Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 19, 7:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: codfather
Wiki Link

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 2, 19, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYC traveler View Post
Apparently I posted as moderators we’re moving things around. The new app is feature deficient at best and a major regression at worse. BTW congratulations on 1000 posts.

Indeed @Bravada04, congrats on 1,000. I saw 999 posts and I was waiting.

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
Thank You! Hopefully they are changing things because this is a severe downgrade from the old one...…...and that one was bad!

It shows me next to nothing on my upcoming flights...

Just curious when you say "some posters" - is it hit and miss as in some people can see / choose their seats and some cannot?
I have not followed all the "look what else is missing from the app" details. I've just seen posts with people unable to get the seat map. I assumed it's because there isn't one. IIRC, someone said they just used the AC mobile website and accessed it there. I can't access some of my bookings on AC's website, as 2 bookings have been "handled" by AC concierges or res agents. And as you saw above, I can't add another to the app.
Old Dec 2, 19, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I'm trying to look up flight status by route between YYZ and YUL today. Even though I keep selecting that I only want YYZ and not YTO, it keeps giving me both YYZ and YTZ flights in the results
I think that is actually something to do with the back end. I was booking reward flights to YYZ and the web site kept giving me YTZ/Toronto Island as the preferred choice long form destination. YYZ was listed second even though I only typed YYZ. So they are kind of messed up. All over.
Old Dec 2, 19, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
My bookings are no longer disappearing when I cancel them. I can't recall if that ever worked in the new app, but it certainly did in the old.
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Just updated the app:

🙄
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:43 am

Thanks! I didn't even realize I hit 1000 posts? …..you folks on FT are really on the ball! I have gained such valuable information on this forum from all the experienced flyers. Some very grateful to answer stupid questions and some not
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, P25K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
My bookings are no longer disappearing when I cancel them. I can't recall if that ever worked in the new app, but it certainly did in the old.
I had the same issue, if one selects the cancelled booking, it brings up the cancelled legs and one can remove the booking. A bit clumsy to say the least.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: AC: E50K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
It is, without question and by a wide margin, the worst travel app I have ever seen. “Upgrading” to the new version was a monumental misstep.

No seat preview, no connection or baggage claim info, no connection to Plusgrade just to mention a few issues. Oh, and little things, like being able to match the operating aircraft type to the operating segment.

What a joke.
Bravada04, HerpaYvr and traacs like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In today's effort to add trip back to the app that was there just after migration.....

Oooooh, exciting. Got my first AC app emoji.

Note to AC: it was YOUR website.

Then I thought let's try with the old PNR

And one last time again, best 2 out of 3

If I keep trying to add my trip back, will the AC app keep giving me different error codes? Will it make me dinner? Serve me PDB?

I thought not.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC P25K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
In today's effort to add trip back to the app that was there just after migration.....

Oooooh, exciting. Got my first AC app emoji.

Note to AC: it was YOUR website.

Then I thought let's try with the old PNR

And one last time again, best 2 out of 3

If I keep trying to add my trip back, will the AC app keep giving me different error codes? Will it make me dinner? Serve me PDB?

I thought not.
Tell me I'm not the only one that cannot stand the use of emojis in the new app!

This drives me crazy when I try to do something on the app and it fails to load, I get either a smirking emoji or a tongue-out emoji telling me it failed...

Old Dec 4, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I don't dare open the app anymore lest all of my flights disappear into a big swirly thing.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Tell me I'm not the only one that cannot stand the use of emojis in the new app!

This drives me crazy when I try to do something on the app and it fails to load, I get either a smirking emoji or a tongue-out emoji telling me it failed...

+1. These emojis are ridiculous.

24left likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:20 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
I don’t know if they’re trying to be all hip and cater to “dem yutes” (my cousin vinny reference) but in my opinion the emojis give a very unprofessional ambiance, especially when the airline stated it’s trying to be a premier airline. They subliminally say “we are not going to threat you like the adults you are, and we don’t take our IT problems seriously”. If I were CIO, I would tell the dev team to grow up and make a product their grandfather would be proud of. Simple, robust, practical and professional.
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Mustang Sally

Replying to you app comment here in the App thread

Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post
The new normal:
  • Unable to log-in to AP or Altitude using Chrome on a Mac for weeks
  • Can't access business class seat maps when booking (on anything)
  • And post Amadeus bookings won't load on the app:

See posts above (338 and onward) as well as others in recent days in this thread
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
The emoji are just a graphical version of "the thing you wanted to do and should be able to do will not work due to some unspecified screw up on our part. [OK button]"
No, no it's not okay. Give me another button to click, perhaps starting with F.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Is it just me or does the new app no longer provide an opportunity to enter your KTN if you’re using passport as the travel document?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: