC app to cancel check-in. But when I went to check back in, it told me I was checked in and offered me my BP as soon as I hit the blue button, without making me go through any of the steps, as though it had never checked me out. And the BP never went away after cancelling check-in like it usually does. I asked a concierge to check whether my check-in had ever been cancelled, but they were unable to verify (surely DCS should have an audit trail for this, even if not accessible to concierge?). It's possible the error when I initially tried to make the change at UA was unrelated to my being checked in, and that my attempting to cancel check-in had no effect - whatever error I encountered may have resolved itself independently of that. But I did try several times unsuccessfully, on different platforms, to modify the booking with UA, and it worked immediately after I cancelled the check-in, so that suggests to me there's a decent chance that cancelling the check-in did something.

I'm not sure how much of this is the new (2019) app vs Amadeus DCS. I used to frequently fly on UA codeshares of AC flights, mostly to IAH/EWR on the way to LatAm, and I don't ever remember having issues like this. But all of those experiences were 2019 and prior with both the old app and RES III.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:10 pm

I keep getting seemingly random notifications to do OLCI for flights I've never booked. Errors out if I click the notification (iOS).

Last week, it was LGA. Today is was YEG. Ain't no way I'd ever go to YEG in anything other than Summer. And they can't make me!

Odd bug though.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I keep getting seemingly random notifications to do OLCI for flights I've never booked. Errors out if I click the notification (iOS).

Last week, it was LGA. Today is was YEG. Ain't no way I'd ever go to YEG in anything other than Summer. And they can't make me!

Odd bug though.
I had the same thing other day for MBJ
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:41 pm

The mobile BPs still mention a "black" credit card, whereas it's been renamed to "premium" everywhere else.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
App question...

Is there a way to get the App to show your status - i.e. become a virtual card?

It seems I was the first ever AC passenger that a Virgin Australia person had ever had to deal with at their Sydney lounge. i showed them my SE card and they pointed out that it had expired Dec 31 last year. I just assumed i could pull up my status on the app, but couldn't find it so had to fire up my laptop and show her that.

Hoping that i'm just daft and could find something that should be staring me in the face.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:49 am

It's pretty prominent at the top of the Aeroplan tab
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty prominent at the top of the Aeroplan tab
Thanks.

For some reason it wasn't showing there earlier today when I first logged in. (No idea why it was even asking me to log in).
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:43 pm

I got an update on Android to 5.28 today.

It was a substantial size increase over 5.27.

Using App Inspector (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ubqsoft.sec01), it seems like there's a new libface_detector_v2_jni.so library.

Curious.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:17 pm

I got an update on Android to 5.28 today.

It was a substantial size increase over 5.27.

Using App Inspector (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ubqsoft.sec01), it seems like there's a new libface_detector_v2_jni.so library.

Curious.

iOS app updated to 5.28. I checked, and Face ID login is supported. No idea if that was a recent add or not.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:24 pm

If this were a general auth thing to get into the app, they would not have had to add a special library.

I wonder if it will be tied to the biometric boarding they've experimented with. I can't imagine much else you'd need a face photo for.

Maybe some kind of doc check like UA has, but actually verifying that it's you?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:35 pm

I wonder if it will be tied to the biometric boarding they've experimented with. I can't imagine much else you'd need a face photo for.

Maybe some kind of doc check like UA has, but actually verifying that it's you?
That would be interesting.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I now have to do the ridiculous multi-factor authentication to access anything on the app.

Any ideas on how to disable it (it also magically appears on my desktop but that's a bit less annoying).

I never changed my settings to require MFA.

Oh never mind... found that AC seems to have default enabled MFA in my settings. Chucked that gremlin overboard.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 3, 2022 at 4:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.