FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

FlyerTalker70 Nov 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31737995)
Automatically? (the old one did not)
Or with booking reference? (I've had no issue with the new one)

Evidently AC was using their B team to develop this app:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7166e5ded2.png

Yhztraveller Nov 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31738054)

I probably should not have upgraded in the middle of a run.... Had to go kill a few trees to get some paper boarding passes.

canadiancow Nov 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31738054)

Gee and I wonder why we don't get more participation from AC employees on FT.

canadiancow Nov 14, 2019 6:00 pm

But in response to that specific issue:

If you sign in with Aeroplan, all your bookings will show up, so I actually agree with their decision not to include migration logic. It would be run at most once, would only impact people who have Aeroplan bookings or bookings for other people, and would just be a waste of time when they could instead be working on useful features. Of my ~30 active future bookings, I think only 2 were not pulled down by my Aeroplan number. I can live with that.

Sure, doing it in the middle of an EYW run when you have all your electronic BPs in the app could be a pain. But other than that, it seems fine.

YYC traveler Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am

Enough positive feedback here to give me reason to update. Two findings so far, one negative and one positive. On my iPhone SE, the login screen doesn't properly centre, making entering my Aeroplan number very difficult. On the positive side, it looks like the app developers have properly designed the app for an iPad.

Based on my brief exploration of the functionality there are a number of features gone missing, there doesn't seem to be a Setting for syncing to my Calendar. Hopefully when this feature comes back I'll be able to control which iOS calendar. Upon login the app did download my existing bookings, but there seems to be a lack of information available for each booking, such as seat number. Am I missing something?

etkuo Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by YYC traveler (Post 31739854)
Enough positive feedback here to give me reason to update. Two findings so far, one negative and one positive. On my iPhone SE, the login screen doesn't properly centre, making entering my Aeroplan number very difficult. On the positive side, it looks like the app developers have properly designed the app for an iPad.

Based on my brief exploration of the functionality there are a number of features gone missing, there doesn't seem to be a Setting for syncing to my Calendar. Hopefully when this feature comes back I'll be able to control which iOS calendar. Upon login the app did download my existing bookings, but there seems to be a lack of information available for each booking, such as seat number. Am I missing something?

I use the sync to calendar function extensively and I also hope that it will come back in a future update, fingers crossed...

ridefar Nov 15, 2019 9:28 am

The other thing I have noticed that isn't done well/right/at all is integrating you KTN and passport information into the check in process. The new app doesn't seem to want to pull this from either your profile or the booking, so you have to enter it in again during check-in (or end up without pre-check).

canadiancow Nov 15, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 31740068)
The other thing I have noticed that isn't done well/right/at all is integrating you KTN and passport information into the check in process. The new app doesn't seem to want to pull this from either your profile or the booking, so you have to enter it in again during check-in (or end up without pre-check).

It's been filling all my information since being able to sign in with Aeroplan.

It's always using my passport though, when I'd rather it use NEXUS. And it's only filling my information, not my travel companion, even though I have all his data saved as a passenger in my profile.

VoodooYYC Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am

I am really underwhelmed. No information specific to your reservation available (Bistro or BRVG vouchers, fare class), and the total lack of seat info and ability to change it is unbelievable. What a hunk of garbage.

canadiancow Nov 15, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC (Post 31740148)
I am really underwhelmed. No information specific to your reservation available (Bistro or BRVG vouchers, fare class), and the total lack of seat info and ability to change it is unbelievable. What a hunk of garbage.

Have you considered that this may have been built with the Amadeus migration in mind?

VoodooYYC Nov 15, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31740164)
Have you considered that this may have been built with the Amadeus migration in mind?

So you think all these things will come live when the migration is complete? If so, then really, should they have waited post-migration to launch?

Another blazing achievement in the field of software development.

FlyerTalker70 Nov 15, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31738139)
Gee and I wonder why we don't get more participation from AC employees on FT.

Either that of the ongoing discussion of deflategate has ticked them off! LOL

lcohen999 Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC (Post 31740148)

I just went in to change a seat for a flight. It auto-loaded the website with the booking and I was able to change it there

No problems. It is a beta app, manage expectations. Overall I like the new app. I would like to see Google Pay integration and a few other things.

However, it loads fast and works fine. Especially the latest beta

lewis_m Nov 15, 2019 10:54 am

As of yesterday, it is production

secretalcoholic Nov 15, 2019 11:09 am

I haven't had the older AC iOS app in the past 3 months...feels good not to be dealing with it :)

Now I might just download it again with this version.

Nefii Nov 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by etkuo (Post 31740003)
I use the sync to calendar function extensively and I also hope that it will come back in a future update, fingers crossed...

the calendar sync was something I loved, I hate how TripIt does it. I tweeted to AC regarding the sync, hoping for a good response.

etgohomeok Nov 15, 2019 1:47 pm

My comments:
  1. The lack of any way to view seat maps and/or select seats is a big disappointment.
  2. Apparently my flight to Tokyo has been downgraded to a Dash-8.
  3. Android reports the app as using excessive battery power when it's running in the background not doing anything...
Overall, I liked the old app better.

YYT82 Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm

I found the new iOS version 5.0 being exceedingly slow. I should have waited until my runs are over before updating.

Any way to reverse an iOS update?

Bohemian1 Nov 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 31741005)
I found the new iOS version 5.0 being exceedingly slow. I should have waited until my runs are over before updating.

Any way to reverse an iOS update?

If it wasn't side-loaded to begin with, the only way I know is to restore from an earlier device backup. But this may not achieve the desired goal if you backup to iCloud as opposed to a local backup on your laptop.

tcook052 Nov 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Please note that a few posts have been deleted so let's refocus this thread discussion to be about the AC app.

tcook052

Jebby_ca Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm

A new update for iOS was just released... 5.0.1... not sure what was fixed, release notes just say bug fixes.

TechnoTourist Nov 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 31741407)
A new update for iOS was just released... 5.0.1... not sure what was fixed, release notes just say bug fixes.

5.0.1 for Android is out too. It replaces the old app, leaving the 5.0.0 (former beta) app alongside.

24left Nov 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Love the thanks part.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...274a940f00.png

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 15, 2019 5:15 pm

It’s been trying to load a flight of mine for 5 minutes. I’m annoyed.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 16, 2019 7:30 am

Just had to download 5.0.1. All 5 upcoming trips did not load initially despite adding my Aeroplan ID and password. Closed the app and logged back in triggered 3 of the flights to load. Like WaytoomuchEurope , my Aeroplan flights had to be manually added via the PNR.

Disappointed to have the Seat Preview option removed from this version.

Have to check-in to a flight in 70mins. Will see how that experience is.

canadiancow Nov 16, 2019 7:37 am

The check-in is the same as the old app for now.

tcook052 Nov 16, 2019 7:46 am

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...870981886.html

MONTREAL, Nov. 15, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada has launched a next generation Air Canada mobile app, now available for download on iOS and Android. Designed with customers at the center, the new app features an intuitive layout supported by the latest technologies, to deliver faster, more reliable performance.

"Air Canada is focused on making travel easier and more comfortable for everyone, particularly through the use of the latest technologies. Beyond the new features launching today, such as interactive airport maps with turn-by-turn directions for travellers, the new app provides the foundation necessary for future developments, most notably the launch of our new Loyalty program in 2020," said Mark Nasr, Vice President, Loyalty and eCommerce at Air Canada. "The app was designed and built entirely in Canada, in our Digital labs enabled by the Air Canada technology team."

From booking to boarding with one hand, the Air Canada mobile app is the ultimate travel assistant. It was developed after extensive consultation with customers and employees around the world, including the more than 18,000 flyers who participated in the Beta program.

Among its many features, in a first for a Canadian airline, the new app will display interactive airport maps of Toronto Pearson International Airport, Montreal Trudeau International Airport, and Vancouver International Airport. These detailed indoor maps will guide customers through flight connections, and help customers find gates, restaurants, restrooms, and the closest Air Canada lounge, along with estimated walking times. Other notable features include real-time upgrade/standby lists, inbound flight tracking, downloadable boarding passes and automatic flight notifications. The app also supports Aeroplan profile sign-in with expedited ticket purchase and check-in.

Updates to the app will rollout regularly, including releases that will work seamlessly with Aeroplan loyalty accounts, among other improvements.

lallied Nov 16, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ (Post 31743100)
Just had to download 5.0.1. All 5 upcoming trips did not load initially despite adding my Aeroplan ID and password. Closed the app and logged back in triggered 3 of the flights to load. Like WaytoomuchEurope , my Aeroplan flights had to be manually added via the PNR.

Disappointed to have the Seat Preview option removed from this version.

Have to check-in to a flight in 70mins. Will see how that experience is.

its horrible.

YVRtoYYZ Nov 16, 2019 8:52 am

Update:

1) As canadiancow indicated, the mobile check-in process is the same as the old app

2) The boarding pass shows SE with a black circle and Star Alliance Gold with a gold circle but no idea why those icons are there. I assume it is to indicate status with AC and amongst the Star Alliance network.

3) Still no seat preview after check-in

4) On a bright note, my flight is 2/12 in J and both parties have checked-in.

YWG-RO Nov 16, 2019 5:58 pm

This new app is pretty pathetic.

musicmtl Nov 16, 2019 6:27 pm

I'd really like to see the seat preview return. And, we also need the boarding passes to be more directly accessible. It feels like everything is all over the place. My flights, separate from flight status, separate from boarding pass. They should all be combined. The best word I can use to describe it is the French éparpillée.

flyquiet Nov 16, 2019 6:28 pm

I can't find how to tell the app to add the "DEAF" tag to the Remarks so I can't use the app unless I want the whole rigamarole of asking the twitter team to fix it.

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31744766)
I can't find how to tell the app to add the "DEAF" tag to the Remarks so I can't use the app unless I want the whole rigamarole of asking the twitter team to fix it.

That's good feedback for them and you should let them know. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not their only hearing impaired customer.

flyquiet Nov 16, 2019 7:14 pm

I have indeed passed the comment on already. It would surely apply to requests for mobility accommodations and other disabilities as well.
(Don't want to derail the thread but a gentle observation that "hearing impaired" is what others call us, not what we call ourselves. Some are hard of hearing, or identify as people with hearing loss, and others are deaf or deafened, and the difference among us is almost as great as the difference between us and the rest of you.)

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 17, 2019 12:46 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31744869)
I have indeed passed the comment on already. It would surely apply to requests for mobility accommodations and other disabilities as well.
(Don't want to derail the thread but a gentle observation that "hearing impaired" is what others call us, not what we call ourselves. Some are hard of hearing, or identify as people with hearing loss, and others are deaf or deafened, and the difference among us is almost as great as the difference between us and the rest of you.)

I appreciate being set straight, and with gentleness no less.

Here's hoping they quickly address your needs in the app.

codfather Nov 17, 2019 12:57 am

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31745388)
I appreciate being set straight, and with gentleness no less.

Here's hoping they quickly address your needs in the app.

I second that! I am sure they will be quite accommodating, but it is the airport GAs that (sometimes) aren't as helpful with accommodations like this.

Late (or is it early now) posting for me here, I couldn't fall asleep so just sitting here doing work/going on FT while waiting for my morning flight.

I think I may be an insomniac...

Smiley90 Nov 17, 2019 1:00 am

Logging in with my Aeroplan account did definitely NOT bring all my bookings back. Sigh. To re-add them all manually one by one, ugh.

Also severely disappointed at the lack of seatmap/seat selection. Such a basic feature that has to be there.

codfather Nov 17, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 31745406)
Logging in with my Aeroplan account did definitely NOT bring all my bookings back. Sigh. To re-add them all manually one by one, ugh.

Also severely disappointed at the lack of seatmap/seat selection. Such a basic feature that has to be there.

I was also very surprised by the lack of a seat map...

Overall, I really like the new app, but it does seem to be missing a lot of the detail that the old app had. Like a lot...

42000ft Nov 17, 2019 1:51 am

The aesthetic of the new app is nice, sleek and modern. But I can't believe you can't manage/request eUpgrades in their own app still....

YYT82 Nov 17, 2019 2:50 am

I really HATE this new AC app. It is excruciatingly slow.

I am debating whether to uninstall it and just use the website.