FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

ridefar Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am

Nor only did my Aeroplan number not bring up all my bookings, but the app lost them all when I put my phone in airplane mode. And wouldn’t get any back until I had connectivity. And AC wifi does not provide connectivity for free with the new app (I thought it did with the old) at least not on international flights.

TechnoTourist Nov 17, 2019 5:44 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 31745682)
AC wifi does not provide connectivity for free with the new app (I thought it did with the old) at least not on international flights.

I noticed the same on a domestic flight. The old app definitely worked with free AC wifi

24left Nov 17, 2019 7:16 am

I was sure I read in a post that the app was not yet final, that other features would be added in time.

I agree with the posters above. The AC website worked for free when wifi was working on several of my international flights. It's often a feature with many airlines. IMHO, the app should work this way as well.

Also, when I first downloaded the new app, I added one trip to see how things worked. I found the app was not intuitive and required multiple clicks to view the flight info etc. In the old app, all flights on the entire PNR appeared on the same page and you could scroll down. Why would I want to click 2, 4 or more times for each trip?

Then I decided to sign into Aeroplan and yes, it loaded the various trips. However, once signed out, all of the trips disappeared from view. Yet, before signing in, when I added a PNR manually, the trip I had loaded was always available.

Did the app team design this app so you always have to be signed in to view a trip?

I haven't yet tested other things but if the flow and features I need are not easily viewable and available, I'd just rather use the website on my phone - which in my experiences, has been far better to checking in and getting ALL BPs for a multi-sector trip. This never worked well or at all on the old app.

And to re-iterate, I agree for the need to have the app or at the very least the website, to be available for free with inflight wifi.

yyckerr Nov 17, 2019 7:29 am

I am waiting a bit before passing final judgement as I'm quite curious how it will function once the res system switches over.

lewis_m Nov 17, 2019 7:33 am

Obviously, after Tuesday, some missing features will become available. Why implement something needed for only a few days e.g. Seat preview? The new version release date is aligned with the Amadeus go live.

I ran into check-in issue this morning with the new app. It happened to me once with the beta as well. I couldn't get to the last step and get my BP. Got an error saying check-in has failed. I had to use the mobile version instead and it worked. I can understand missing feature for a few days but something as critical as check-in not working properly is unacceptable.

canadiancow Nov 17, 2019 7:39 am

With respect to the app (not) working on Gogo, I can assure you that not all parts of the old app did either.

I don't have Charles or Burp in front of me right now, but I suspect the app is hitting some domain that hasn't been whitelisted.

Email them feedback. They'll fix it.

ridefar Nov 17, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31746063)
With respect to the app (not) working on Gogo, I can assure you that not all parts of the old app did either.

I don't have Charles or Burp in front of me right now, but I suspect the app is hitting some domain that hasn't been whitelisted.

Email them feedback. They'll fix it.

I did. I figured it was just using different ports than the old app and therefore getting blocked. Either way I am sure they will address it.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 17, 2019 8:12 am

App hasn't updated any flight info in the last 42 mins. Kind of negates the benefit of seeing if your upgrade cleared or when the inbound is going to land if none of that info is available.

canadiancow Nov 17, 2019 8:29 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ (Post 31746135)
App hasn't updated any flight info in the last 42 mins. Kind of negates the benefit of seeing if your upgrade cleared or when the inbound is going to land if none of that info is available.

If you pull up the upgrade list it should fetch the most current data.

Bear in mind upgrades clear 5 minutes after the check-in cutoff.

As for the inbound, are you not able to just click the track inbound option? I've been using it all weekend with no issues.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 17, 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31746175)
If you pull up the upgrade list it should fetch the most current data.

Bear in mind upgrades clear 5 minutes after the check-in cutoff.

As for the inbound, are you not able to just click the track inbound option? I've been using it all weekend with no issues.

Affirm to all of those. The app failed to update for over an hour.

Agosti Nov 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Any chance they'll also bring back the day-and-hour (or -minute if less than one hour) countdown to the next flight after they switch to Amadeus? Now I can only tell my friends "I'm going to Tokyo in 23 days" instead of "I'm going to Tokyo in 23 days 11 hours."
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

The only thing I do like the new app better is that now I can easily check the status of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight.
I briefly tried how far it would allow me to trace back and was stopped at two days before this dinosaur was hit by a fire ball.
Please pardon the giant screenshots.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...394531cd58.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c4b7ad0c2b.jpg

ecc Nov 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Well, joy. I have a fire HD 8 I bought last year that I use as my main device on planes, runs Netflix and Spotify like a charm. Old app ran perfectly fine on it, new app marked as incompatible on play store (and is not in Amazon's store either) so I can't install it. Opening the old app throws out a message to upgrade.:(

TechnoTourist Nov 18, 2019 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 31748449)
Well, joy. I have a fire HD 8 I bought last year that I use as my main device on planes, runs Netflix and Spotify like a charm. Old app ran perfectly fine on it, new app marked as incompatible on play store (and is not in Amazon's store either) so I can't install it. Opening the old app throws out a message to upgrade.:(

Can you side load on a fire? The new app should be up on apkmirror by now.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 18, 2019 5:40 am

Two more buggy items:

1) When I open the app and select an icon, it closes the app. Re-open it and it behaves as expected;

2) The Book feature doesn't bring up any flights. It just spins away searching instead.

traacs Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I put in all upcoming flights 11 in total . When it refreshes only 6 are left
Old app kept all flights even those that I was tracking for my wife .
And yes the old app was much easier to use

PLEASE give us back the old APP or rehire the team that put it together

ecc Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31749144)
Can you side load on a fire? The new app should be up on apkmirror by now.

I could, but the idea of running unsigned binaries from a source I don't trust makes me squeamish.
It's a shame, you'd think they'd make an effort to actively support such a popular and cheap device from a large manufacturer.

canadiancow Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 31751175)
I could, but the idea of running unsigned binaries from a source I don't trust makes me squeamish.
It's a shame, you'd think they'd make an effort to actively support such a popular and cheap device from a large manufacturer.

Is it that popular? At my last company, we officially supported the Amazon ecosystem, until we realized it was a non-trivial amount of effort for something like 1% of our user base, and 0.1% of our Android revenue.

ride red Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm

I somehow ended up downgraded to the beta version of the app. Signing in doesn't bring up any reservations. When I try add them manually, it can't find them.

Total garbage.

Bohemian1 Nov 18, 2019 2:40 pm

At least one version of the app had problems dealing with trailing spaces when manually adding reservations. The app would come back and say that the rez couldn't be found.

I think it was for the name field only, not the PNR. IMHO it's lazy coding not to trim strings but maybe that's been fixed.

canadiancow Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31751300)
At least one version of the app had problems dealing with trailing spaces when manually adding reservations. The app would come back and say that the rez couldn't be found.

I think it was for the name field only, not the PNR. IMHO it's lazy coding not to trim strings but maybe that's been fixed.

I'd argue that's lazy backend coding.

No point doing it twice (Android and iOS) when you can do it once in a manner that's much easier to update.

ecc Nov 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31751202)
Is it that popular? At my last company, we officially supported the Amazon ecosystem, until we realized it was a non-trivial amount of effort for something like 1% of our user base, and 0.1% of our Android revenue.

No idea, but I always assumed that based on price that it was very popular for the bottom end of the market. IIRC it was <C$100, and the only way to root it requires physical tampering. So perfect for a disposable travel device.
But mobile is not my expertise canadiancow so I'll defer to your expertise.

To get back on topic I honestly got so frustrated at that that I uninstalled the app from my phone as well. The one place I really want to use it is the tablet.

Clipper801 Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

The new App does not carry the bookings registered on the old App. Signed into Aeroplan and it does not pull up my existing bookings. I have to re-enter each and everyone.

Seat preview function is eliminated. What was AC thinking?

This new App is total rubbish.

Sopwith Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Utter crap (as usual with AC).

Genetk44 Nov 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31751564)
Utter crap (as usual with AC).

I’ve been using the Air Canada app ever since it first came out....and I’ve constantly been amazed at how Air Canada manages to screw it up at every so-called “upgrade”. But this time they really managed to get to a new low. All the essential functionality and information has been removed, the u/i sucks, and it just looks like crap....the whole thing appears to have been designed by a 5 year old. They couldn’t have ruined it any more than if they were actually trying to.....oh!!!

24left Nov 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Can someone explain how to get rid of this. I was playing around with different features. This was a flight status search. Fine. It was for Nov 18 and irrelevant now. Thanks.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...78d7406239.png

codfather Nov 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Genetk44 (Post 31755039)
I’ve been using the Air Canada app ever since it first came out....and I’ve constantly been amazed at how Air Canada manages to screw it up at every so-called “upgrade”. But this time they really managed to get to a new low. All the essential functionality and information has been removed, the u/i sucks, and it just looks like crap....the whole thing appears to have been designed by a 5 year old. They couldn’t have ruined it any more than if they were actually trying to.....oh!!!

App isn't totally complete yet from what I understand.

Expect many bug fixes and other additions to the app in the coming weeks.

shadowspar Nov 19, 2019 3:37 pm

That's one heck of a downgauge; this flight was scheduled on an A350 when I booked it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...85d4a5de61.png

ridefar Nov 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by shadowspar (Post 31755592)
That's one heck of a downgauge; this flight was scheduled on an A350 when I booked it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...85d4a5de61.png

At the moment it is totally screwing up aircraft on any itinerary with two or more segments. It seems to randomly pick one type from one segment and use it for all segments. But if you go back later you might find a 333 on YQG-YYZ or some such.

Norcanair Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread - mods feel free to move.

Since the Amadeus upgrade came online today, the Aeroplan iPhone app won't log me in, claiming "this version of the app is no longer supported." Click on the update option, but the app store has no new version available

Smiley90 Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Norcanair (Post 31755716)

Since the Amadeus upgrade came online today, the Aeroplan iPhone app won't log me in, claiming "this version of the app is no longer supported." Click on the update option, but the app store has no new version available

the new version is available on Android, so this might just be an iOS Apple thing holding the update up for a couple hours. Try again tomorrow I'd say.

codfather Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Since the Amadeus update, I have noticed the pax info on the app has changed.

Now says,
Johnamr Smith
AC/[email protected]

Only seeing this AC/E on my AE booking, but not on my paid booking.

Does AC/E signify status perhaps? Funny though, as I have Prestige, not Elite.

Yhztraveller Nov 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Genetk44 (Post 31755039)
All the essential functionality and information has been removed, the u/i sucks, and it just looks like crap...!

Ummm, no, the essential functionality and information has not been removed. My reservations are there, I like the Flight Status page, I can check-in and get a boarding pass, track the inbound flight, search the incorrect standby list, search other flights, etc.

It is much better than the old app (granted, anything would be better).

There are bugs, and improvements that need to happen, but I am amazed that they got the app updated and amazed that it was able to handle the migration fairly seamlessly.

codfather Nov 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 31755882)
Ummm, no, the essential functionality and information has not been removed. My reservations are there, I like the Flight Status page, I can check-in and get a boarding pass, track the inbound flight, search the incorrect standby list, search other flights, etc.

There are bugs, and improvements that need to happen, but I am amazed that they got the app updated and amazed that it was able to handle the migration fairly seamlessly.

The best migration to a new system I have ever seen from AC!

And no, I am not comparing it to the disaster that is the Amadeus transition...:D

Genetk44 Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31755168)
App isn't totally complete yet from what I understand.

Expect many bug fixes and other additions to the app in the coming weeks.

One can only hope.

mountainboy Nov 19, 2019 7:11 pm

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f5b99cf0b2.jpg

Maybe they do it this way?

yyckerr Nov 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Norcanair (Post 31755716)

Update is published on App Store now

codfather Nov 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mountainboy (Post 31756155)

Amazing :D TATL on a DH3 would be legendary.

Any other incorrect aircraft issues being noticed on the app besides this?

marke190 Nov 19, 2019 7:57 pm

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b414ce0ae.jpeg

Looks like there's still some cleaning up that needs to be done. It doesn't seem to be an issue for places other than Saint John NB and St. John's NL as the app includes the province name for these places.

Genetk44 Nov 20, 2019 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 31755882)

Yeah..ok, finally found the online check-in button after some searching. As for the rest of your comment....glad you like it but it appears you’re really in the minority. The comments in various forums,news reports etc are overwhelmingly in agreement that the “ app upgrade” has pretty well Been a regression and downgraded the app.

Genetk44 Nov 20, 2019 4:38 am

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31755905)
The best migration to a new system I have ever seen from AC!

And no, I am not comparing it to the disaster that is the Amadeus transition...:D

Great...the transition was seamless...from a not so great usable functioning app to a complete dogs-breakfast of a completely multi-step,useless piece of garbage.