FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

YYT82 Jan 14, 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31947737)
Does anyone feel secure doing this? I wouldn’t, even if the app worked properly.

Aside from the bare minimum like address and phone number, I have nothing else saved with my AC profile. Heck, I don't even trust them to handle that information with care.

Bravada04 Jan 14, 2020 5:39 am

Yes, I do have a flight status icon. When I open that up it says "Upcoming or subscribed flights will automatically appear here with their flight status when the time is right"?

I have two trips on my app - First one departing on Feb.06 and one further out. Should the Feb. 06 one be at least showing?

PB53x11 Jan 14, 2020 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31948270)
Yes, I do have a flight status icon. When I open that up it says "Upcoming or subscribed flights will automatically appear here with their flight status when the time is right"?

I have two trips on my app - First one departing on Feb.06 and one further out. Should the Feb. 06 one be at least showing?

Way too early. I'm not sure how close to departure it will show, possibly two days before departure.

ridefar Jan 14, 2020 7:07 am

Does anyone feel secure doing this?

Yes.

Do you have any sort of social media account? Do you online bank? Do you buy anything online? Do ever you use a browser that is not in "incognito" mode? Do you use strong passwords for everything online? Have you ever used an online dating site? Have you ever used Google to search for something? Do you have a smart phone? I could go on. You probably get my point.

Swiftler Jan 14, 2020 7:15 am

Its all in the system. Would you rather show your NEXUS card to the check-in agent every time going to the States?

Bravada04 Jan 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by PB53x11 (Post 31948551)
Way too early. I'm not sure how close to departure it will show, possibly two days before departure.

OK Thanks! So I guess I can't do anything on the app in relation to seats; upgrades etc., until it shows up with more options/information.

....such a downgrade.

marchelli Jan 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31947062)
Been over a month now and still no Altitude card in the mobile app for iOS users. Not very good...

I can confirm, Altitude card now shows for IOS users!!

Sopwith Jan 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 31948567)
Yes.

Do you have any sort of social media account? Do you online bank? Do you buy anything online? Do ever you use a browser that is not in "incognito" mode? Do you use strong passwords for everything online? Have you ever used an online dating site? Have you ever used Google to search for something? Do you have a smart phone? I could go on. You probably get my point.

I obviously have some of those, but few if any have my passport/Nexus info. It just seems risky, if not plain dumb to store that info on an AC (or any) app.

codfather Jan 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by marchelli (Post 31950078)
I can confirm, Altitude card now shows for IOS users!!

Well...talk about efficiency! Lol

RangerNS Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Does anyone feel secure doing this? I wouldn’t, even if the app worked properly.

Its just a number. Any important use of a NEXUS card, they are going to cross reference it against biometrics and a central system.

canadiancow Jan 14, 2020 8:27 pm

And it's not like it isn't going to end up in AC's systems anyway.

eigenvector Jan 15, 2020 7:05 am

Updated to iOS 5.1.6 yesterday and overnight it consumed all the available space on my iPhone - over 4 GB. Bizarre.

musicmtl Jan 15, 2020 7:35 am

Android 5.1.6 update now live. Still no seat selection. :(

• Reintroduced the Altitude Digital Card. Access it from the Aeroplan tab.
• Save your NEXUS information to your saved traveler profile, and have it automatically added to your next check-in.
• Resolved an issue which prevented the Check-in button from appearing on Trips.
• Addressed an issue which prevented access to the boarding pass directly from Trips for some customers.
• Improved the reliability of bookings automatically retrieved by Aeroplan.

ridefar Jan 15, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31951497)
I obviously have some of those, but few if any have my passport/Nexus info. It just seems risky, if not plain dumb to store that info on an AC (or any) app.

OK, so why is that any different than sharing your phone number, credit card, address, birth date, email address, answers to "security" questions, etc. With the websites, apps, or companies that I mentioned in my original list? Frankly why should I care if anybody knows my KTN? I would be a lot more concerned about my credit card data than my KTN. KTN only helps somebody that is booking travel as me, with the associated other data and biometrics. (Not likely.) I am genuinely curious if you know of some risk here that I am not aware of, or if this is just a generic concern because it feels like it is the equivalent of your passport and therefore special. And if it is the latter I would suggest the feeling is unfounded in genuine risk.

Sopwith Jan 15, 2020 10:42 am

Okay, ... good luck.

canadiancow Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am

Android 5.1.7 is out. Presumably just bug fixes.

painintheuk Jan 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31958386)

Weird. Mine is still at 5.03. My phone says last updated November and I can't seem to force an update short of uninstall and reinstall. When I use my desktop to look at Google Play, it also says 5.03, but last updated today.

Dr. PITUK

canadiancow Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 31959607)
Weird. Mine is still at 5.03. My phone says last updated November and I can't seem to force an update short of uninstall and reinstall. When I use my desktop to look at Google Play, it also says 5.03, but last updated today.

Dr. PITUK

They're probably rolling it out gradually. I suspect 5.1.6 had an issue, so they stopped that, fixed it, and rolled out a new version.

You can always download it from https://apkpure.com/air-canada/com.aircanada (seems like 5.1.6 is the latest there) if you want. If it installs over top of your old version, then you can be assured it's a legitimate version.

Adam Smith Jan 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31958386)

I was also able to update to 5.1.7 today. Seems no different.

douglasr Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31959730)

Still no update for me. And when I go to the Play Store web it shows the update date as 16-Jan-2020 but the version as 5.0.3 still. Definitely some strangeness going on.

YYC3722 Jan 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31959730)

5.1.7 seems to have fixed the crashing issue viewing flight status with a slow connection on Android 10

TechnoTourist Jan 18, 2020 6:34 am

Originally Posted by douglasr (Post 31962907)
Still no update for me. And when I go to the Play Store web it shows the update date as 16-Jan-2020 but the version as 5.0.3 still. Definitely some strangeness going on.

I was still showing 5.0.3 in the play store so I installed 5.1.7 from https://m.apkpure.com/air-canada/com.aircanada

Bravada04 Jan 18, 2020 11:47 am

How close to the flight should a person expect to see something / able to do anything other than what I mentioned earlier on? Are you still able to do a bid upgrade on the app? My next flight is on Feb.06 and at this time I have no options on my app to do anything other than it shows the flight times in my trips.

eigenvector Jan 19, 2020 10:08 am

The app won't allow OCLI for Omni-operated flights saying they aren't operated by AC, but you can check in for these on AC.com without issue.

Adam Smith Jan 21, 2020 8:02 am

This morning, the AC app keeps crashing after just a few seconds every time I open it. I've tried force stopping it, and I've tried restarting my phone, but the issue persists. I guess the next step would probably be to uninstall and reinstall. Anyone else having issues?

canadiancow Jan 21, 2020 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31976991)
This morning, the AC app keeps crashing after just a few seconds every time I open it. I've tried force stopping it, and I've tried restarting my phone, but the issue persists. I guess the next step would probably be to uninstall and reinstall. Anyone else having issues?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2399684552.png

Same issue.

Could try clearing app data, but my suspicion is the API response changed and the app can't handle it.

ffsim Jan 21, 2020 9:15 am

In the iOS world, both the “Trips” and individual reservations pages seem to update normally. “We are retrieving your reservations...” becomes “Updated less than 1 minute ago.” Flight status queries and mock bookings also seem to work fine.

The above is not a commentary about mobile platforms, just an observation about app functionality ;):cool:

YOWCDNFF Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31976991)

Yes, crashing since this morning on Android

Adam Smith Jan 21, 2020 11:47 am

So, AC has broken the Android version, but not iOS. Interesting.

canadiancow Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31977938)
So, AC has broken the Android version, but not iOS. Interesting.

Given their use of Kotlin, my suspicion would be that the assumed some field would never be null (which is the default assumption in Kotlin), so after some backend update, the app is crashing, rather than just gracefully handling it.

Adam Smith Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31977941)
Given their use of Kotlin, my suspicion would be that the assumed some field would never be null (which is the default assumption in Kotlin), so after some backend update, the app is crashing, rather than just gracefully handling it.

All Greek to me, but you sound like you know what you're talking about ;)

YOWCDNFF Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Appears to be fixed now...

Aselwyn Jan 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31953113)
Updated to iOS 5.1.6 yesterday and overnight it consumed all the available space on my iPhone - over 4 GB. Bizarre.

same here it just eats up all free space on your device hopefully they patch it soon and not eat all the storage

traacs Jan 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Today unable to get flight info for jazz flights

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/c8c34e0a-7399-46fe-a031-9bd4b5c70a99[/img]

Bravada04 Jan 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Ladies / Gents...…….need your expertise. Flight is on Feb.06 and still can't do anything on the app. Just showing flight times...…….I hit the other options and it says information will show when "the time is right"? Is this normal and just a brutal upgraded app? I have seen screen screenshots on FT that show other information but I can't imagine I am only 5 days out and I have no options to do anything or even see anything?

canadiancow Jan 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 32018671)
Ladies / Gents...…….need your expertise. Flight is on Feb.06 and still can't do anything on the app. Just showing flight times...…….I hit the other options and it says information will show when "the time is right"? Is this normal and just a brutal upgraded app? I have seen screen screenshots on FT that show other information but I can't imagine I am only 5 days out and I have no options to do anything or even see anything?

What options are you looking for?

painintheuk Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 32018671)

Unless you are trying to book an upgrade, then what are you hoping to do on the app? I don't think that it does much that far out - even on the best of days!

Dr. PITUK

Bravada04 Feb 1, 2020 5:50 am

10-4 Thanks. Maybe I was expecting more out of this app? I just thought that I would be able to see/change seats if desired; do an upgrade if desired; see the type of plane etc., It just seems so dull and I guess really allows you to do nothing.I compare it to the UA or DL app and there are so many more options on those to actually manage your bookings / account.It looks like everything needs to be done off the desktop.

aircrashsurvivor Feb 1, 2020 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 32019835)
10-4 Thanks. Maybe I was expecting more out of this app? I just thought that I would be able to see/change seats if desired; do an upgrade if desired; see the type of plane etc., It just seems so dull and I guess really allows you to do nothing.I compare it to the UA or DL app and there are so many more options on those to actually manage your bookings / account.It looks like everything needs to be done off the desktop.

hahahah change ? Seats .... the app doesn’t even show seats.... yours or a map....It’s not much use When I add flights to my iCal I have more information
All it does is give you a chronological listing of your flights

Adam Smith Feb 1, 2020 7:34 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 32018723)
Unless you are trying to book an upgrade, then what are you hoping to do on the app?

The app doesn't do upgrades.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 32019835)

Yes, it's a pretty useless app. Your expectations weren't unreasonable when looking at what else is out there in the market. But this is AC, remember, which is the worst at IT :)