FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

Jebby_ca Oct 31, 19 2:26 am

Has a new build of the beta app been released? Iím still using the version that was released a few weeks ago...

FifthBiz Oct 31, 19 5:03 am

Nope. Still on the first version.

codfather Oct 31, 19 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by J.L.C. (Post 31684324)
I was able to join and will test it this weekend.

Maybe it's how they're making up for moving me from J to PY after boarding last weekend.

Interesting! I wonder why it told me the beta was full when I tried to join a few weeks ago...

douglasr Nov 4, 19 8:26 pm

I was cleaning up storage on my Android phone (Pixel 2) and noticed that the new app is using up 3.12GB of storage on my phone; 65MB for the cache and 2.98GB of user data. Yes, I wrote the units correctly: gigabytes. I'm not sure what they are storing but that seems a bit excessive. 😉

codfather Nov 4, 19 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by douglasr (Post 31702034)
I was cleaning up storage on my Android phone (Pixel 2) and noticed that the new app is using up 3.12GB of storage on my phone; 65MB for the cache and 2.98GB of user data. Yes, I will the units correctly: gigabytes. I'm not sure what they are storing but that seems a bit excessive. 😉

Holy moly! I will have to check mine!

If only we knew a software engineer that could explain why this is the case? :D

Paging canadiancow

canadiancow Nov 4, 19 8:48 pm

Mine is using a similar amount. Let me see what I can determine...

I'm also getting flight notifications for flights today, even though I'm not flying today. The same flights I took yesterday.

codfather Nov 4, 19 8:51 pm

The app is only using 82.2 MB of storage space on my iPhone 11 so perhaps this is only a problem with Android devices.

canadiancow Nov 4, 19 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702093)
The app is only using 82.2 MB of storage space on my iPhone 11 so perhaps this is only a problem with Android devices.

Don't confuse "the Android app" with "Android devices".

AC is using 3x more storage on my phone than the next largest app, Snapchat, which has a ton of photos.

douglasr Nov 4, 19 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702060)
Holy moly! I will have to check mine!

If only we knew a software engineer that could explain why this is the case? :D

Paging canadiancow

I'm a software developer too; but based on my experience, though limited with mobile apps and the myriad ways to architect them, I see no reason for this. The old app is only using 156MB and has an online schedule downloaded so it's not that. And I've only got 9 trips loaded into "My Trips" so it can't possibly be that.

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 4, 19 9:08 pm

106 MB on iPhone XR

24left Nov 4, 19 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31702131)
106 MB on iPhone XR

122.8 on iPhone XS

codfather Nov 4, 19 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31702103)
Don't confuse "the Android app" with "Android devices".

AC is using 3x more storage on my phone than the next largest app, Snapchat, which has a ton of photos.

Uh oh...

Apple VS. Android, maybe we should move this thread to TechRadar lol

I should have said app all the same, my mistake.

24left Nov 4, 19 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702135)
Uh oh...

Apple VS. Android, maybe we should move this thread to TechRadar lol

I should have said app all the same, my mistake.

I actually think it's interesting to see the different amounts of space AC's app takes up on a variety of devices.

JustSomeGuy1978 Nov 4, 19 9:21 pm

151 Mb for me. If its user data maybe there is a bunch of saved searches or other peoples data (say you inputted someone elses aeroplan #). Or even due to a lot of flights booked or the past

SparseFlyer Nov 4, 19 9:22 pm

5.1MB on Android VIP

But I literally just reinstalled it.