Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 19, 7:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: codfather
Wiki Link

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 19, 19, 6:08 pm

This "newly designed app" is like we went back to the early 80's? Who is in charge of this stuff? Seriously.
Old Dec 20, 19, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
This "newly designed app" is like we went back to the early 80's? Who is in charge of this stuff? Seriously.
Lolol...no it isn’t. No smart phones or ipads or laptops or apps back then. Just handwritten paper tickets, actual hot food on the aircraft with thickly-padded seats.😁
painintheuk and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, BW Diamond
Si after a bunch of flights, I absolutely hate the new app.
I only managed once to check-in and have my BP in the App.
I can never see my seat.
I get notifications from flights that were completed already.
Etc.

The app is not intuitive at all, I always search where to find some screen I've seen once and want to get back to.

Seriously AC do you need some testers on your app? I have rarely seen an "upgrade" be such a downgrade from the previous version...
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy View Post
Seriously AC do you need some testers on your app? I have rarely seen an "upgrade" be such a downgrade from the previous version...
Every app has full time testers. Some apps have isolated regular end users.
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: AC E50K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
This morning I received the check-in now email so when to the app to check-in. No go. The flight shows in my "Trips" and in "Flight Status" but no option available to Check-in. So I tried "More ..." and Check-in button, copied in my PNR for the upcoming flight. Still no go, error message indicates they were embarrassed. I would be too.

Used my desktop and the aircanada.com website to check-in without issue and send my boarding pass via SMS to my phone.
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Well I don't know their QC routines or if they actually fly but it's seriously bad.
yulsee likes this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Well whoever the testers were, they failed...and so do the developers and AC management. This thing is batting 98% average for terrible reviews...and it is pretty awful. Total fail.
Old Dec 20, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by flying chef View Post
Does the new app show seat assignments? If yes, where.
It does in a roundabout way (taking you to the AC website instead of showing it to you in the app), but here's where I found mine:

- On your itinerary, tap the square of the date for your flight
- Tap the blue "Change" link
- Scroll down to Passengers, tap the drop down arrow
Old Dec 21, 19, 11:04 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It has now been at least two, maybe three weeks since the last update. HELLO AC app people! Anyone home? Is anyone paying attention? Has anyone figured out that your app is crap and needs work? HELLO???
Old Dec 21, 19, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by YYC traveler View Post
This morning I received the check-in now email so when to the app to check-in. No go. The flight shows in my "Trips" and in "Flight Status" but no option available to Check-in. So I tried "More ..." and Check-in button, copied in my PNR for the upcoming flight. Still no go, error message indicates they were embarrassed. I would be too.

Used my desktop and the aircanada.com website to check-in without issue and send my boarding pass via SMS to my phone.
Interesting. I checked in a few hours ago, but the app keeps giving me the 'Check in is now open - Check in' option. It also says that I'm in Business, even though I'm just in PY for the first leg, but maybe there will be a nice surprise in the morning!

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:02 pm

Android app update!

• Reintroduced the Altitude Digital Card. Access it from the Aeroplan tab.
• Save your NEXUS information to your saved traveler profile, and have it automatically added to your next check-in.
• Resolved an issue which prevented the Check-in button from appearing on Trips.
• Addressed an issue which prevented access to the boarding pass directly from Trips for some customers.
• Improved the reliability of bookings automatically retrieved by Aeroplan.
canadiancow and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by musicmtl View Post
Android app update!
Is this 5.0.4? I'm still seeing 5.0.3 in Google Play, but the app update date is Dec 20 via laptop instead of Nov 29 on my phone.

Laptop above, phone below
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Mine is 5.1.2
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Mine is 5.1.2
A minor rev and a couple patch builds. Maybe they took the time to test and stabilize this release.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post
A minor rev and a couple patch builds. Maybe they took the time to test and stabilize this release.
That makes a huge assumption that they're following Semantic Versioning. They might be, but I don't see much reason to assume that at this point.

But as someone who has done semver for mobile apps, this would suggest to me that they released 5.1.0 to some size of audience, it had issues, they released 5.1.1 to the same audience, it had issues, they released 5.1.2, and it performed well, so they gave it to everyone... or maybe I'm just in the 5% that's getting 5.1.2.

The only thing I noticed immediately (based on the changelog) was the Altitude card and the "use NEXUS for US check-in" option. I can do a proper test of the latter option on Thursday night.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: